Windows 10: Audio works for just a few minutes

Discus and support Audio works for just a few minutes in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; down votefavorite I swapped my previous PSU since it had failed. I've been having this issue since then. I boot up the computer, start watching a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by yavuz650, Nov 26, 2016.

1. yavuz650 Win User

Audio works for just a few minutes

down votefavorite
    I swapped my previous PSU since it had failed. I've been having this issue since then. I boot up the computer, start watching a video, after a few minutes the audio goes off completely and I start hearing that whizzing noise, though it's very quiet. Now, if I reboot the computer it starts working for a few minutes and goes off again. During that time the sound quality is noticeably bad.
    I've tried reinstalling the audio driver. Didn't help. Formatted the computer entirely, installed drivers. Didn't help. Updated GPU driver just in case, didn't help. Tried other audio devices, didn't help. I also made sure I was using the correct rear port. Updated BIOS, still not workin
    6600k MSI Z170M Mortar RX 480 8gb 16GB RAM Antec HCG-620 PSU Windows 10 64-bit
    This looks like a motherboard issue, though I'm not sure what to do about it. I really am desperate at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

down votefavorite
    I swapped my previous PSU since it had failed. I've been having this issue since then. I boot up the computer, start watching a video, after a few minutes the audio goes off completely and I start hearing that whizzing noise, though it's very quiet. Now, if I reboot the computer it starts working for a few minutes and goes off again. During that time the sound quality is noticeably bad.
    I've tried reinstalling the audio driver. Didn't help. Formatted the computer entirely, installed drivers. Didn't help. Updated GPU driver just in case, didn't help. Tried other audio devices, didn't help. I also made sure I was using the correct rear port. Updated BIOS, still not workin
    MSI Z170M Mortar
    RX 480 8gb
    16GB RAM
    Antec HCG-620 PSU
    Windows 10 64-bit
    This looks like a motherboard issue, though I'm not sure what to do about it. I really am desperate at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

yavuz650, Nov 26, 2016

2. Cortana only works for a few minutes then seems like it times out.

I've tried that several times and like I said it only works up to 10 or 12 times and then it either times itself out or it quits working once I upon up Chrome or any application. My question is, if Cortana can hear me and she answers me up to 10 or 12
    times right in a row; why then can't she hear me after I open up Chrome or an application? Or is she just timing out? I'm tired of going through the same routine of either disabling Realtek and rebooting my computer and I'm tired of having to set up the
    microphone. Every time I set up the mic, it says that everything is working fine.......but yet it won't work. I still say it's a Microsoft programming problem!

ElaineBigot, Nov 26, 2016
  3. Cortana only works for a few minutes then seems like it times out.

I went int Device Manager, Sounds, when I clicked on sounds I found two devices; AMD and Realtek. I right clicked on Realtek and checked Uninstall. Then it tells me to restart my computer. After I did that, Cortana worked about 10 or 12 times and could
    hear me fine, but the minute I opened up an application, I get her message "Sorry about that, I didn't hear anything". Why won't it work once I open up an application? Or it is just "timing out" for some reason? I've tried about 12 different suggestions
    and nothing works. I'm frustrated because this is a NEW computer and everything should work fine.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ElaineBigot, Nov 26, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

According to the excellent Outervision.com Power Supply calculator from what I can guess about your overall system configuration (you really should provide complete system specs, you know) you don't appear to have underprovisioned your machine with the Antec PSU model you've got. If it's relatively new, as I suspect it is, you may want to contact them about obtaining a warranty replacement. The symptoms you describe could indeed indicate a defective PSU. The other likely cause could be a short of some kind, perhaps between the case and the mobo (around where the audio chip resides). You probably want to check your mobo standoffs and make sure all connections are tight and sound.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 26, 2016
Thema:

1. Audio works for just a few minutes - Similar Threads - Audio works few

2. Windows Button not working after few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Button not working after few minutes: Hi Friends,I have an issue with my keyboard internal or external keyboardMy Start Menu is working well, nothing wrong about that.Expected behavior:When push Windows Button on keyboard, the start menu button appear, or use a shortkey for exampleWin + L for Lock screen or Win +...
  3. Windows Button not working after few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Button not working after few minutes: Hi Friends,I have an issue with my keyboard internal or external keyboardMy Start Menu is working well, nothing wrong about that.Expected behavior:When push Windows Button on keyboard, the start menu button appear, or use a shortkey for exampleWin + L for Lock screen or Win +...
  4. Sound stops working after a few minutes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound stops working after a few minutes: Hi, I am having trouble with my laptops speakers. The sound just stopped working out of the blue. Its not physical damage and I have updated, rolled back, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and watched many many youtube tutorials but nothing seems to work. Sometimes when i...
  5. Sound stops working after a few minutes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound stops working after a few minutes: Hi, I am having trouble with my laptops speakers. The sound just stopped working out of the blue. Its not physical damage and I have updated, rolled back, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and watched many many youtube tutorials but nothing seems to work. Sometimes when i...
  6. audio doesnt work in a few scenarios

in Windows 10 Customization
    audio doesnt work in a few scenarios: audio turns off whenever im playing a game and join a party or game mode that requires voice chat. audio also turns off whenever i open my sound control panel and click the "recording" tab. ive factory reset the pc, made sure all of the drivers are up to date, there doesnt...
  7. Audio randomly cuts out every few minutes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio randomly cuts out every few minutes: This began to happen fairly recently, probably over the past few days. My audio is cutting out/lagging randomly when listening to Spotify and/or playing games for example. I'm using a DGX Xonar 5.1 soundcard for my toslink hi-fi system, as well as bluetooth headphones and...
  8. Bluetooth Microphone working for a few minutes then stopping

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Microphone working for a few minutes then stopping: For a long time, my headphones have worked just fine, until a couple weeks ago when randomly the mic would just stop working, if I restarted my headset, then it would work just fine again for the next few minutes. In the sound tab I can see my mic picking up audio and then...
  9. WiFi adapter working for a few minutes then no internet access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi adapter working for a few minutes then no internet access: WiFi on my desktop has been working perfectly for a few months but now since a couple days ago my WiFi keeps failing to connect after a few minutes of being connected. It isn't my WiFi modem as I made a wireless hotspot on my phone and it still disconnects. I have looked...
  10. Black screen death a few minutes after working normally

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen death a few minutes after working normally: I've looked at other threads regarding the black-screen issue but my problem seems a little different. Since I installed Windows 10 on my HP Pavilion laptop it boots up OK and I can get as far as my desktop. The taskbar settles in nicely and all seems fine. But if I open...