Windows 10: Audit Mode and Robocopy

Discus and support Audit Mode and Robocopy in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So today I had an interesting issue. I had a data transfer from an old hard drive to a newly purchased system. It wasnt my system, else I would've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dysfeathered, May 14, 2019.

1. Audit Mode and Robocopy

So today I had an interesting issue. I had a data transfer from an old hard drive to a newly purchased system. It wasnt my system, else I would've follow windows oobe and then transfered the files.

Instead, i hit control+shift+F3 to enter audit mode and then I opened PS as admin and ran mkdir C:\Windows.old followed by robocopy /E /V /R:0 /W:0 D:\ C:\Windows.old

I then checked the files via PS with Dir C:\Windows.old; thr files were present. I then checked in file explorer the files were present. So I gave it back to the guy and said that it was good to go.

He goes through oobe and sets up his new user account. He goes to look at the files and hr cannot see them in file explorer. So he brings it back.

I vetified that the files are not visible in explorer. but then i opened PS as admin and ran Dir C:\Windows.old and the files are there.

Why are the files visible via PS but not via file explorer? How do I make them visible in file explorer?

:)

Dysfeathered, May 14, 2019

2. Audit mode

Hi Diane,

Windows boots into Windows Welcome Mode and Audit Mode. Windows Welcome Mode
    is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

• Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the
      Search
      field at the taskbar.
    • Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize
      DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

• Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, May 14, 2019
  3. Windows 10 won't install in Audit Mode

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Audit mode is used to add customizations to Windows images. When you use audit mode, the system does not have to apply settings in Windows Welcome. OEMs and corporations should use audit mode to complete their manual customizations.

Is your computer connected to working environment or any domain?

Reply us with the information so that we can proceed with the next step.

Thank You.

Uttam Yadav, May 14, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Audit Mode and Robocopy

Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

Thanks - I was unaware of the search issue as I rarely use it anyway, or I search from from file explorer (force of habit).

cereberus, May 14, 2019
Thema:

Audit Mode and Robocopy

1. Audit Mode and Robocopy - Similar Threads - Audit Mode Robocopy

2. Audit mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audit mode: How do I get out of audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audit-mode/806c0874-884f-479b-8ddb-dee09d104dc4
  3. Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE: Hi, I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin...
  4. What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode?

in Windows 10 News
    What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode?: [ATTACH]Have you ever wondered how OEMs deploy Windows 10 OS with their own set of apps and drivers? Or how does the recovery partition helps […] This article What is Audit Mode in Windows 10? How to boot into or out of Audit Mode? first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  5. what is audit mode

what is audit mode: my win 10 won't install because it's in audit mode. what is audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-audit-mode/d0b1a6aa-be1e-4abb-b82b-1a3e54675033
  6. Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode: We have a Windows 10 WIM configured with the required software. When I pull down the pre-Syspreped image (which was captured while in Audit Mode), I am unable to use Windows Update to patch the image. How are you folks handling the updates to your gold Windows 10 images?...
  7. Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode

Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode: I customized my Windows 10 in Audit Mode and created a answer file by the Windows System Image Manager. CopyProfile in the answer file is set on true In the customization I removed the Edge browser Icon and the Windows Store from the Task bar. I know that pinned Icons at...
  8. Win10 Enterprise; suddenly in audit mode?

Win10 Enterprise; suddenly in audit mode?: Guys, hear me out... VMware ESXi virtual machine. Installed Win10 Enterprise, went into audit mode, did my installs and whatnot. Shut down the machine. Copied that vm and ran sysprep, everything seems just fine and dandy. Activated Windows, put into domain. Used a domain...
  9. Audit Mode going into OOBE

Audit Mode going into OOBE: Hello all, Why is it that when I am in audit mode and I set my .theme package, I then OOBE out, and it deletes the theme that I installed? Do I need to add the theme to an unattended XML file? 78210
  10. Sysprep and Audit Mode questions

Sysprep and Audit Mode questions: I'm noticing some stuff when running sysprep on an image: - I uninstalled OneDrive in Audit Mode, but after generalization it comes right back? Any way to keep it uninstalled? - Windows Updates seemingly gets undone after going to OOBE, and some drivers got reverted as...