Windows 10: audit mode in win10 version 1909 impossible to print

Discus and support audit mode in win10 version 1909 impossible to print in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I created with MediaCreationTool a USB stick with Win10Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.418 So I installed Windows on a new PC. At the first start I called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ComIn, Dec 8, 2019.

1. ComIn Win User

audit mode in win10 version 1909 impossible to print

I created with MediaCreationTool a USB stick with Win10Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.418
    So I installed Windows on a new PC.
    At the first start I called the Audit Mode with (Shift+Ctrl+F3).
    From now on it is no longer possible to print.
    The Windows installed printers (Microsoft Print to PDF, Microsoft XPS Document Writer) also don't work.
    If you don't call Audit Mode, you don't have this problem.
    But since a basic configuration for several PCs is to be created, i need the Audit Mode.
    I had the same problem with version 1903, 1809 was the last version that worked correctly.
    Does anyone have any idea how to avoid this problem?

Many greetings
    Felix

translated with DeepL

:)

ComIn, Dec 8, 2019

2. Audit mode

Hi Diane,

Windows boots into Windows Welcome Mode and Audit Mode. Windows Welcome Mode
    is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

• Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the
      Search
      field at the taskbar.
    • Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize
      DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

• Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

Deleting existing user accounts when returning to Audit Mode after a build or feature upgrade as mentioned in that post I quoted is of course not necessary if and when the image is for your personal use only. The thread where I posted that is however about how to do this in corporate network environment, deploying to 100 laptops and possibly re-deploying an upgraded image when next LTSB version will be released.

When doing this for your own private deployment image keeping existing user accounts there are additional steps required because when sysprepping Windows installation with existing user accounts, active user accounts lose Start and Cortana / Search functionality due Windows SID / GUID being changed. Therefore for you and other private users, disabling all user accounts before sysprep is strongly recommended:

1. Upgrade Windows in normal mode
    2. Run net user Administrator /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    3. Sign out from all user accounts
    4. Sign in to built-in admin
    5. Run net user USERNAME /active:no in elevated Command Prompt to disable each existing user account
    6. Restart to Audit Mode with %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot
      [*]
      When in Audit Mode, change / add / remove what you want to / need to
    7. Run Disk Clean-up
    8. Place your answer file unattend.xml in %windir%\system32\sysprep\ folder
    9. Run %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe
      [*]
      Boot from WinPE, capture the image
    10. Boot from HDD, let Windows go through OOBE
    11. In OOBE you must create a new admin user, use any temporary name (can't use names of existing users even when they are disabled)
    12. When on desktop activate your old existing users with net user USERNAME /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
      [*]
      Sign out from temporary admin user, sign in to your old admin user
    13. Remove the temporary admin user
    Repeat steps 13 through 16 on each machine you deploy this image. Steps 2 through 5 and 13 through 16 are not required if all existing users will be removed in Audit Mode.

Sounds and looks more complicated than what it is audit mode in win10 version 1909 impossible to print :)

Kari, Dec 8, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

Thanks - I was unaware of the search issue as I rarely use it anyway, or I search from from file explorer (force of habit).

cereberus, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

1. audit mode in win10 version 1909 impossible to print - Similar Threads - audit mode win10

2. Win10 home in S mode version 1909 product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 home in S mode version 1909 product key: I purchased a brand new laptop yesterday from a well known UK computer store, it came with Win10 home in S mode version 1909. I'm happy the way everything is running, my only issue is I cannot find where my product key for above OS is stored in case I ever have to reinstall...
  3. Win10 home in S mode version 1909 product key

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 home in S mode version 1909 product key: I purchased a brand new laptop yesterday from a well known UK computer store, it came with Win10 home in S mode version 1909. I'm happy the way everything is running, my only issue is I cannot find where my product key for above OS is stored in case I ever have to reinstall...
  4. Audit mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Audit mode: How do I get out of audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audit-mode/806c0874-884f-479b-8ddb-dee09d104dc4
  5. Win10 update from version 1909 to version 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 update from version 1909 to version 2004: submitted by /u/7secondstom [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/h9ft4f/win10_update_from_version_1909_to_version_2004/
  6. Windows 10 Home version 1909 will not print

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Home version 1909 will not print: I have a dell XPS 9350 with subject specs. Also have Brother MFC 8810DW that will not print using the Dell. My wife has a MAC Workbook and she is able to print on the Brother. I get various error messages referring to the driver and Brother set up. I've had too many calls...
  7. Update issues with Win10 Version 1909

Update issues with Win10 Version 1909: Hi. I'm having an issue with the latest Windows Update. The following update will try to install, and then I get the error message listed below it, and then it will uninstall itself. It has done this virtually every time I turn off my PC for the last few weeks. 2020-2...
  8. what is audit mode

what is audit mode: my win 10 won't install because it's in audit mode. what is audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-audit-mode/d0b1a6aa-be1e-4abb-b82b-1a3e54675033
  9. Audit Mode and Robocopy

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Audit Mode and Robocopy: So today I had an interesting issue. I had a data transfer from an old hard drive to a newly purchased system. It wasnt my system, else I would've follow windows oobe and then transfered the files. Instead, i hit control+shift+F3 to enter audit mode and then I opened PS as...
  10. Win10 Enterprise; suddenly in audit mode?

Win10 Enterprise; suddenly in audit mode?: Guys, hear me out... VMware ESXi virtual machine. Installed Win10 Enterprise, went into audit mode, did my installs and whatnot. Shut down the machine. Copied that vm and ran sysprep, everything seems just fine and dandy. Activated Windows, put into domain. Used a domain...