Windows 10: Audit mode

Discus and support Audit mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do I get out of audit mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audit-mode/806c0874-884f-479b-8ddb-dee09d104dc4 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RogueSnow531482, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Audit mode

How do I get out of audit mode?

:)

RogueSnow531482, Aug 25, 2020

2. Audit mode

Hi Diane,

Windows boots into Windows Welcome Mode and Audit Mode. Windows Welcome Mode
    is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

• Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the
      Search
      field at the taskbar.
    • Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize
      DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

• Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Aug 25, 2020
  3. what is audit mode

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues with Audit Mode on your PC.

Usually, Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit Mode when upgrading
    or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Kindly follow the steps mentioned below to exit Audit mode:

1. Now press Windows +
      S key together to open Search.
    2. Now type CMD and select Run as administrator.
    3. Accept the UAC prompts.
    4. Type in the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter
      :

sysprep /oobe /generalize
    5. Close the command prompt window.

DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing
    this command.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Aug 25, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Audit mode

Updating Windows 10 in Audit Mode

Deleting existing user accounts when returning to Audit Mode after a build or feature upgrade as mentioned in that post I quoted is of course not necessary if and when the image is for your personal use only. The thread where I posted that is however about how to do this in corporate network environment, deploying to 100 laptops and possibly re-deploying an upgraded image when next LTSB version will be released.

When doing this for your own private deployment image keeping existing user accounts there are additional steps required because when sysprepping Windows installation with existing user accounts, active user accounts lose Start and Cortana / Search functionality due Windows SID / GUID being changed. Therefore for you and other private users, disabling all user accounts before sysprep is strongly recommended:

1. Upgrade Windows in normal mode
    2. Run net user Administrator /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
    3. Sign out from all user accounts
    4. Sign in to built-in admin
    5. Run net user USERNAME /active:no in elevated Command Prompt to disable each existing user account
    6. Restart to Audit Mode with %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit /reboot
      [*]
      When in Audit Mode, change / add / remove what you want to / need to
    7. Run Disk Clean-up
    8. Place your answer file unattend.xml in %windir%\system32\sysprep\ folder
    9. Run %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe
      [*]
      Boot from WinPE, capture the image
    10. Boot from HDD, let Windows go through OOBE
    11. In OOBE you must create a new admin user, use any temporary name (can't use names of existing users even when they are disabled)
    12. When on desktop activate your old existing users with net user USERNAME /active:yes in elevated Command Prompt
      [*]
      Sign out from temporary admin user, sign in to your old admin user
    13. Remove the temporary admin user
    Repeat steps 13 through 16 on each machine you deploy this image. Steps 2 through 5 and 13 through 16 are not required if all existing users will be removed in Audit Mode.

Sounds and looks more complicated than what it is Audit mode :)

Thema:

Audit mode

1. Audit mode - Similar Threads - Audit mode

2. Windows 11 22H2 Issues in Audit Mode After Generalize

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22H2 Issues in Audit Mode After Generalize: In Win 11 22H2, if we use Sysprep to reseal to Audit Mode and choose the Generalize option, after the reseal, we encounter multiple Store App related error messages. The system is not connected to the internet and no apps have been installed. These errors appear to be related...
  3. Windows 11 22H2 Issues in Audit Mode After Generalize

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 22H2 Issues in Audit Mode After Generalize: In Win 11 22H2, if we use Sysprep to reseal to Audit Mode and choose the Generalize option, after the reseal, we encounter multiple Store App related error messages. The system is not connected to the internet and no apps have been installed. These errors appear to be related...
  4. URGENT - Windows 11 can't exit OOBE/Audit mode after using sysprep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    URGENT - Windows 11 can't exit OOBE/Audit mode after using sysprep: WOW! I just installed Windows 11, and it looks very beautiful! Don't know why people have bad reputation though. Anyways, I missed the user account creation OOBE which looks absolutely beautiful, so I wanted to see that again, that is why I used Sysprep, just to know that...
  5. URGENT - Windows 11 can't exit OOBE/Audit mode after using sysprep

URGENT - Windows 11 can't exit OOBE/Audit mode after using sysprep: WOW! I just installed Windows 11, and it looks very beautiful! Don't know why people have bad reputation though. Anyways, I missed the user account creation OOBE which looks absolutely beautiful, so I wanted to see that again, that is why I used Sysprep, just to know that...
  6. Seeing the RunOnce process when automatically dropping into Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Seeing the RunOnce process when automatically dropping into Audit Mode: Hi there,For WDS, I wrote an answer file that instructs the client machine to drop into Audit Mode, instead of the OOBE.When I try to put a command line in said answer file or in a HKLM RunOnce registry value, it gets stuck at Welcome Administrator login screen.However, when...
  7. Seeing the RunOnce process when automatically dropping into Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeing the RunOnce process when automatically dropping into Audit Mode: Hi there,For WDS, I wrote an answer file that instructs the client machine to drop into Audit Mode, instead of the OOBE.When I try to put a command line in said answer file or in a HKLM RunOnce registry value, it gets stuck at Welcome Administrator login screen.However, when...
  8. Seeing the RunOnce process when automatically dropping into Audit Mode

9. Does Windows 10 Audit mode have limited features, options or running sevices?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Does Windows 10 Audit mode have limited features, options or running sevices?: Hello I am building a windows 10 image for my company Via WDS and at the point where I have to put the PC in audit mode and install software and settings.My question is when you put the PC in audit mode does this limit settings that would be enabled or working in regular...
  10. HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode: I am preparing a Lenovo Flex 4 laptop for Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE). Looks like Lenovo's default touchpad driver configuration is misconfigured such that two finger tap (right click) does not work. I found setting the registry under...