Windows 10: Aug./Sept. Win 10 update changes CPU voltage and core clock speeds to max when the active...

Discus and support Aug./Sept. Win 10 update changes CPU voltage and core clock speeds to max when the active... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello,Prior to the August/September windows updates my CPU ran normally around 1.00Volts and 3300Mhz to 3500Mhz core clock speed across all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SandBox757, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Aug./Sept. Win 10 update changes CPU voltage and core clock speeds to max when the active...

Hello,Prior to the August/September windows updates my CPU ran normally around 1.00Volts and 3300Mhz to 3500Mhz core clock speed across all applications including games. With the August and September windows update KB500556 and KB4023057When the active window is a game, whether it be a Steam game or Epic Games the voltage on the CPU instantly goes to a max 1.49 Volts and core clock speed to 4900+ also increasing CPU temps by 20C. When making any other window active, instantly CPU temp, voltage, and core clock go back to normal. This is while in a menu of a game, and not actual game play.

:)

SandBox757, Sep 18, 2021
  2. Cybot Win User

Windows 10 only use half of max cpu speed

one thing I found out recently, is that win10 disables software based core parking by default. under windows 7 it was enabled on my laptop. when core parking is enabled, the cpu is able to reach it's max rated turbo boosted speed because the other cores
    are not being used. On my system 1 core gives 2.8ghz max speed, additional active cores give a lower turboboost ratio. I suspect this isn't an issue for those with the latest and greatest CPU's as the intel specification now calls for hardware based core parking.
    I managed to re-enable core parking using bitsums' park control software. the park control software is also built into bitsum's process lasso software.

Cybot, Sep 18, 2021
  3. Kol12 Win User
    Dell G3 Speedstep not working?

The core clock frequencies and voltage on my Dell G3 are locked at full speed and max voltage. Speed Step/C-States are enabled in the BIOS, I'm using the balanced power plan in Windows (min CPU 5%, max CPU 100%) and there is no abnormally high CPU load. I'm confused... *Confused

Edit: The power cord plugged in was keeping the clocks at full speed. There must be some Dell specific power settings I'm missing.

Kol12, Sep 18, 2021
  4. Psycogeek Win User

Aug./Sept. Win 10 update changes CPU voltage and core clock speeds to max when the active...

Intel Core i7-4770K - healthy core speed

A High-Performance power profile in windows will keep the stepping up high on the processor, instead of it idling and lowering in clock and voltage. Nothing wrong with using that setting, but usually the stepping is so fast this is not nessisary.

The Item in the power properties that keeps the frequency high in the High Performance profile is in the "advanced power settings"
    Processor power management , Minimum processor state 100%
    You could adjust that one item to 0%-100% as desired , like 0-5% would allow the processor to step down when idleing.

By customising a High Performance profile all the rest of the things will stay high (often also unnessisary) , and the processor will be allowed then to step.

The processor being in turbo, is usually because only one "core" is required to do the minimal tasks , even though just the OS itself will use multiple cores/threads to do even simple tasks. You could check all that in the resource monitor , where a Core not being used at the moment might read "parked" . In the CPU section , look at the Graphs.

Beyond that , and likely from what your saying, an overclocking board , or other boards capable of playing with all this turbo stuff, and K processors , can easily turbo all the cores , when turbo kicks in. They can also adjust the turbo speeds different for 1,2,3,4 cores being used at the time. So it is also possible to have your computer pushed into or locked into a turbo even when using all 4 cores (or minimally using none), via the Motherboards bios settings, and the Operating systems power settings.

Using these methods and multiple power profiles, I can lock the CPU to always turbo overclocked, or never turbo (99% maximum processor state), or all the way down to green (lower max, passive cooling). My extreeme profile (100% minimum processor state) does keep the cpu clock at the highest turbo levels. I rarely would use that profile, because in the more balanced profiles it will happily idle, and turbo without any noticable performance losses.

There is again nothing wrong with it staying high, or staying in turbo, even if it is not being used, it really does not use that much more power, it is processing "Work" that uses the most power, staying high only uses slightly more power than being allowed to fully idle.

There is certannly nothing wrong (also) with adjusting it (in both) so it can idle and cool out and use less power.

So you can control most of that, or just leave it. If there would be a problem from it, it would be if the computer is not stable at those clocks and voltages, or the temperatures are too high for the cooling setup.

Other stuff:

If the question is about actual processing activity , programs running, windows doing stuff in the background, and endless use of the cores, that keeps the processor up, that would be different.

The array of adjustments in motherboard Bios/uefi is not covered, because it is different in each one, and the number of adjustments seemingly endless, a "guide" for your particular motherboard could be used to explore the possibilities there.

It is possible to disable intel stepping , and standby states, and all that at the motherboard, then some of the adjustments in the OS will not work as expected.

Psycogeek, Sep 18, 2021
Thema:

Aug./Sept. Win 10 update changes CPU voltage and core clock speeds to max when the active...

1. Aug./Sept. Win 10 update changes CPU voltage and core clock speeds to max when the active... - Similar Threads - Aug Sept update

2. CPU's clock speed doesn't reach max when I'm playing a game but randomly reacher top speed...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU's clock speed doesn't reach max when I'm playing a game but randomly reacher top speed...: Usually my cpu's clock speed never goes above 3.90GHz maybe 1 or 2 over but never gets to 4GHz even though i believ It's top speed is 4.20GHz I belive this is the second time it happened that i started my laptop and randomly the speed is above 4GHz and not going down, I had...
  3. My Laptop CPU's clock speed is max but performance is low

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Laptop CPU's clock speed is max but performance is low: Hi,My Laptop is underperforming when I'm charging it. Whenever I plug in my laptop's charger, I notice a increase in the CPU clock speed which to me is normal since I want my laptop to perform better on charge however, Instead of performing better my laptop underperforms. FPS...
  4. My Laptop CPU's clock speed is max but performance is low

My Laptop CPU's clock speed is max but performance is low: Hi,My Laptop is underperforming when I'm charging it. Whenever I plug in my laptop's charger, I notice a increase in the CPU clock speed which to me is normal since I want my laptop to perform better on charge however, Instead of performing better my laptop underperforms. FPS...
  5. My Laptop CPU's clock speed is max but performance is low

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Win 10 22H2 Update Caused Unwanted Higher CPU Clock Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 22H2 Update Caused Unwanted Higher CPU Clock Speed: That's right! Win 10 22H2 Update Caused Unwanted Higher CPU Clock Speed. CPU clock speed for 10600K by default is 4.1 normal, but after the update is averaging 4.7, which is totally unacceptable. I checked Win Update to see if I have the option to rollback! Hmm, does not...
  7. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  8. Cpu not at max speed and capped.

Cpu not at max speed and capped.: I have a intel i9 11900F and apparently it can go up to like 5GHz but when I bench it its capped at 4.7GHz. How do I also make it so it's always max speed? Sometimes when I'm using it it's only 2.8-3.5GHz...
  9. MAX CLOCK SPEED MY CPU SUPPORTS ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MAX CLOCK SPEED MY CPU SUPPORTS ?: what is the max clock speed my processor supports CPU ?? my pc specs IntelR CoreTM i5 CPU M 580 @ 2.67GHz Base speed: 2.67 GHz Sockets: 1 Cores: 2 Logical processors: 4 Virtualization: Enabled L1 cache: 128 KB L2 cache: 512 KB L3 cache: 3.0 MB Memory 4.0 GB DDR3 Speed: 1067...
  10. Ich10r max voltage.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ich10r max voltage.: I have an x58 motherboard witch have an ich10 r sata controller. Can u tell me witch is the max safe voltage fo ich10 r (southbridge)? I searched in intel site but i coulden find it. Thnx 46632