Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD

Discus and support Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm helping out a friend with an older AMD quad core Dell XPS 625 running Windows 10 Home 1803. The original Seagate 1 TB drive was failing with some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by n2ubp, Aug 5, 2018.

1. n2ubp Win User

I'm helping out a friend with an older AMD quad core Dell XPS 625 running Windows 10 Home 1803. The original Seagate 1 TB drive was failing with some bad sectors. I used Acronis 2017 to back up to an external USB drive. I installed a new 1 TB WD SSD drive and restored the partitions. I rebooted and everything seems to be working as designed. Just in case I ran chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow and everything looks good. I did notice that Windows had enabled the weekly auto defrag process for the SSD and I turned it off. I then checked my own tower running Windows 10 Pro 1803 with a Crucial SSD and it also had weekly auto defrag enabled and I turned it off. I know I had disabled auto defrag when I first upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Pro. Why is 1803 enabling auto defrag on SSD's? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Steve
    73 de

:)

n2ubp, Aug 5, 2018
  2. oily_17 Win User

Would defragging an SSD make a difference?

Well this is a quote from OCZ forum on their SSD's

And a quote from another source on SSD's, which can explain SSD performance loss, which is actually due to defraging.

oily_17, Aug 5, 2018
  3. Spidey1976 Win User
    Defrag

Defragging SSD and Flash drives will wear them out faster. I do not suggest doing this. Defrag mechanical HDD's only

Spidey1976, Aug 5, 2018
  4. SarahKong Win User

Stop windows from defragmenting my SSD!!!

Hi Bob I get this all the time when I teach the Windows 10 course and I will tell you what I tell my students.

Yes, Windows does put all your drives even if they are SSD in the Weekly defrag schedule.

However, Windows will NOT defrag an SSD weekly, at the most it does this once a month. And you are right that SSD drives don't get fragmented as often but they still can get fragmented. So the defrag utility will first check to see if if requires a defrag before
    defraging. It actually does that on all types of drives.

And for SSD drives it doesn't do the same "traditional defrag" as with HDD drives.

It actually uses a TRIM feature to defrag SSD drives.

So you don't need to disable it all. I have a laptop that has a SSD drive and it has been running Windows 10 for 2 years with defrag enabled it is absolutely fine.

I hope this helps. Take care.

SarahKong, Aug 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Auto defrag enabled after I replaced failing mechanical drive with SSD - Similar Threads - Auto defrag enabled

2. Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Copy File To Either Of Three USB Flash Drives: [img] Why can't I copy the 5.7GB ISO file to either of these three USB Flash Drives? Please see attachment. Thanks. 116077
  3. Missing DVD Driver When I install Windows 10 (in BOIS System)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing DVD Driver When I install Windows 10 (in BOIS System): I was trying to windows 10 setup in Acer E14, but I can't set up this. When I restart this laptop and press F2 then show me an option. when I click Boot option I can't find Boot Mode then I save changed what I need. After that, I can't find the DVD option. Finally, I was...
  4. Network driver does not work after win 10 update

Network driver does not work after win 10 update: Dont ask me to browse the community to find out how to fix it, this is not my responsibility! You microsoft so called "update" my windows and mess it up 4 times in 2 weeks. I needed to spend half working day to wait for the update and recover to previous build every time....
  5. How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I remove the "Quick Access Toolbar" from Windows File Explorer?: Let me be clear, I'm asking about the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I am not asking about how to change the Quick Access page. I am not asking about how to remove items or add items or customize items in the Quick Access TOOLBAR. I'm asking how to remove it. I can remove all the...
  6. how do I get Cortana to tell me when typing keyboard and narrating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I get Cortana to tell me when typing keyboard and narrating: AS ABOVE TY. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/how-do-i-get-cortana-to-tell-me-when-typing/de4c0dec-412e-4584-9269-9c535eff94da
  7. How can I prevent the update when it says "Your update is ready"?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I prevent the update when it says "Your update is ready"?: I had been using the following setting to prevent auto-updates. Stop Windows 10 Updates Properly and Completely Yesterday, when I was still using version 1709, I manually installed a critical update via Windows Update MiniTool. I had no idea what update it was. After a...
  8. BLACK SCREEN & INFINITE REPAIR LOOP AFTER WINDOWS 10 UPDATE- ACCESS DENIED SAFE MODE

BLACK SCREEN & INFINITE REPAIR LOOP AFTER WINDOWS 10 UPDATE- ACCESS DENIED SAFE MODE: HI im 2 days into this now-- have been trying soo many solutions online-- & nothing is working this is the 3rd time that after a mandatory reboot-- i have been lift with the black screen. The 1st one required 200$+ at the computer repair shop. The 2nd i was able to...
  9. Screen Flicker on Boot After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen Flicker on Boot After Windows Update: Hi, I updated to KB4343909 (OS Build 17134.228) yesterday and now when my pc boots the brand name comes up, then the screen flashes of and on and the brand name is back up again and normal boot resumes. Anyone else see this occurrence or have any ideas? 116073
  10. Unable to access boot menu even i had already inserted window installation media and keep...

Unable to access boot menu even i had already inserted window installation media and keep...: Hi, My laptop is dead and it only shows up a manufacturer screen and turns to a blank screen after a few seconds, I also tried to open up a task manager but it won't works. So, i got nothing to then to force close my laptop (by keep pressing the off button). I had tried...