Windows 10: Auto-detect proxy settings: on or off?

Discus and support Auto-detect proxy settings: on or off? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 20H2 (19042.804) I don't run a manual proxy / VPN of any kind, and don't use this machine to log into any networks -- just regular... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JLJones, Feb 17, 2021.

1. JLJones Win User

Auto-detect proxy settings: on or off?

Windows 10 Home 20H2 (19042.804)

I don't run a manual proxy / VPN of any kind, and don't use this machine to log into any networks -- just regular everyday wired ethernet surfing, streaming, email, etc. I do have third-party firewall and AV installed (Comodo, Avast) and want them to do their thing to the best of their abilities. So the question, which I've seen asked here and elsewhere but never answered in a short and sweet way, is this:

Does anything REQUIRE Windows 10 proxy auto-detect set to ON for correct functionality?

Feel free to explain it to me like I'm a 3-year-old. *Smile

:)

JLJones, Feb 17, 2021
  2. stevie Win User

Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings

@Compumind @Samuria

Hi - Just so you know, I'm marking this "problem solved". I found this online How to Solve the Windows Could Not Automatically Detect Network Proxy Settings Error. Doing the last step under #2 is what solved the problem. McAvee is still scanning incoming. McAvee & Malwarebytes still show no problems with a full scan. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

stevie, Feb 17, 2021
  3. Alvin Cop Win User
    Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings

Hi,

There are various reasons why you're getting such error message. Slow internet connections or network issues are possible causes of it. Kindly provide us the following details so we can isolate your concern:

• How did you get this error message?
    • Are you connected to the internet using wireless or wired connection?
    • Have you tried other devices to check if the same issue occurred?

Since you have followed all the steps in the article provided above, let's check if your computer's Network proxy settings are configured correctly by following these steps:

• Type Proxy in the search box on the taskbar, and then click on
      Network proxy settings.
    • Under Automatic Proxy setup, set Automatically detect settings bar to ON.
    • Under Manual Proxy settings, set Use a proxy server bar to OFF.
    • Click on Save.

Let us know if it works.

Alvin Cop, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Auto-detect proxy settings: on or off?

Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings

Recently, I have noticed a small caution triangle appearing with my network icon on the task bar. When I right click and troubleshoot, it comes with this message. Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings. I have tried the
    suggested solutions I found in Microsoft answers but the issue still exists .

Method 1: Check for proxy server settings.

1. Press Windows key + R to open Run Command. Type "inetcpl.cpl" and press Enter.

2. In Internet Options Window, go toConnections tab.

3. Click on LAN Settings.

4. Do the following steps:

• Uncheck the box Use Proxy Server for your LAN.
    • Check the box Automatically Detect settings.
    Method 2: Type the following command.

• Press Windows key + X and click onCommand Prompt (Admin) to open the Elevated Command Prompt. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click Allow)
    • Type the following command.
    • Type netsh winsock reset and click Enter.
    • Type netsh int ipv4 resetand click Enter.

Jonathansuresh, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Auto-detect proxy settings: on or off?

1. Auto-detect proxy settings: on or off? - Similar Threads - Auto detect proxy

2. Need to Turn Off the "Automatically Detect Setting" in Proxy Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to Turn Off the "Automatically Detect Setting" in Proxy Settings: Hi, I have a requirement of turning off the "Automatically Detect Setting" in Proxy Settings in Windows 10.I need to know whether there are any impacts for users if i turn it OFF.Regards,Mujahith...
  3. Need to Turn Off the "Automatically Detect Setting" in Proxy Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to Turn Off the "Automatically Detect Setting" in Proxy Settings: Hi, I have a requirement of turning off the "Automatically Detect Setting" in Proxy Settings in Windows 10.I need to know whether there are any impacts for users if i turn it OFF.Regards,Mujahith...
  4. Need to Turn Off the "Automatically Detect Setting" in Proxy Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Disable Auto Detect settings using vbs or reg files for proxy settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable Auto Detect settings using vbs or reg files for proxy settings: Hi team,I found how to enable/disable manual proxy settings but what is the key that disables "Auto detect settings" as I need to disable this when the manual proxy is used?Thanks,...
  6. Proxy "automatically detect proxy settings" keeps turning itself off

Proxy "automatically detect proxy settings" keeps turning itself off: Ok so it all started when I couldn't join my friends on Forza Horizon 4, I found that teredo couldn't start, as I searched for answers I found I needed to turn on "automatically detect proxy settings" in the proxy area. what's strange is that as soon as I turn it on and go to...
  7. "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings" despite no proxy

"Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings" despite no proxy: Hello - Lately I've been running into an issue where Windows displays a "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings". I have tried many of the fixes displayed on other websites and troubleshooters - I am able to do most of these fixes flushing the...
  8. Windows cannot detect Proxy Settings

Windows cannot detect Proxy Settings: I have had this problem and it been ongoing and truly problematic. I attended programming college and this problem will turn your download speed from 300kb/sec to 30kb/sec and you will wonder what is going on. I have troubleshooted this for months and this seems to be the...
  9. Can't turn off Proxy Settings

Can't turn off Proxy Settings: I am running Windows 10 Home Edition. My ISP provider has suggested I turn off Proxy Server Settings. I have done that, but they always turn themselves back on without my knowledge. There is no place to save the settings, even when set manually. Is there some where to turn...
  10. Not able to set automatically detect proxy in LAN settings

Not able to set automatically detect proxy in LAN settings: In LAN settings in internet options, I can't change any of the options, if i select the checkbox to automatically detect the proxy settings, clicking the OK button does nothing. In Proxy settings inside windows settings I can toggle "Automatically detect settings" but it...