Windows 10: Auto edit of the # column in a music folder

Discus and support Auto edit of the # column in a music folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I DJ and want to copy music files to a USB device to play in a CDJ USB player. CDJs automatically assume the value in the # column to order the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HowardBoss, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Auto edit of the # column in a music folder

I DJ and want to copy music files to a USB device to play in a CDJ USB player. CDJs automatically assume the value in the # column to order the files on the USB device. As there are several hundreds of files on the device it's helpful to know the order so you know how far to scroll. How can I (if it's possible at all) generate a new folder containing new music files and then number them 1 through 999 (# column) so that the CDJ sees them in the same order that they are in the folder?

Thanks in advance.

:)

HowardBoss, Oct 11, 2019
  2. Geethu B Win User

How do I set all the column headings to the column headings I want to see for all my music folders in Windows 10

Hi Allan,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To change which columns to appear in Music Folder, you may try these steps:

a. You may open the music folder and click on View Tab.

b. Click on Add Columns.

c. Click More Columns.

d. Select the required columns and also you can
    move it up and down.

But when you create a new folder these changes will not appear in that folder. You may have to make these changes manually on the new folder.

I suggest you to leave a feedback about the same on Windows Feedback app.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Oct 11, 2019
  3. DaddyO Win User
    Folder columns - Any way to save a new template?

KeithM - I'll start to check this thread more frequently. I'll cooperate as much as I can. I'd like to settle this and if it expands your knowledge to have a second test system, so much the better. If I "explain something twice" it's on me, no worries.

• What is the contents of your desktop.ini file?
    For a plain `music` folder on this system, one that automatically displays columns and any other preferences (order, icon/details,) there is no desktop.ini (by default I do have "show hidden files, folders and drives;" and do not have "hide protected operating system files (rec...)" switches set.)
    For a completely tricked out `podcasts` folder I had Explorer create a desktop.ini for this post by going into Properties and clicking [Ok]:
    [ViewState]
    Mode=
    Vid=
    FolderType=Music

Why there is usually no desktop.ini:
    I'm going to describe something that you will probably find to be normal behavior
    When I request Explorer to make a folder a "stock type" it creates a desktop.ini
    When I create a new folder and then > copy and paste an MP3 into it > request Details view: It shows ~4 columns
    When I then press F5 to the folder it refreshes into a Music folder of my own design but no desktop.ini is created
    When I shift-delete that newly copied MP3 and press F5 it continues to display the music columns I spec'd.
    Properties for the folder indicate "Music optimized"
    After rearranging the columns to make it a "podcast" folder the column order appears to be persistent for this one folder and there is NO desktop.ini. Past experience tells me it remains configured for podcasts after logout and reboot. For expediency I did not go that far right now, but I did back out of the folder, closed that Explorer and spawned another one, then drilled down to the newly minted and configured folder and as expected found it configured and ready for podcast service.
    -------
    Next: Copying and pasting that newly minted folder:
    Simple folder view (left pane) copy/paste, new folder named "_PODDY3 - Copy"
    That copy has the property of being type "General" with no customization.

• What folder template are you using for your Podcasts folders?
      Music - a template I have modified
      I explained above how I've found the Music `template format` can be auto-generated by dragging an MP3 (I haven't tried it with other music formats or other document types.)
      Whether or not a desktop.ini appears, once a folder is modified it seems to stay that way until something destroys the format.
      Shift-deleting a desktop.ini does not destroy the column order of a "music" folder that has been modified by hand to be a "podcast" folder.
      Anomaly: The first time I deleted a desktop.ini from a modded music folder, it was recreated the next time I opened the folder. I have not been able to reproduce the phenomenon (but that doesn't mean I have properly reproduced the experiment.)
    • Are you just using different columns in a Music template or changing the template to Generic or something
      else?

My Music template is custom and has been in place for a few years. `Podcasts` uses exactly the same columns but in a different order.
      No matter how I arrive at a folder being Music, they always use the same column setup.

These are the columns and column order my Music template auto-generates:
    Title
    Authors
    Album
    Year
    #
    Length
    Genre
    Comments
    Album Artist
    Composers
    Disc
    Size
    Name
    Type
    Date Modified
    Bit-Rate

This is the order of columns after being rearranged for `podcasts`:
    #
    Title
    Authors
    Album
    Length
    Genre
    Comments
    Album Artist
    Size
    Date Modified
    Bit-Rate
    Year
    Disc
    Composers
    Name
    Type

DaddyO, Oct 11, 2019
  4. Auto edit of the # column in a music folder

How do I set all the column headings to the column headings I want to see for all my music folders in Windows 10

I want the these columns Name, #, Album, Album artist, Contributing artist, Length and Title to appear in all of my current music folders and any new music folder I may create, in one simple step. I do NOT want to have to go through every folder and set
    these columns. And this if for Window 10, NOT any previous version of windows. How do I do this?

AllanAbrahamse, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

Auto edit of the # column in a music folder

1. Auto edit of the # column in a music folder - Similar Threads - Auto edit column

2. Music editing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Music editing: Hi all when I edit my songs in MP3tag Groove music keeps popping up. Is there anyway I can prevent this, I have had it on other machines before. I have tried stopping at start up but I get asked How do I want to run this I have a feeling factory reset will not help any help...
  3. Music editing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Music editing: Hi all when I edit my songs in MP3tag Groove music keeps popping up. Is there anyway I can prevent this, I have had it on other machines before. I have tried stopping at start up but I get asked How do I want to run this I have a feeling factory reset will not help any help...
  4. Music editing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Number of Folder columns: I had something very different happen, and I don’t know how, on my Microsoft Windows 10 desktop. But one result is that on displaying a folder, it shows all contents in one column instead of the multiple columns, as before. I have tried the various options under “Home”,...
  6. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number of Folder columns: I had something very different happen, and I don’t know how, on my Microsoft Windows 10 desktop. But one result is that on displaying a folder, it shows all contents in one column instead of the multiple columns, as before. I have tried the various options under “Home”,...
  7. Number of Folder columns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to edit columns in outlook folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to edit columns in outlook folders: I have assigned a column "tags" and "Categories" but I cannot edit those fields in my outlook folders such as my download folder, which has emails, pdfs, etc....
  9. Add column to folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Add column to folder: Is it possible to add a column to a folder, that can be typed in, like when using a table? Thank you 159861
  10. Music sub-folder from This PC missing Explorer columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Music sub-folder from This PC missing Explorer columns: [img] This is bizarre because it isn't missing the columns from Users > [my username] > Music... [img] I've been unable to find anything that restores the columns to the folder from the This PC path. Strangely, any folder above or below that folder has columns... and...