Windows 10: Auto file compression in windows

Discus and support Auto file compression in windows in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I noticed lots of folders and shortcuts having 2 blue arrows on the top right of the icon. This means the file is compressed in the properties.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Santhosh.G, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Auto file compression in windows

Hi, I noticed lots of folders and shortcuts having 2 blue arrows on the top right of the icon. This means the file is compressed in the properties. Every new file/folder I add automatically compresses and I don't want it to.
    I could see the file compressing for all the users in the network.
    I manually decompressed it from the file property.
    If anyone knows how to fix it, please let me know! Thanks!

:)

Santhosh.G, Dec 6, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

So I used KGB Archiver to compress a 10gb file into a 40mb file...

Exactly. Most compression programs change a series of 1s and/or 0s to a couple of digits, and stores the total file in a table of contents/index. If you've got a file with TONS of repeating digits, sure, but pictures? No way to get that kind of compression in the real world.

from an article on "How To Geek"

First, we installed Bastion and compressed its folder — about 863 MB in size of music, graphics, executable files, and various different types of documents:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 745 MB (86.3% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 746 MB (86.4% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 734 MB (85% of the original size)
    Next, we compressed Hotline Miami, which is 654 MB of data:

• Zip (Windows 8.1): 316 MB (48.3% of the original size)
    • Zip (WinZip): 314 MB (48% of the original size)
    • RAR (WinRAR): 307 MB (46.9% of the original size)
    • 7z (7-Zip): 301 MB (46% of the original size)
    I would not expect a great deal of change from those numbers in November of 2014 to now, nor would I expect any real-world files to come any where NEAR the compression rate of .4%.

Ahhzz, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Johan45 Win User

Auto file compression in windows

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Auto file compression in windows

1. Auto file compression in windows - Similar Threads - Auto file compression

2. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  3. Compressed file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Compressed file: I have a photo file that is compressed. I don't know how that happened, but how do I remove it from being compressed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-file/834893b5-4de1-415a-8560-319b6f411950
  4. File Compression . . .

File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  5. file compression

file compression: I have a 5.3mb pdf file that I need to compress to a 2.0mb. How do I do this? Thank you all. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-compression/9213218a-4cba-414b-b613-048b16bd05d7
  6. Windows Compressing Files

Windows Compressing Files: Whenever I download a file windows is automatically compressing it. I can't seem to find any settings to turn this off. I have plenty of room on my hard drive. Anyone know what's going on?...
  7. Really annoying auto compression in windows 10

Really annoying auto compression in windows 10: My folders and all files are being auto compressed by windows at the moment. i only had about 15gb of space when this happened suddenly in the middle of work. deleted a bunch of stuff and my space in now around 40gb, i removed some of the blue arrows on by unchecking compres...
  8. Auto file compression setting on Windows 10 1803?

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto file compression setting on Windows 10 1803?: I was running my main drive down to around the 1.5GB mark and have been meaning to free up some space. To my surprise, I noticed it gained just under 1gb in space but I've disabled storage sense so thought it might have something to do with the pagefile or something....
  9. Files Auto-Compressing on Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Files Auto-Compressing on Desktop: Whenever I move/save (larger?) files onto my Desktop, double blue arrows appear in the upper right corner. Under the files' Properties > Advanced, the box "Compress contents to save disc space" is auto-checked. How do I stop files from auto-compressing on my Desktop? (The...
  10. Auto compression in Windows drive

Auto compression in Windows drive: Hi, i noticed lots of folders and shortcuts having 2 blue arrows on the top right of the icon. This means the file is compressed in the properties. Every new file/folder i add automatically compresses and i don't want it to.I could see the file compressing for all the users...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. auto compress file

2. change auto compression in windows