Windows 10: Auto-kill a process

Discus and support Auto-kill a process in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to auto-sense that a process has started and automatically kill it, without user intervention? I am aware of Auto-kill any process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by borgus, Oct 19, 2015.

1. borgus Win User

Auto-kill a process

Is there a way to auto-sense that a process has started and automatically kill it, without user intervention? I am aware of Auto-kill any process v.2.2, but that, according to one reviewer, requires user input. Thanks.

:)

borgus, Oct 19, 2015
  2. HONDO209 Win User

Too many background processes running in Windows 10

I agree, there are wayyyy too many processes running in W10. Right now I have 82 processes running. In W7 only in the 30s. I uninstalled all the apps, disabled Defender, killed some processes. Disabled all the spyware. Killed auto update in GPedit. I still
    have this many processes. It's ridiculous.

HONDO209, Oct 19, 2015
  3. aa777888 Win User
    Activesync dies on the PC requiring restart

Activesync always dies on my PC requiring a restart to fix the problem.

The icon remains in the system tray. The rapimgr and wcescomm processes show as running.

The trick where you use task manager to kill wcescomm and then manually restart it doesn't work because the process can't be killed by the task manager--it's bulletproof!

This problem is making life impossible!

Toshiba Portege running XP, Activesync 4.5 and at the latest update (auto updates turned on).

Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

aa777888, Oct 19, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Auto-kill a process

Hi, you can create a small Autohotkey script containing a loop in which you would, at intervals, test if the process exists and then close it or kill it.

Simply search for Autohotkey. It comprises an extensive syntax with which simple programs can be written, interacting with Windows and GUI features.

In your case, just a simple loop with a couple of statements would be needed.
    I use this to close Ashampoo advertising popups, for example.

dalchina, Oct 19, 2015
  5. borgus Win User
    Appreciate the suggestion. I use a .bat file here to do essentially what you describe, but my aim is to automate the process - no user intervention. A specified process opens; it spots and kills it. Closest that I have seen is an app that claims to do this on a schedule.

borgus, Oct 19, 2015
  6. Kanata Win User
    If you're already using a batch file, perhaps the built-in TaskKill utility would work for you?
    You can then add delay times, etc, in the batch file.
    You could also add it to a scheduled task to run one time x minutes after the computer starts.

Kanata, Oct 19, 2015
  7. borgus Win User
    Yes, TaskKill is in use. Unfortunately, the process/es in question repeatedly reassert themselves. Thus, the kill util would need to detect that, and take the appropriate action - repeatedly. A method to prevent a process from running in the background would be an alternative, while still allowing the app itself to run on demand.

To wit: the BG process for a specific app here does not appear when the app is run. It pops up randomly in Task Manager after the app is closed; that's what should be prevented or killed.

borgus, Oct 19, 2015
  8. Kanata Win User

Auto-kill a process

Expanding on the batch file possibility, you could use the tasklist command (appropriately filtered) to determine if the task is running, including if it appears randomly, then take action with the taskkill command if it is. Again, you can use Task Scheduler to run a batch containing all the commands, repeatedly. Not sure if that helps. Also it doesn't cater to running the task on demand.

Kanata, Oct 19, 2015
  9. borgus Win User
    Appreciate your suggestions, Kanata. Thanks.

borgus, Oct 19, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    As I said, a trivial Autohotkey script - a permanent loop
    loop {
    If process exists - kill it
    sleep n
    }

(very roughly)

dalchina, Oct 19, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 19, 2015
  12. borgus Win User
    Good thoughts Dalchina. Don't want to block the app, just the process that randomly starts when the app isn't in use, so "a" won't do the job.

"b" seems promising. After more extensive searching, I find that this store app DOES have an executable.

Nonetheless, firewall blocking did not discourage CALCULATOR.EXE from popping up in Task Manager. Good try though. ^_^

borgus, Oct 19, 2015
  13. vexorg Win User

Auto-kill a process

What process are you trying to kill, and what causes it to run?

vexorg, Oct 19, 2015
  14. borgus Win User
    The process is CALCULATOR.EXE, a store app supplied with Win 10. Why and when it runs (seemingly randomly) as a background process would be pure speculation on my part.

The reason for killing this BG process is that when it, or perhaps any store-supplied app is running in the background, shortcuts launched via shortcut keys will lag by about five seconds. This has been reported to MS level II support and is allegedly being looked at by the developers. Various forum posts hint that the problem was evident in earlier operating systems, but it did not crop up here until W10.

Now testing a new approach. See my comment just prior to yours for the latest. Thanks for your input.

borgus, Oct 20, 2015
  15. AveYo Win User
    Sure looks like a multimedia keyboard problem. I often find myself launching Mail, muting sound or launching Calc because those special keys are on the left edge of my keyboard. Maybe try disabling them with a tool like KeyTweak (haven't tested yet in W10).

But anyway, there are ways to specifically kill the said process using audit and event ids, but it's way too much hassle (plus the security and performance concerns). If you want to use the simplest way of auto-kill it every minute, I've made a script.

It's actually a generic tool, since it prompts for a .exe process name and an optional timer (default 1 minute).
    It will create a system task, with full admin rights, so don't do crazy stuff like writing explorer.exe in there.
    To undo, press Cancel, it will delete the respective named task if defined previously.
    If you find this familiar, it's because it's based on steamwebhelper_killer v2.0rc

AveYo, Oct 20, 2015
Thema:

Auto-kill a process

1. Auto-kill a process - Similar Threads - Auto kill process

2. Background processes can't be killed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  3. Background processes can't be killed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Background processes can't be killed.: I updated from Windows 10 to 11 almost 2 months ago. All the applications I use regularly are updated as is WIndows. When I start an application, whether it is a Microsoft application or other applications such as Adobe, Autodesk, Spotify, and so on. If the application starts...
  4. Windows kills every process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows kills every process: Windows kills 90% of my applications on startup i can watch it happen in task manager.Stuff like chrome and discord work ok while a miriad of programs like notepad, Photoshop, edge, and my games will not open... Even system restore stops after 2 seconds.Idk what to do as...
  5. .bat script for killing specific Process ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    .bat script for killing specific Process ?: I need script that when i open script.bat file it automattically kills process items with specific name like kill web1.exe , text1.exe. without any user input. thanks. submitted by /u/Puzzled_Waltz326 [link] [comments]...
  6. How do I kill this process

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I kill this process: [ATTACH] I know the consequences, please tell me how to submitted by /u/Niru2169 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ljpdzx/how_do_i_kill_this_process/
  7. Vmmem process will not be killed. Windows sandbox.

Vmmem process will not be killed. Windows sandbox.: My computer has been using about 20 percent utilization since a glitch in the Windows Sandbox Program. I cannot get rid of the processes and they keep coming back on restart with the user as the generic random generated PC name that is given to a Windows Sandbox instance....
  8. Auto rotate and keyboard killed

Auto rotate and keyboard killed: I have 2 Linx 1010b tablet that Windows 10 update killed. No matter how many times I reset the device or what "advice" I follow the onscreen keyboard and auto rotation do not work. On both devices. Did I mentioned already, the rotation is locked and button in settings is...
  9. auto restart process

in Windows 10 Support
    auto restart process: my problem is that every time my laptop wakes up from sleep my fan control software resets its parameters to default, i need to kill the process and restart it and it will go back to normal. as i see it i need a batch file to auto run every 5 mins or ideally every time the...
  10. Kill a Process in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Kill a Process in Windows 10: How to: Kill a Process in Windows 10 [img] Information A process is an instance of a program that is being executed. Each process running in Windows is assigned a unique decimal number called the process ID, or PID. If you notice a running process is reducing your...