Windows 10: Auto rotate greyed out

Discus and support Auto rotate greyed out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Updated my wife’s tablet today (16 Jan 2018) latest version After update the auto rotate disappears and NONE of the registry fixes to be found on-line... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Grahamr, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Grahamr Win User

Auto rotate greyed out

Updated my wife’s tablet today (16 Jan 2018) latest version
    After update the auto rotate disappears and NONE of the registry fixes to be found on-line restore it.
    Have had to uninstall latest update.
    Not good as I like tO keep her up to date.
    Any fixes that work or Microsoft to fix welcome

:)

Grahamr, Jan 15, 2018
  2. DTab Win User

Auto Rotate-Windows 10

Today is March 31, 2016 and I am still having the exact same problem with auto-rotate as in my previous post. When it quits working, there is no option in Settings to 'enable auto-rotate' - the option will not show up in settings.

Also, when auto-rotate does not work, the icon in quick settings for auto-rotate will either vanish, or be greyed out. A reboot usually fixes the problem for a few days, then one day, no more auto-rotate.

Still hoping for a permanent solution.

3. Windows 10 Screen Auto Rotation Not Working/Option is not visible or available

Same problem and I've tried everything.

Auto rotated worked in ver 1703, updated to 1709 (Windows 10 Pro) and now it's greyed out. Installed vendor's latest drivers for sensors and anything else I could think of but no change. Windows updates are current. I can manually change the orientation
    from Landscape to Portrait and back again but the Rotation lock button is greyed out, even in Tablet mode (even if sitting as a laptop or folded like a tablet).

Device is sitting on a desk when I press Tablet mode, no movement except when I fold or unfold the laptop. Rotation lock button still greyed out.

Changed the settings in the registry but they were reset after a reboot.

We don't have any policies to disable this.

So I know why the auto rotation isn't working - Rotation lock is turned on. What I don't know and don't understand is why the Rotation lock is greyed out so I can't turn it off?

Kathleen-GL, Jan 15, 2018
  4. Auto rotate greyed out

Do you have spybot anti-beacon installed by any chance? There's an option in there where you can reverse the location sensor block, also in task scheduler > spy-bot antibeacon, disable the task so it doesn't reapply all the settings. Reboot and you should have your sensors working, hopefully.

titetanium, Jan 16, 2018
  5. Grahamr Win User
    No nothing like that installed. This happened once before after an update but managed to fix it in the registry but these fixes not working this time

Grahamr, Jan 16, 2018
  6. In device manager, are the drivers for the sensors showing a triangle?
    Auto rotate greyed out [​IMG]

titetanium, Jan 16, 2018
  7. Grahamr Win User
    Not possible to check unless I reinstall the update which I am not willing to do just yet

Grahamr, Jan 16, 2018
  8. Auto rotate greyed out

You can check by hitting win+x > device manager > scroll down to sensors. There should be at least 4 or 5 devices under that category. No need to install updates to check.

titetanium, Jan 16, 2018
  9. Grahamr Win User
    There is only one sensor - Bosch Accelerometer and that is not showing any errors - the tablet is a Linx for you further info

Grahamr, Jan 16, 2018
  10. Seems to me, you might be missing an orientation sensor driver. Can you put a check on hidden devices in device manager and have it show any hidden (greyed out) devices under that category? If it's hidden, most likely the driver failed to start.

I have two regedit files I'd like you to try to get the sensors enabled and autorotation working as well. You may have done these but it couldn't hurt.
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LocationAndSensors] "DisableSensors"=dword:00000000[/quote] Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AutoRotation] "Enable"=dword:00000001 "LastOrientation"=dword:00000000 "SensorPresent"=dword:00000001[/quote]

titetanium, Jan 16, 2018
  11. Grahamr Win User
    At present the rotation is working as it should and the reg files: no LocationAndSensors exist in code 1
    in code 2: enable is set as you show (1) last orientation is set to 3 sensor present is set to 1
    extra line here is SlateEnable which is set to 1
    also under autorotation is NonPreseve: Last AutoRequest which is set to 0

Grahamr, Jan 16, 2018
  12. So now, you got autorotation working now? Problem solved?

titetanium, Jan 16, 2018
  13. Grahamr Win User

Auto rotate greyed out

Problem not solved as if I do the newest windows update it will all go wrong again. I do like to keep windows up to date but a tablet with no auto rotate is not a lot of good. Thanks for you help but it does mean that can’t run the latest version of Wondows10

Grahamr, Jan 16, 2018
  14. This fixed it for me.

I previously posted this at below (last post of todays date):
    LinxTablet.co.uk
    Linx 1010B Rotation Lock (Grayed Out) - SOLVED

For those who cannot open with regedit, is probably because you have a *.reg.txt file but cannot see the
    file extensions (real bad idea), so to switch viewable extensions back on:-
    In Windows Explorer, click on "Options" drop down box, "Change Folder and Search options",
    "View" tab, Untick "Hide Extensions for known file types". (They might be known to the system, but its
    pretty important that you also know what the file is).
    Click "Apply to all folders", and hit "OK".
    Make sure that the file is a *.reg only file, then should run with Regedit.exe ok.
    You can also right select "Merge" on the file (which will run regedit, or "Open with 'Registry Editor' ".

To run regedit itself:-
    Bring up menu "Windows System", "Command Prompt", enter "Regedit".
    Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl"
    and to save the registry key, right click "PriorityControl" key and select "Export", and give it a
    name eg "RESTORE_PriorityControl(Unfix Auto Rotate).reg" and click OK to save.
    To create a reg file to delete the key, make a copy of your saved reg file, called eg
    "DELETE_PriorityControl(Fix Auto Rotate).reg" and edit to eg (contents between the double quote, do not include the double quotes).
    "
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
    "

Above file will delete that registry key and the first .reg file will restore it as it originally was.
    The above registry editing .reg file with the preceding '-' after the '[' character is a command to delete the key,
    and it fixes my problem and survives reboot but dont know if next update will require another regedit.
    I made a directory inside the Windows folder, called "Registry_Hacks", and copied the files to that location,
    you may choose another location if you cannot access the Windows folder.

EDIT: Some users had an issue where they could not run a .reg registry editing command because the file was actually called eg "something.reg.txt".

StainlessS, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Auto rotate greyed out

1. Auto rotate greyed out - Similar Threads - Auto rotate greyed

2. Screen rotated for no reason - auto-lock is on and greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen rotated for no reason - auto-lock is on and greyed out: I have a laptop with Windows 11. In theory, it can be used in tablet mode, but I never do. I ALWAYS use it in landscape mode NEVER portrait. Oftentimes, when I open it up, it has rotated to Portrait. The Screen-lock is always set to yes and greyed out regardless of what...
  3. Screen rotated for no reason - auto-lock is on and greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen rotated for no reason - auto-lock is on and greyed out: I have a laptop with Windows 11. In theory, it can be used in tablet mode, but I never do. I ALWAYS use it in landscape mode NEVER portrait. Oftentimes, when I open it up, it has rotated to Portrait. The Screen-lock is always set to yes and greyed out regardless of what...
  4. Rotation lock is greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rotation lock is greyed out: I enabled rotation lock last night for the first time and now it is greyed out and I have to manually change rotation. I have a HP Envy, windows 11. Manually changing the rotation or tent mode won't change it. I have tried a recommendation from another tread:Press Windows+R...
  5. Rotation Lock greyed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Rotation Lock greyed out: I haven't been able to rotate my screen whenever I flip it or put it in tent mode, nor does it go into tablet mode when I flip the screen, I have a 2 in 1 Asus Vivobook, I have tried everything to get the rotation lock to workI have tried putting it in portrait mode and it...
  6. rotation lock greyed out

rotation lock greyed out: After update, my display changed to portrait. I have changed it to landscape but the rotation lock is greyed out, so that it will not automatically change to portrait if I rotate the screen....
  7. Rotation Lock Greyed Out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Rotation Lock Greyed Out: I'm on an ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 TP412FA and the rotation lock button is greyed out in the right side panel and in the settings, which also means that the keyboard isn't working I'm using the on-screen keyboard. I've tried a fair bit but anything that can be suggested would be...
  8. rotation lock greyed out

rotation lock greyed out: I have an acer spin 1 with windows 10 and my rotation lock screen is greyed out and my screen will not rotate automatically anymore. how can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rotation-lock-greyed-out/23ffc815-5629-46b4-91ce-55996c428b4c
  9. Rotation lock greyed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rotation lock greyed out: [ATTACH] how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rotation-lock-greyed-out/e057c298-2b31-4062-9d2e-a606525f224a
  10. Rotation Lock greyed out

Rotation Lock greyed out: if you have this issue first put your screen in tent mode or tablet mode and see if you then can adjust that setting before doing a lot of research like I did....