Windows 10: Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period

Discus and support Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I need some help in creating a task in Task Manager that will automatically force stop programs and shut down the computer after it has been idle for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ed Wood, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Ed Wood Win User

Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period

I need some help in creating a task in Task Manager that will automatically force stop programs and shut down the computer after it has been idle for one hour. I have created a task that will shut down at a specific time, but I need something that can run multiple times throughout the day. I need the task to be automated every time the computer is rebooted.

For example, my wife boots the computer, logs onto to facebook, leaves the computer with facebook pages open (I have checked after she has walked away from the computer and have found as many as 43 facebook pages open at one time). I want a task that will then force stop facebook, then shut down the computer after it has been idle for a short period of time, then, if she logs back on later in the day will again run the routine and shut down again.

With her oversight of leaving the computer with facebook open and multiple pages open, I am afraid of someone hacking my system. I have already had as incidence of someone hacking our joint checking account and making $2800 in withdrawals. We finally got this resolved and the withdrawals reinstated.

Do I need to set up separate tasks to run every hour or so throughout the day to accomplish this task, or is there some argument or command that I can insert in the basic task that will reactivate the task to shutdown after the current session is idle for an hour?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

:)

Ed Wood, Aug 21, 2016

2. Windows OS power option setting

Hi,

I want to realize that the computer shutdown after it idle a period of time at windows OS. But I don't find this item in power option except "sleep after " and "hibernate after". Could you tell me whether this plan can be realized?
    How can I do?

Thanks.

QiaoGeorge, Aug 21, 2016
  3. katnie Win User
    Windows 10 Shuts Down When Idle - despite changing Power Settings

My desktop computer that experienced this idle shutdown problem was fairly old....but still working fine until I updated to Windows 10. There was no way that I could control the idle shutdowns after that upload and I was crazy trying to manage keeping
    my computer ON. I tried all of the suggestions and more ...nothing worked. Eventually, I purchased a new computer and I am sane again. It was a miserable experience.

katnie, Aug 21, 2016
  4. flybynite Win User

Just create a task to activate after one hour idle. Use the shutdown program you already have. Best to change group to Users.

flybynite, Aug 21, 2016
Thema:

1. Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period - Similar Threads - Auto Shutdown Computer

2. Auto shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto shutdown: Lost again two days of crunching numbers because of MS's stupid decision to reboot my computer overnight for an auto update which failed anyway .I stopped hoping that they will hire competent managers anytime soon. Instead, I wonder when there will be a real company that will...
  3. Auto shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Auto shutdown: Lost again two days of crunching numbers because of MS's stupid decision to reboot my computer overnight for an auto update which failed anyway .I stopped hoping that they will hire competent managers anytime soon. Instead, I wonder when there will be a real company that will...
  4. How Do I Automatically Shutdown my Computer after Idle?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How Do I Automatically Shutdown my Computer after Idle?: I want my Windows 11 Laptop to restart after an hour of being idle and this is what I put in task scheduler:It doesn't do anything though, it never triggers or starts or runs on its own....
  5. How Do I Automatically Shutdown my Computer after Idle?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How Do I Automatically Shutdown my Computer after Idle?: I want my Windows 11 Laptop to restart after an hour of being idle and this is what I put in task scheduler:It doesn't do anything though, it never triggers or starts or runs on its own....
  6. Auto Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Shutdown: Is they a way to shut down my windows 10 computer every night at 11pm? I do not have a password to log into windows and sometimes the computer is in sleep mode at that time. Is there a way to do this with these things going on. Tried different programs but nothing seems to...
  7. Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer needs to be restarted after long periods of idle: Every morning when my computer has been idle overnight my computer has black screen with the applications still open, but its 'glitched out' in terms of when i grab a window and drag this leaves a trail of windows all over the screen. The task bar is gone, and the only thing...
  8. Auto shutdown after login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto shutdown after login: My friend's desktop just shuts itself down after a minute of login. Tried blowing dust out, cleaning ram, nothing works. Any suggestions? submitted by /u/Vendetta_47 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e868cs/auto_shutdown_after_login/
  9. Computer will not resume after a period.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer will not resume after a period.: When I leave my computer on it can take 20 minutes or so to resume. I re-start if I need it faster. Can anyone help please? 143796
  10. BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after 5 minutes of idle period: I run it with Driver verifier... Here is the minidump file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx4LdY0oEBs0DGQ9Q NFO file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpxxbT_NgPU-ISncKg And some previous dumps. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsmlV167rgkYgpx5OAww_hlaaw2G7A It is a brand...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Auto Shutdown Computer after idle period