Windows 10: Auto Sleep Has Stopped Working

Discus and support Auto Sleep Has Stopped Working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 Upgrade done a year ago. Everything worked fine. No hardware or software changes in last six months, other than auto Win 10 updates. System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zalophus, Aug 27, 2016.

1. zalophus Win User

Auto Sleep Has Stopped Working

Win 10 Upgrade done a year ago. Everything worked fine. No hardware or software changes in last six months, other than auto Win 10 updates. System always went to sleep automatically per Power Option settings.

Then three days ago, Auto sleep of system no longer works (Monitor goes to sleep on time, but not system). Manual Sleep (Windows/Power/Sleep) works fine.

I have read all the previous posts about this issue, tried all the suggested fixes, and have now done all the trouble shooting that I can think of, but Sleep problem, persists.

:)

zalophus, Aug 27, 2016
  2. NeilPfoff Win User

Lumia 640 XL screen rotation.

Recently my screen has stopped auto rotate. It will rotate for some videos, the but then I have to put my phone to sleep and then hold it in the position I want it when I wake it back up. Auto rotate is on, and I have tried a soft restart multiple times,
    but it did not work

NeilPfoff, Aug 27, 2016
  3. RMK_56 Win User
    Windows 10 functions not working any more - "Search Windows", Start, Windows Photo, Notifications, Edge

OK, so I struggled with this for several days, and slowly the components stopped working. Oddly, the auto-sleep function started to work!

Anyhow, my wife found this link on the web:

How to fix your Windows 10 Start Menu

I tried the first step - no validation errors found - so went on to the second step: re-load all the W10 Apps.

It worked! Everything appears to work properly in W10 now. Not only that, the auto-sleep is still working.

I have to say Windows 10 is really good when it works.

I hope this helps someone

RMK_56, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Are CPU C-States enable in the Bios ? that fixed it for me , hadn't noticed a issue before a few days ago either on my X99 system but this did not occur on my X58 system.

No idea what you already tried obviously *Smile

KB

Kbird, Aug 29, 2016
  5. zalophus Win User
    Re C-State, never heard of this. I will check it out in BIOS, and see. Interestingly enough the sleep problem, and another problem with log-on requirements (which I fixed), happened about the time I updated my Intel drivers using the Intel Driver Update Utility.
    I will post my success with C-State.

zalophus, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    I have not used the Intel Utility but there were several Win 10 AU updates last week , it is sometimes recommended to disable C-States if you Overclock.

Kbird, Aug 29, 2016
  7. zalophus Win User
    I have a small OC using the ASUS M/B auto feature. I did disable c-state in Bios, with no effect.

I had a bunch of W10 system updates on the 10th & 11th, about the time my Sleep problem, and sign-in problems appeared. I will uninstall the most recent W10 updates to see.

zalophus, Aug 29, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

my system got updates last tues, which i thought caused it, i had c-states disabled, re-enabling them let the system fully sleep again.

KB

Kbird, Aug 29, 2016
  9. zalophus Win User
    Uninstalled latest W10 update, with no effect on Sleep Problem.
    Have reinstalled update, and set C-State to "Enabled" vs Auto. Will see if that makes any difference.

zalophus, Aug 29, 2016
  10. Kbird Win User
    I may have been just a coincidence , or something on my PC/MB I am not sure , it just sounded similar to my issue last weekend

KB

Kbird, Aug 30, 2016
  11. zalophus Win User
    Just to follow up. Nothing has worked so far, including setting to defaults, uninstalling the last W10 up date, setting and resetting the C-state, etc. so I set up a Macro, and will use that.

I thought originally it was a M/B problem or Intel Chip set problem, but I have another PC that I use very little that I upgraded to Win 10, and have now noticed same problem. Two different computers, both custom built (Abit and ASUS M/B's), and the sleep problem arose at the same time , some time after the latest Win 10 update, so I am now inclined to think it is a W10 problem perhaps tied to the BIOS of each M/B.

Incidentally, I have an HP laptop that also upgraded to Win 10, and has received all up dates, and so far not a problem with auto sleep.

If anyone else has ideas I welcome them.

zalophus, Sep 2, 2016
  12. zalophus Win User
    This is an update to my original posting.

I installed a Sleep-keyboard Macro (Rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep), and it works fine.

Now for the peculiar part (meaning I don't understand it):
    I have noticed that when I shut down and restart, the sleep function doesn't work as per my original message. However, once I activate "Sleep" using the Macro, and then wake the computer, the original "Power Option" sleep function works perfectly, w/o using the Macro, until I shut down the computer and restart.

Go figure!!!!

zalophus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Auto Sleep Has Stopped Working - Similar Threads - Auto Sleep Has

2. Sleep stopped working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep stopped working: Until a few days ago it worked just fine, but now when I press the power button which I have set to put the PC to sleep, the screen turns black, it stops sending image to my monitor, and it freezes just like that, not even entering sleep mode. The only thing I can do at that...
  3. Sleep stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep stopped working: Until a few days ago it worked just fine, but now when I press the power button which I have set to put the PC to sleep, the screen turns black, it stops sending image to my monitor, and it freezes just like that, not even entering sleep mode. The only thing I can do at that...
  4. Sleep stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Auto sleep no longer working

Auto sleep no longer working: For the last six months or so both my auto screen shutdown and auto sleep have not been working. Instead I always manually sleep when I leave my computer. Any advice how to fix automatic sleep? Auto screen shut off is set for 10 minutes, and auto sleep is set for 15 minutes....
  6. Auto sleep no longer working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto sleep no longer working: For the last six months or so both my auto screen shutdown and auto sleep have not been working. Instead I always manually sleep when I leave my computer. Any advice how to fix automatic sleep? Auto screen shut off is set for 10 minutes, and auto sleep is set for 15 minutes....
  7. Auto sleep no longer working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Sleep mode has stopped working on Windows10

Sleep mode has stopped working on Windows10: 3 weeksago I had a crash problem in the laptop product name Sony laptop SVS15136PGB. The system did not recover after an automatic restart. After that thelaptop was repaired by a professional and it was found during repairing thatthe problem was caused by a faulty disk. The...
  9. Auto Sleep not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Sleep not working: Well, since the update to 1909 my auto sleep doesn't work. The monitor goes to sleep at the right time but the computer stays on. I've set every combination for sleep times but, nothing works. Googled said problem and all of the suggestions are useless. Can't go back to 1903...
  10. Sleep Has Stopped Working

Sleep Has Stopped Working: Since installing Build 18362 the sleep and display off after xx minutes my PC have stopped working. I can put the PC to sleep manually via the Sleep option on the Power button. This has happened twice in the past with new versions installed on the fast and slow rings. Any...