Windows 10: Auto-sort by file type

Discus and support Auto-sort by file type in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to sort files in File Explorer by name only. Currently, there's a default setting where everything sorts by file type, then by filename.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AlleyDoesn'tCare, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Auto-sort by file type

I am trying to sort files in File Explorer by name only. Currently, there's a default setting where everything sorts by file type, then by filename. I don't want it sorted by file type--I don't care about the file type. The file type has no bearing on what I'm trying to do.

The file names begin with an alpha and end with numeric, if that makes a difference.

:)

AlleyDoesn'tCare, Apr 17, 2019

2. sorting jpg files

Hi

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you let us know, are you trying to sort in files in Explorer or Photos app?

If you are sorting in explorer, follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Open the folder in which files are stored.
    2. Right click on empty space of window.
    3. Select Sort by and click on
      Type

If you are trying to sort in Photos app by extension, we would suggest you to provide your feedback in
    Send feedback to Microsoft with the Feedback Hub app
    as there is no option available to sort by extension in the app. However you can sort by Modified, Newest, Oldest, and Alphabetical.

If you want to look only for the files with .jpg extension in photos app, you may type
    *.jpg in the search bar.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Apr 17, 2019
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Apr 17, 2019
  4. Auto-sort by file type

Any way to freely sort files in a folder without auto sorting in windows 10?

With older versions of windows I could freely drag a file within a folder and place it where I wanted regardless of auto sorting type, with windows 10 I can't find a way to freely put a file in between two other files without it auto sorting back or putting
    it into another folder. Wondering if anyone has a fix or a workaround thank you.

alexbb1123123, Apr 17, 2019
Thema:

Auto-sort by file type

1. Auto-sort by file type - Similar Threads - Auto sort file

2. Sort Folders by Type or Category?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort Folders by Type or Category?: I use my PC for software like Autodesk Maya, Blender, Zbrush, all common 3D software with directories and such. All of these software have directories to store their data in Documents, but I have other folders there and would like to sort them all with a label or something to...
  3. Sort Folders by Type or Category?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort Folders by Type or Category?: I use my PC for software like Autodesk Maya, Blender, Zbrush, all common 3D software with directories and such. All of these software have directories to store their data in Documents, but I have other folders there and would like to sort them all with a label or something to...
  4. Windows Explorer Auto-Sort Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Auto-Sort Question: Not so much a problem, but just a question.I have two mp4 files and two folders which used to house said files. Both of the mp4 files had similar names except one had an additional word and both of folders were named after whatever mp4 file it housed.When I go to sort it by...
  5. windows 11 sorting files by type and date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 sorting files by type and date: Just got windows 11, getting used to big and small changes. Can't seem to figure out the exact right way to have a folder with images and folders in icon view, but sort with folders at the top and most recent images after that. Helps with workin on projects to see the folders...
  6. windows 11 sorting files by type and date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 sorting files by type and date: Just got windows 11, getting used to big and small changes. Can't seem to figure out the exact right way to have a folder with images and folders in icon view, but sort with folders at the top and most recent images after that. Helps with workin on projects to see the folders...
  7. Sort files and folders of different type alphabetically

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort files and folders of different type alphabetically: Is there a way of sorting different types and folders alphabetically together in a folder? For example :- Folder Name A PDF Name A Folder Name B PDF Name B At the moment W10 would sort these as,even though I have only checked name in the sort by field :- Folder Name A...
  8. Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Any way to freely sort files in a search without auto sorting in windows 10?: Found this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-way-to-freely-sort-files-in-a-folder-without/ee0e6aad-3e65-4ebe-b027-293629329665 @Melchizedek Qui 1. How could we restore the BAGS or replace them to get the auto-search back if we want to have the...
  9. Sort by name, not type in folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort by name, not type in folder: Im having a big issues with folder sorting. Is there any way to actually sort by NAME? Like this: 1 Folder 2 PDF 3 PDF 4 Folder 5 TEXT Right now it sorts by type, when i choose to sort by name - makes no sense to me. Thank you....
  10. Sort and group files types by extension

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort and group files types by extension: Is there anyway to teach windows to group same type files, ie .jpg/.png and .avi/.mkv/.mp4 together? When I sort my media folder by type, i end up with .mp4 files being sandwiched between jpg and pngs Please dont tell me to make additional folders, I have my own reasons and...