Windows 10: auto start windows install when USB has multiple partitions

Discus and support auto start windows install when USB has multiple partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; i am planning to automate windows installation using answer autounattend.xml. i have used system manager for this and i am successful in it. however... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sandeepshekar, Jul 17, 2020.

1. auto start windows install when USB has multiple partitions

i am planning to automate windows installation using answer autounattend.xml. i have used system manager for this and i am successful in it.
    however my USB has two partitions one 2 GB FAT32 partition and other NTFS partition with remaining size. i use 64 gb USB drive.
    when i boot from USB, it stops at WINPE screen. to start the install process i have to manually navigate to other partition and type setup.exe. then install completes automatically without any intervention.
    any help on how to automate this process is much appreciated.

:)

sandeepshekar, Jul 17, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jul 17, 2020
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 17, 2020
  4. auto start windows install when USB has multiple partitions

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

auto start windows install when USB has multiple partitions

1. auto start windows install when USB has multiple partitions - Similar Threads - auto start install

2. Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.: I want to migrate my windows to a new ssd and I have watched multiple videos and read blogs but there is not a single piece of information on how to do it for hdd with multiple drives, I am trying to use macrium reflect for the process so what I am trying to do is to not...
  3. Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloning windows partition with multiple disk partitions.: I want to migrate my windows to a new ssd and I have watched multiple videos and read blogs but there is not a single piece of information on how to do it for hdd with multiple drives, I am trying to use macrium reflect for the process so what I am trying to do is to not...
  4. USB multiple partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB multiple partition: why on my windows 10 familly i can see the multiple partition of my USB stick but on my windows 10 education i cant see it the two computer have the same version (20h2) submitted by /u/Llandu-gor [link] [comments]...
  5. Multiple Windows Recovery Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Multiple Windows Recovery Partitions: My PC has multiple Windows recovery partitions, which bothers me.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-windows-recovery-partitions/e91f953f-79cf-4af8-9e27-50851ec0029b
  6. Problem with USB Auto Start

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with USB Auto Start: Since last Microsoft update I can not Autostart USB's. I have BestBuy Geek service and they could not help. I have a Dell desktop Inspiron 3670, 1 year old. My CD's will Auto Start....
  7. Does removing multiple recovery environment partitions on a PC that has multiple Windows OS...

Does removing multiple recovery environment partitions on a PC that has multiple Windows OS...: I want to regain some space by removing multiple recovery partitions leaving only one recovery environment on my PC. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-removing-multiple-recovery-environment/4aa2e81d-49c0-46fe-9409-fa3ced115d7b
  8. Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive: I have a 2TB thumb drive that I have created two partitions on. partition one is 31.25 GB and formatted as FAT32. partition two is 1921.87 GB and I cannot get it to format. I've tried formatting it as NTFS and exFAT and neither works. The Disk Management app reports:...
  9. Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions

Clean install on a HDD with multiple partitions: I want to re install windows 10 on my laptop [img] How can I keep my D: and E: partitions? Do i just delete the other 4 including C: where windows is installed and make a new 1 and install windows there? 111289
  10. Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to create multiple partitions on a USB flash drive?: Hello! I recently used a 16GB USB flash drive to create an installer for a new Linux distro. I noticed that the created partition is 8GB and the rest 8GB is unused. I want to create a second NTFS partition so I can use the USB as a recording medium for my PVR, but Disk...