Windows 10: Auto update initiating a 1 minute shutdown timer

Discus and support Auto update initiating a 1 minute shutdown timer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So Windows 10 updates somehow managed to become even more frustrating. Started up my PC this morning to watch a video. A few minutes into that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by CuRle, Apr 8, 2017.

1. CuRle Win User

Auto update initiating a 1 minute shutdown timer

So Windows 10 updates somehow managed to become even more frustrating.

Started up my PC this morning to watch a video. A few minutes into that video, I get a message on my screen telling me I'm about to be logged out and a shutdown has been scheduled for one minute. No postpone button, just a 'close' button. Windows didn't even have the decency to restart, just completely shutdown.

Started up my PC, got back into my video. Few minutes later, I get the same message! This time opened a Word document and mashed some letters into it, hoping that would halt the shutdown (cause I'm dumb and didn't think to try shutdown /a).
    Nope! Shutdown anyway, didn't care about my unsaved work! Same thing, shutdown, no restart.

Started up again, opened Word and found no document recovery. asdfgdfg was gone forever...
    How ticked off would you be if you were working on a document, went to get a drink and returned to your PC to find it shutdown and your work lost.

Is this normal behaviour for Windows 10 update? It's the first time I've had it happen.

:)

CuRle, Apr 8, 2017

2. E71: How to turn off security lock code?

Yes, I turned it on cause it is a cool feature to protect the phone. However, initially I was able to set the timer to 120 minutes (2 hours), then it would auto lock, now (as stated previously), it locks after two minutes.

I don't want to disable the feature. I just want it to wait 120 minutes before it locks....

theunis---01, Apr 8, 2017
  3. Auto Shutdown Custom Timer

Hello Community,

Am wondering whose discovered the cleanest, most reliable, pre-program PC shutdown app? This is for when we can't trust ourselves to not get lost in the world of our PC's and want a preprogrammed "out". Thanks for your tips and discoveries!

ps - am on Windows 10 Creators 1703.

NaomiJohnson, Apr 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @CuRle

That depends - what OS build number do you have? Use WinKey + R to run Winver and find out.

Bree, Apr 8, 2017
  5. CuRle Win User
    Version 1607 Build 14393.953

CuRle, Apr 8, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Then Windows 10 update shouldn't be behaving like that. The Anniversary Update (1607) introduced Active Hours, you should be able to set a period of up to 12 hours within which it won't try to restart.

Change Active Hours for Windows Update in Windows 10

If it is indeed Windows update that's restarting your PC then the update should be shown in Settings > Update & security along with a message that a restart is required, like the first screenshot in the above tutorial. I'm wondering if it's some other installed software that's auto-updating itself?

Bree, Apr 8, 2017
  7. CuRle Win User
    Well this is a bit embarrassing...
    Just realised I left the "When done" option set to shutdown, within Handbrake.

My bad.

CuRle, Apr 8, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Ooops *Smile

I have no idea why Handbrake includes that option. Never found much use for it myself.

Bree, Apr 8, 2017
  9. Hello everyone,
    For the last week, I got the message like "Run time error" then after my PC gone restart. It is unpredicted warning flash on my pc. I cannot be getting what's the problem. Please help me out.

AvinashKumar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Auto update initiating a 1 minute shutdown timer - Similar Threads - Auto update initiating

2. Process 1 initialization failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Process 1 initialization failed: Hello, I have an Asus N750J and it was freezing a lot and therefore I went online and followed some tutorials to fix this issue. This went pretty well and improvement was made until apparently a fatal error had been made. On this website I was looking through the steps:...
  3. Windows 10 “Locking” auto shutdown after 1 min

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 “Locking” auto shutdown after 1 min: Hi community and microsoft,i have a big problem. I turn on my computer,i login and after 1-2 min,my computer auto shutdown,but before that i get bluescreen “LOCKING” message.I turn on and after 1 min is happend the same thing.I try to create a short task for shutdown and to...
  4. Where is the auto shutdown feature?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Where is the auto shutdown feature?: So, I was just looking through my power settings and I can't seem to find a way to shut down my PC after a certain amount of time. There's an option to turn off the display, and an option to sleep, but no option to shut down. Have Microsoft removed this feature? If so,...
  5. window 10 auto shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    window 10 auto shutdown: How do I change the auto shut down on window 10. I would like it to stay on for 30 minutes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-auto-shutdown/2def7243-e1d8-49ae-97e5-a44aba5111b2
  6. the kernel power has initiated a shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    the kernel power has initiated a shutdown: Hi, I have been getting this report from the Event Viewer the last couple of mornings when the computer should have been in sleep mode. Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power Date: 9/30/2018 12:26:23 AM Event ID: 109 Task Category: (103) Level: Information...
  7. Automatically Restart in 1 Minute

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatically Restart in 1 Minute: I have this prompt "Your PC will Automatically Restart in 1 Minute". And keeps on restarting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/automatically-restart-in-1-minute/6b01302a-f856-4a54-ba09-5e4cf17dee6f
  8. "Disk 1 not initialized" error again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Disk 1 not initialized" error again: I thought this was fixed but "Disk 1 not initialized" error has popped up again. Not sure what to do. I was cleaning out data off this drive & moved it to another. Thankfully I believe I finished before this error began popping up again. "Disk 1 not initialized" I'm not...
  9. Disk 1 not initialized? (!)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk 1 not initialized? (!): I did a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit & now one of my hard drives has an issue. While on the desktop I could access the disk but it was very slow to scan & took several minutes. Once completed it seems to indicate all the folders but I could not access any of them....
  10. Safe mode initiating auto repair?

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe mode initiating auto repair?: For the last 9+ months updates are giving me trouble. I keep getting these 0x80073712 errors for any cumulative or .NET updates. The last update I got on my system was KB4033637. I have tried SFC and DISM which both fail. Today I decided to try SFC/DISM from safe mode. I...