Windows 10: Auto update of Virus Definitions

Discus and support Auto update of Virus Definitions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 20H2 Virus & Threat protection update was happening automatically till about a month back. Windows Update is also not automatic.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DevicharanBalasubramanian, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Auto update of Virus Definitions

Windows 10 Home 20H2

Virus & Threat protection update was happening automatically till about a month back. Windows Update is also not automatic.

Now, I need to click Check for Updates to get new definitions. I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter which found no problem.

I did not install any Windows Updates before this happened. I had a problem of memory overflow and at that time fiddled with Task Scheduler entries. Now I do not see any tasks in Task Scheduler> Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows Defender. I also did a Clean Boot but reverted to Normal Boot. In the process, something has gone wrong.

How can I make Windows Update / Virus & Threat Protection happen automatically.

Devicharan

:)

DevicharanBalasubramanian, Feb 14, 2021

2. virus and spyware definition

I followed the steps as suggested, and hence the problem got solved that time. But now again the virus definition is not getting updated. Its showing the same problem again. Any long term solution?

AbhinavSrivastav_790, Feb 14, 2021
  3. Rhina Vib Win User
    Virus and spyware definitions couldn't be updated.

Hi Ogunmola,

There are several possible reasons why you are unable to update your virus and spyware definitions in Windows 10. The most common cause is internet connectivity. If you are online, it can be caused by conflicts with the settings in Windows Internet Explorer.

For us to better assist you with this concern, we need to ask a few questions:

• Were there any changes made prior to this issue?
    • Are there issues with the internet connection?
    • Are you getting any error messages? Can you send a screenshot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

For steps to help resolve this issue with updating the virus and spyware definitions, you can refer to
    Giridhar J's post on this
    link

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Feb 14, 2021
  4. Auto update of Virus Definitions

Message that Virus and Spyware definitions can't be updated

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Did you try the suggestions provided earlier in this thread?
    • If yes, what were the results of each command?
    If you have not tried the suggestions provided earlier in this
    thread, please try and let us know the status, we'll be happy to assist you further.

Niranjan Manjhi, Feb 14, 2021
Thema:

Auto update of Virus Definitions

1. Auto update of Virus Definitions - Similar Threads - Auto update Virus

2. Virus And Spyware Definitions Update Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus And Spyware Definitions Update Issue: I am trying to update the virus and spyware definitions of my Dad's laptop but it is stuck at a particular point. It reads that it is downloading but has not moved from the point where it is currently in. Please, I would appreciate any help I can get, thank you....
  3. Virus and Spyware definition update.

Virus and Spyware definition update.: Tried multiple times updating definition but it still says of of date. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-and-spyware-definition-update/250ae572-fed5-452e-9fac-c56fd78ccd09
  4. update virus and spyware definitions

update virus and spyware definitions: I am unable to update my virus and spyware definitions. The update goes partway, then freezes - no matter what I do. any suggestions please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/update-virus-and-spyware-definitions/6dea28f8-15a9-4c77-a3a0-77b1a2f21349
  5. Problem Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions

Problem Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions: Split from this thread. virus and spyware definitions could not be updated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-updating-virus-and-spyware-definitions/39c4ca26-ce74-4aa3-be65-3e4969462381
  6. How to update the virus definition for the Defender?

How to update the virus definition for the Defender?: I am receiving the Win 10 alarm sounded while surfing the internet, saying my PC has virus, and led me to the process for virus update. I am wonder it was a fake message, I would appreciate someone can show me how to get the virus update by down load the virus definition...
  7. Can't update Defender virus definitions

Can't update Defender virus definitions: I keep getting the following error if I try to update the virus definitions in Microsoft Security Essentials "The virus and spyware definitions didn't update (Date and Time) because of an internet or network connectivity problem. If I try to update through windows update I...
  8. updating virus and spyware definition

updating virus and spyware definition: when I try to update my virus and spyware definitions the feedback message it gives me is that .this app couldn't check for virus and spyware definition updates. I used a wifi network which was strong enough but still thus the feedback,i need help to fix this problem...
  9. virus definitions daily update size

virus definitions daily update size: Recently, the daily update size seems to have jumped from a few MBs tot 40-50 MBs. Is this correct? I use a mobile connection allowing me to use 10GB monthly, so 1,5GB just for virus definitions updates is noticeably restricting my access to the internet. Any suggestions?...
  10. updating Virus and spyware definitions

updating Virus and spyware definitions: All of a sudden since 25 June 2018 the Virus and Spyware definitions is not getting updated and it says the PC status Potentially unprotected...