Windows 10: Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off

Discus and support Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a 4k hdr TV connected as second monitor Which I use from time to time. It is set as extended display. The thing is when I turn it off, I would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ancalimon, Feb 28, 2020.

1. ancalimon Win User

Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off

I have a 4k hdr TV connected as second monitor Which I use from time to time. It is set as extended display. The thing is when I turn it off, I would like Windows to automatically switch to show only on main display and when I turn it on I want Windows to remember the old position and settings of the secondary monitor and switch to extend these displays mode. Has anyone achieved this?

:)

ancalimon, Feb 28, 2020

2. Unable to interact with the content on the secondary monitor

I have three monitors plugged into a evga GTX 1060 ACX 2.0, the system is running latest Windows 10 pro.

Every night I put the computer to sleep. Occasionally, and more frequently the past week, I wake the computer in the morning to find very strange behavior:

• Whatever monitor is my main display works perfectly
    • Secondary monitors turn on and show the last content they had (any open browsers, programs, etc)
    • I can move my mouse into the secondary screens and see it moving around just fine
    • When I click or do any kind of interaction on those screen, the visuals do not update (again, mouse around moving is fine)
      • Click a window, the window focus never shows; scroll or press a button on a website, doesn't show any changes; click the Windows button, menu doesn't open
    • However, I can still interact with the screens despite not being able to see what I'm changing
      • Drag a window off the screen and it magically appears on the main display; press the 1-Click buy on an Amazon item, receive it 2-5 business days later
    • Changing the main display changes the screen I can interact with
    • Mucking with the resolution of the secondary monitors does not fix the issue but it does update their visuals
    • Display driver details:
      • Date: 2018-11-12
      • Version: 25.21.14.1694
    • I am in the process of downloading NVidia 2019 drivers to see if that helps

The only fix I've found so far (with my limited experience debugging display issues) is restarting the computer. Help!

***Modified title from: Secondary display content is frozen, can still see mouse and "interact" with frozen windows***

sean.hudson, Feb 28, 2020
  3. Ajhmain Win User
    The taskbar locked to bottom of secondary monitor moves to the primary monitor whenever primary monitor is switched on.

See the title.

I have the taskbar locked at the bottom of the secondary monitor so the primary monitor is completely empty for watching movies, games TV etc.

Whenever I turn the primary monitor on, the taskbar immediately jumps from the bottom of the seconday monitor over to the bottom of the primary monitor. I then need to untick the 'Locked' option on the taskbar, drag it back to the secondary and tick 'Locked'
    again.

The taskbar disrupts desktop icons on the primary and any application running on the primary monitor at the time and quite frustrating.

Primary monitor is an Asus PB328, connected via Display Port to the PC.

Secondary monitor is a Samsung 24 connected via DVI to the PC.

I expect the taskbar to remain where I place it when locked, regardless of monitors been switched on or off.

The sequence of turning on the primary and secondary monitors has no impact. As soon as the primary monitor (Asus on DP) is turned on, the locked taskbar moves to the primary display, regardless of whether the Samsung is on or not.

Ajhmain, Feb 28, 2020
  4. Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off

Repositioning app window on dual monitor, Windows 10

Hi Dreed,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, we would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and check.

1. Launch Skype.
    2. Drag the Skype Window to secondary monitor.
    3. Resize the window as per your preference.
    4. Maximize the Window and Restore Down.
    5. Then close the skype window in secondary monitor.
    6. Then try re-launching and check if the issue resolves.

Regards.

Manjunath_H, Feb 28, 2020
Thema:

Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off

1. Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off - Similar Threads - Automate show main

2. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  3. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...: First issue: When I switch my secondary monitor off, nothing changes good.However, when switching back on, all windows are moved to the primary monitor!!!That's stupid. I would accept if that happend when switching off, but not when switching back on!!!Secondary issue: The...
  4. Windows wrongly moved to primary monitor when switching on secondary monitor, and...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows unwantedly switching to secondary monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows unwantedly switching to secondary monitor: HelloI've been getting this issue quite often. Screen suddenly turns off, averagely at 10 minute intervals doesn't follow any pattern, totally random intervals, and switches to secondary monitor, even when it is not even connected. My computer is a relatively new ASUS laptop,...
  6. Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor

Main monitor causing black screen on both my main monitor and secondary monitor: As the title says, my main monitor is connected via hdmi and the secondary via DVI. Have been using both monitors for years, was working fine up until a few days ago. Computer would boot but neither neither screen came on, waited until my system auto logged on and tried...
  7. Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary monitor's resolution distorts when the tertiary monitor is turned off: The issue: The other day, I forget why/how, but my secondary monitor (on the right) has begun changing its resolution when the TV above my setup is turned off. It's weird, to say the least. imgur.com/a/qI9NQCP Note that this monitor is 1440x900, and that is the maximum...
  8. Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Automate show only on main monitor when secondary is switched off: I have a 4k hdr TV connected as second monitor Which I use from time to time. It is set as extended display. The thing is when I turn it off, I would like Windows to automatically switch to show only on main display and when I turn it on I want Windows to remember the old...
  9. 2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2nd Display becomes primary when main monitor is switched off: Hi, I have the following problem for a few weeks now: I have a "main" monitor attached to DVI and a beamer attached to HDMI of my GTX-960 graphics card. The monitor is set to primary display. For watching movies, I usually switch off the monitor, leaving only the...
  10. Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.

Touchscreen only works when it's main monitor.: I have a two monitor set up, with my main monitor being a 27" screen and a second 22" touchscreen as a secondary monitor. I can only get the touchscreen monitor to pick up touches if I make it my main monitor. As soon as I switch my main monitor back to my 27" monitor...