Windows 10: Automated Shortcut Creating

Discus and support Automated Shortcut Creating in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Howdy, Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Add This PC... This will make a "This PC" shortcut on desktop,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by omidsolo, Aug 31, 2015.

1. omidsolo Win User

Automated Shortcut Creating

Howdy,

Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Add This PC...

This will make a "This PC" shortcut on desktop, which if you right click on, and choose Properties, will open up "System Details Window" rather than just showing a simple Properties window.

I want to automate the creation of this shortcut by a .reg or a .bat file somehow, anyone can help?
    Please note, just .rar or .bat automation.
    Thanks in advance *Smile

:)

omidsolo, Aug 31, 2015
  2. SBA
    sba Win User

Shortcuts copied to %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs don't show up on the Start Menu

On the old machine, all shortcuts in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs have a corresponding tile (but not vice-versa).

So I naively thought copying those shortcut files would result in tiles being created.

As this is apparently not the case, how do I cause the tiles for these shortcut files to be created? Alternatively, how do I automate (PowerShell preferred) the creation of those tiles?

Note: C:\ProgramData\Start Menu\Programs corresponds to the system-wide (machine-scope) list of programs in the Start Menu list, not to the per-user list of programs or to the per-user list of tiles...

3. Louie Del Win User
    automation server can't create object

Hi Mohammed,

The issue that you’ve encountered can be caused by corrupted scripts or can be related to a browser error. For us to isolate this concern, can you confirm if this error only occurs in
    Internet Explorer or also with other web browsers?

In the meantime, I’d recommend checking this article that contains troubleshooting
    steps that you can perform to resolve this issue.

Let me know the outcome after trying the steps.

Louie Del, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

Not sure why you would want to go looking for these files time after time, rather than just using the default settings, but here you go:
    (remember to 'Unblock' the zip folder when you download it)

This PC-Add-Remove.zip

Edwin, Aug 31, 2015
  5. omidsolo Win User
    Thank you very much Edwin for your valuable help.
    Actually we assemble tens of PCs each week, and I install their Windows (7 or 10) and some basic applications.
    Rather than configuring the settings of Windows and applications, I am creating a number of .reg files to just run and save time on multiple systems!
    Good idea?!

omidsolo, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    Okay, I see what you're doing now. Good idea! Sorry for jumping to conclusions. *Wink

Edwin, Aug 31, 2015
  7. omidsolo Win User
    Never mind, you helped me, here's a cool forum, the members are willing to help and are expert, hope I can help back someway *Smile

omidsolo, Aug 31, 2015
  8. Astyero Win User

Is it possible doing the same thing with Control Panel?

Astyero, Aug 31, 2015
  9. omidsolo Win User
    Right click on Desktop > Personalize > Themes > Desktop Icon Settings > Add This PC...

omidsolo, Aug 31, 2015
  10. Astyero Win User
    Yes i know . I mean with a .reg file please

Astyero, Aug 31, 2015
  11. omidsolo Win User
    Edwin already posted a .reg file link to add and remove shortcut from desktop!

omidsolo, Aug 31, 2015
  12. Astyero Win User
    This is not exactly what I mean but i found the solution ;-)

This PC :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
    "{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMe nu]
    "{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

Control Panel :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
    "{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMe nu]
    "{5399E694-6CE5-4D6C-8FCE-1D8870FDCBA0}"=dword:00000000

Astyero, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Automated Shortcut Creating - Similar Threads - Automated Shortcut Creating

2. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  3. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create A Shortcut: I would like to create a shortcut that would be placed on my desktop. I have logged onto a webpage and want to create a shortcut. How do I do that? Thanks for any help with this,...
  4. Create A Shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  6. Create shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create shortcut: Dell Inspiron 15 3505 laptop with WIndows 10 Build 19042.685 Today I have added Foobar2000, via Microsoft Store, to the laptop. I am having difficulty finding how to create a shortcut on for Foobar2000. I cannot find the exe either; I would use this to create a shortcut if...
  7. create shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    create shortcuts: How do I create a shortcut easily as was done in earlier programs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-shortcuts/31eee41e-7dfe-4726-bff4-c5ea4af40c28
  8. Create my own shortcut of shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Create my own shortcut of shortcuts: Hi! Due COVID-19 I am working remote right now and I'm using Remote Desktop Connection app. My problem is that sometimes I want to change fast between the PC from my job and my personal. I am doing that using CTRL + ALT + HOME and WIN + D which is pretty annoying for me. I...
  9. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  10. Create Desktop Shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Create Desktop Shortcut: O.k. I give up...can someone tell me how to create a desktop shortcut ? using Edge browser....also how do you move something from the favourites bar to the desktop?......it must be possible surely ?........Del. 73345