Windows 10: Automated storage tiering software for Windows 10

Discus and support Automated storage tiering software for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm looking for an automated storage tiering (similar to the way in which Apple's Fusion Drive works) software for Windows 10, that works good on NVMe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LGariv, Oct 31, 2019.

1. /u/LGariv Win User

Automated storage tiering software for Windows 10

I'm looking for an automated storage tiering (similar to the way in which Apple's Fusion Drive works) software for Windows 10, that works good on NVMe drives (I read that some programs does not work well with NVMe drives).

My set up is 64GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, Windows is installed on the SSD (obviously) and the HDD is used for part of the software I use as well as storing backups, downloads, images, etc.

(Free software preferable, but if it's really good I don't mind paying a little bit.)

submitted by /u/LGariv
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LGariv, Oct 31, 2019

2. Does Windows 10 support tiered storage?

No prob.

These devices aren't susceptible to things like the samsung drives for firmware updates/etc. They have their own control layer and can still be updated and monitored once in the array.

I think till this gets flushed out, I'm just going to run a 2-column, 2-copy, 4 HDD setup and use the flash for other use cases right now. I can always rebuild this later if some kind of active tiering or tiering policies become available.

Let me know if I missed some rule setting somewhere that would control where the data lands.

It could be a difference between windows 10 and server 2012+, but I'm definitely not experiencing what this article shows:

Understand Storage Space Tiering in Windows Server 2012 R2

"Behavior of Storage Space Tiering

Here are the data flows start from the storage pool and virtual disk got provisioned.

• After virtual disk with tiered storage got provisioned, the virtual disk would have certain capacity for each tier (SSD and HDD). At that point of time, both of the tiers are empty. When there is new data coming in, the data would write to SSD Tier
      directly until SSD Tier is full.
    • After SSD Tier is full, new incoming random writes will first go to write back cache and then flush to HDD tier. If write back cache is full (be default each virtual disk has only 1GB write back cache), then the data will be written to HDD directly.
    • At the same time, Write Back Cache will continue flush data to HDD tier.
    • When Write Back Cache is available again, it would handle new incoming random writes."

Thanks,

-- Dave

DavidWujcik, Oct 31, 2019
  3. CWagz78 Win User
    Does Windows 10 support tiered storage?

Hi,

Respectfully, this question is not related to servers. The OP is asking if Windows 10 Pro supports tiered storage spaces. I came here with the same question. Does Windows 10 Pro allow for the creation of a tiered storage space with SSDs used to accelerate
    the pool?

Please provide an answer related to Windows 10 Pro.

Thank you,

CWagz78, Oct 31, 2019
  4. Ser_Olmy Win User

Does Windows 10 support tiered storage?

Would also like to see this answered. Does Windows 10 Pro Storage Spaces support tiered storage?

Ser_Olmy, Oct 31, 2019
Thema:

1. Automated storage tiering software for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Automated storage tiering

2. Windows 11 and Storage Spaces / Tiered Storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 and Storage Spaces / Tiered Storage: I have Windows 11 Pro not Workstation or Enterprise and I would create a Storage Space with the "Manage Storage Spaces" and I add 3 drives into a Simple non -mirrored/non-parity volume, 1 NVMe SSD and 2 HDD's, would this automatically make the Storage Space Tiered, e.g. WIll...
  3. Windows 11 and Storage Spaces / Tiered Storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 and Storage Spaces / Tiered Storage: I have Windows 11 Pro not Workstation or Enterprise and I would create a Storage Space with the "Manage Storage Spaces" and I add 3 drives into a Simple non -mirrored/non-parity volume, 1 NVMe SSD and 2 HDD's, would this automatically make the Storage Space Tiered, e.g. WIll...
  4. windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs: When i use Windows Server 2016, ntfs write data will be written directly to the ssd layer, but in Windows Server 2019 and 2022, ntfs will write data directly to the hdd layer, resulting in very poor parity performance, how should I set up ntfs data to write directly to the...
  5. windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs: When i use Windows Server 2016, ntfs write data will be written directly to the ssd layer, but in Windows Server 2019 and 2022, ntfs will write data directly to the hdd layer, resulting in very poor parity performance, how should I set up ntfs data to write directly to the...
  6. Help with Windows 10 Storage Spaces with tiering

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with Windows 10 Storage Spaces with tiering: Hi, Hope anybody can help. I'm running in to an error setting up a Storage Space with tiering on my Windows 10 machine (Version 20H2). I have two 2TB HDD's and one 250GB SSD. I want to create a storage space simple mirror over the two HDD's with the SSD as a fast Tier. I...
  7. No Code Windows Automation software like Mac’s Automator

No Code Windows Automation software like Mac’s Automator: Hello! I am looking for a free automation software that has a Schedule feature and that works like the Automator on Mac. The software needs to have a ”run software” action, be able to click on stuff on screen, get active window action, a if action, message action, get window...
  8. Storage Spaces: SSD Tiering

Storage Spaces: SSD Tiering: I'm building a volume with 10 HDDs and an SSD. If I configure it through the UI will it automatically tier the SSD or does that still need to be done via powershell? Windows 10 Enterprise (latest build, forget exact number) submitted by /u/DirkEdgewoode [link] [comments]...
  9. Error optimizing storage tiers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error optimizing storage tiers: I'm using Storage Spaces on Windows 10 with a two-tier setup (SSD & HDD). However, I noticed I wasn't getting the expected performance out of the configuration. I've done some research, and it appears as though something is wrong with the tiering. The volume does 'work',...
  10. Best automation software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best automation software: It's Fast keys,has all the required features and is constantly updated --- 1)Has text expander with this for e.g you can open a site by pressing qw or qe or any combination,including Function keys you can even shutdown,restart,standy with this,create a shortcut to type text...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. automated tiering windows 10