Windows 10: Automatic file compression

Discus and support Automatic file compression in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Today my laptop seems to have automatically compressed all the files and folders on my desktop. I've been able to decompress them with no problems but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MattW28, Feb 6, 2019.

1. MattW28 Win User

Automatic file compression

Today my laptop seems to have automatically compressed all the files and folders on my desktop. I've been able to decompress them with no problems but now every time I save a new file, windows compresses it. Does anyone know how to turn this automatic compression off? I have 40gb of free space on my hard drive. Thanks.

:)

MattW28, Feb 6, 2019

2. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

As you may already know, if this feature is on, every new folder/file you add starts off automatically compressed. If you would like to turn it off for the whole drive, kindly follow these steps:

• Start File Explorer . In the left pane, right-click on the drive that you would not want to be compressed.
    • Click Properties.
    • Make sure that the Compress this drive to save disk space box is unchecked.
    • Click OK then Apply.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Darian Tab, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Hi Marvin,

You can set the compression state of folders and compress or decompress files by using My Computer or a command-line program called Compact. We recommend following these steps to set a folder in a decompression state:

• Start Windows Explorer . In the left pane, select the folder you want to compress or decompress.

• On the File menu, click Properties to display the
      Properties dialog box.

• On the General tab, click Advanced .

• In the Advanced Attributes dialog box, clear the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click
      OK .

• In the Properties dialog box, click OK .

• To keep existing files or subfolders in the NTFS folders in their current compression state, click
      Apply changes to this folder only , and then click OK .

Let us know if you need further help.

Darian Tab, Feb 6, 2019
  4. RejZoR Win User

Compress files??

It all depends on the contents. Back in the early days of DVD games, they had plenty of space compared to CD's. So they left stuff uncompressed on the DVD itself. Compressing such ISO image would result in very high compression ratio. But these days, even DVD discs are becoming small and game companies are already using data compression to fit more data on the same DVD. And since you cannot compress already compressed data, you're seeing more and more of the 99% compresion ratio moments.

Good examples of such scenarios is when you want to compres uncompressed WAV file and a MP3 file. WAV is not compressed and you can decrease its size significantly. You might gain few kilobytes when trying to compress already compressed MP3. The same is with images. You can compress BMP images rather well but when compressing JPG images, you won't really gain anything as its already compressed.

There are few very specialized algorithms that may gain some more compression out of already compressed data, but the gains are usually very small and usually not worth the extra compression time needed to perform the compression itself. Plus you can only use them to compress very specific data files.

RejZoR, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Automatic file compression - Similar Threads - Automatic file compression

2. Windows 10 automatically compressing files? Here’s the fix!

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 automatically compressing files? Here’s the fix!: [ATTACH]Does Windows 10 keep on compressing files automatically? If so, you can fix this issue by following the methods listed in this post. Here, we are going to share multiple working solutions to fix Windows 10 automatically compressing files issue. File compression is...
  3. Compressing Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Compressing Files: Is it safe to compress all the folders in c drive? Please answer !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressing-files/1d9bcd44-7272-4ed6-a598-3724a298ba3d
  4. File Compression . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Compression . . .: My computer, is a "Dell" laptop. Running, Windows 10 pro. I want to compress all my files. Like "Documents". WinZip was the first one, I found. But, WinZip, is not free. So, I typed in. Show me alternatives, to WinZip. I found, quite a few. But even, the alternatives. Have,...
  5. Stop compressing files automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stop compressing files automatically: My PC got pretty low on storage a few months ago and started compressing files by itself. I have now got around 200gb free and would like it to stop. Has anyone got any potential solutions to stop this, please? I have already looked at the properties of the C drive and the...
  6. Automatic compression of newly downloaded files

Automatic compression of newly downloaded files: As of recently I've had an issue driving me insane. One day all my files on my SSD were compressed! I manually undid it by unticking the checkbox in properties on my SSD then did the popular line in cmd as admin "fsutil behavior set disablecompression 1", rebooted and after...
  7. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?: Have seen this on two machines now. Wake machine to find all files on C drive compressed. Dual blue arrows on every file and folder. Go to settings on the drive and find Compress File is checked. None of our computers have ever had compression set as it messes with some of...
  8. Files in C drive automatically compressing

Files in C drive automatically compressing: Every new file I make is automatically compressed and have those 2 annoying blue arrows on them. Looked on the forums and got no answer that solved how to stop it. They all either said uncheck the "compress this drive to save disk space" box on the properties of the drive,...
  9. How to reverse the automatic compression of all files

How to reverse the automatic compression of all files: After an update that I received today every file on my C: drive is showing the 2 blue arrows pointing at each other, indicating that they have been compressed. I have 'compress files to save disk space' disabled on the disk properties (have never turned it on) and >30GB free...
  10. Files in C: drive automatically compressing?

Files in C: drive automatically compressing?: Hello everyone, yesterday i noticed lots of folders and shortcuts having 2 blue arrows on the top right of the icon. This means the file is compressed in the properties. But how do i make it stop? Every new file/folder i add automatically compresses and i don't want it to....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. automatic compression file windows 10

2. turn off windows automatic compression