Windows 10: Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop

Discus and support Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone I recently updated to Windows 10 1909 from 1903 version and facing a problem post update. Moving a cursor over a file frequently pops up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Adarsha ಆದರ್ಶ, May 13, 2020.

1. Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop

Hi everyone

I recently updated to Windows 10 1909 from 1903 version and facing a problem post update. Moving a cursor over a file frequently pops up delete box n starts deleting my files/folders in both internal and external storage. Sometimes nothing happens and whenever delete box spontaneously pops out, 'This PC' icon on desktop disappears. Have scanned with Windows Defender, Microsoft Safety Scanner, Avast Antivirus but with no benefit. I did fresh install of Windows 10 after formatting and also tried Safe Boot. help me what's this issue and way to solve this.. Help appreciated and Thanks.

:)

Adarsha ಆದರ್ಶ, May 13, 2020
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, May 13, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons disappeared

Hi Kinsley,

• Are you referring to the desktop icons?
    • When did the icons disappear? Did you make any changes to the system Settings?

It's possible that your device is in Tablet mode. I suggest you to turn it off and check if the icons appear. To do so, select the
    Action center icon on the taskbar (the little message box next to the date and time), and then select
    Tablet mode to turn it on or off.

Also refer the following thread which discusses about a similar issue.

Windows 10 - Desktop icons disappeared - I may have hit something that is causing my problem

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with the status of the issue to continue assisting you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 13, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop

Icons disappeared and theme changed.

Hi Roland,

Corrupted system files may be one of the possible causes why the icons on your desktop disappeared. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Have you tried creating a new user profile and check if the problem is in the current profile or also with the new profile?

Meanwhile, I suggest that you follow the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this
    thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Additionally, You can reset the Icon Cache. Kindly follow the steps provided below:

• Open File Explorer and navigate to the following folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • In the Explorer folder, you will see a lot of files with the
      iconcache name. Delete all of them.

Once you have deleted all the iconcache files, a folder names IconCacheToDelete
    will appear. Simply restart your PC and this folder will disappear.

In the event that you are unable to delete some of the files, see the steps below:

• Open elevated Command Prompt. (Win+X > Command Prompt (Admin))
    • Type the following command, and then press Enter:

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer

If the issue still persists, I recommend you try the suggestion provided by
    kpeW9
    on this thread or the steps shared by
    Guru Khan G on this thread
    to troubleshoot your concern. This will also help you scan for corruption and restore corrupted files/Windows corruptions error.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, May 13, 2020
Thema:

Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop

1. Automatic file deletion and disappearance of 'This PC' icon on desktop - Similar Threads - Automatic file deletion

2. Desktop icon disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icon disappeared: The Desktop Canon printer icon disappearedHow to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-icon-disappeared/4b3da210-d807-4d51-83e9-275e001532a1
  3. Desktop Icon disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon disappeared: Hi everyone,Im currently experiencing icon went missing on desktop as the same time not able to perform left/right click on it even with touch pad or external mouse. Only the Desktop part not fucntioning wherenby the rest are still working as normal. Any expert here would be...
  4. Desktop Icons Disappearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons Disappearing: What the title says. My desktop icons keeps disappearing randomly. I don't mean all of them, like this time the google chrome icon was gone but everything else was there. All help would be appreciated. Thanks! submitted by /u/Aredditorandahalf [link] [comments]...
  5. Desktop Icons Disappearing

Desktop Icons Disappearing: For no explainable reason, the Icons on my Desktop Recycle Bin etc have disappeared. I have tried going through Personalization and Themes and ticking the icons I want on my Desktop but it's not working. Any advice? Thanks in advance...
  6. icons on desktop disappeared

icons on desktop disappeared: I have MS 10 and have an HP. My internet Explorer and other icons have disappeared. In place are a lot of blocks with different offerings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-on-desktop-disappeared/384198c5-9f8b-43c1-852f-3695f2b7f68c
  7. Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there

in Windows 10 Support
    Disappeared Files Desktop, desktop icons are still there: I was sorting files for a backup and made the mistake of putting them all on my desktop. Then i opened a movie with VLC and tried to add a subtitle file from my desktop. This failed for some reason without VLC giving an error so i tried again. I dragged the file from my...
  8. desktop icon disappear

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop icon disappear: windows 10 starts with a black screen (with few locked applications to task bar & tray) no right click so I can't ask to show desktop icons). It seems that the black screen is covering the desktop because playing with the settings (personalization etc) show all icons for a...
  9. Desktop Icon disappears

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icon disappears: Hello, I'm trying to research this issue for a small software company I work for. one of the most common issues I seem to see lately is that our customers are telling us that their shortcut to our program is disappearing from their desktop of their workstation computers....
  10. Icon/Files disappeared or deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon/Files disappeared or deleted: After upgrading to Windows 10, I faced a problem that any files/icon (except Recycle Bin) on the desktop (or even in the folder also) are disappeared / deleted when I double-clicked on it. The files are gone to recycle bin. I run an antivirus software and checked and found no...