Windows 10: Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

Discus and support Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I open my "Security and Maintenance", & click on: "Start maintenance", it continues to say: "Maintenance in progress" & never changes.Now after 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Christopher Canfield 722, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

When I open my "Security and Maintenance", & click on: "Start maintenance", it continues to say: "Maintenance in progress" & never changes.Now after 2 days, Windows Maintenance keeps running when idle, the icon for maintenance stays in the taskbar even after hours, so I think it's not doing anything. It never finishes anymore!How can I solve this ?PLEASE HELP ME !Chris Canfield.

:)

Christopher Canfield 722, Jul 11, 2022
  2. Rong Jie Win User

Questions about Automatic Maintenance

I am not sure if there is a better name for Automatic Maintenance, I am referring to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.

How I know defragmentation is part of Automatic Maintenance:

• Open Defragmenter.
    • Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.
    • Start Maintenance.
    • Go back to defragmenter, you will see it starts running.
    Since Automatic Maintenance will try to run during idle time and defragmentation is part of it, my HDD is being (partially) defragmented everyday. Is it harmful to my HDD?

Rong Jie, Jul 11, 2022
  3. Rong Jie Win User

I know when my computer is idle, Automatic Maintenance will start to run automatically and when I start to use my computer actively again it will stop. But since my usual idle time is far too short for the whole process to run completely, defragmentation
    of my HDD (which is one of the first few steps in Automatic Maintenance) will never complete before I start using my computer, so I sometimes start maintenance manually through Control Panel. How often should I run it manually for best performance? Will overdoing
    defragmentation harms my HDD?

Also, I am curious about what are the steps carried out in Automatic Maintenance, all I know is defragmentation is definitely part of it.

Rong Jie, Jul 11, 2022
  4. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

Hi,

Kindly reply us with the below information.

• When you say "Automatic Maintenance" are you referring to System maintenance?

If you are referring to System maintenance, you can do on a regular basis,
    System maintenance is an ongoing activity, which covers a wide variety of activities, including removing program ,required to keep a computer system running properly.

Defragmentation you can run once a week on each drive. Schedule it to run at a time when the computer is likely to be on.

Thanks & regards.

Mohammed Ali.

Mohammed AliAli, Jul 11, 2022
Thema:

Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

1. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ? - Similar Threads - Automatic Maintenance never

2. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?: When I open my "Security and Maintenance", & click on: "Start maintenance", it continues to say: "Maintenance in progress" & never changes.Now after 2 days, Windows Maintenance keeps running when idle, the icon for maintenance stays in the taskbar even after hours, so I think...
  3. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?: When I open my "Security and Maintenance", & click on: "Start maintenance", it continues to say: "Maintenance in progress" & never changes.Now after 2 days, Windows Maintenance keeps running when idle, the icon for maintenance stays in the taskbar even after hours, so I think...
  4. How to change time of automatic maintenance?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to change time of automatic maintenance?: Every single night, between 2:00 and 3:00am, my computer wakes itself up from sleep. The keyboard lights up, both monitor turn on, and the pc starts making noise. It does this because it is doing automatic maintenance. This wakes me up. Every single night. It wakes up 2-4...
  5. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  6. Overnight Automatic Maintenance Never Runs

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Overnight Automatic Maintenance Never Runs: Just wondering if anyone has a Win10 desktop that actually wakes up overnight, does automatic maintenance and then goes back to sleep. My PC has never done it. Auto maintenance does run if I stop using my computer and let it idle. According to Microsoft, if one uses the...
  7. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  8. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  9. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...
  10. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Maintenance never ends