Windows 10: Automatic Maintenance

Discus and support Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Condy, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Condy Win User

Automatic Maintenance

This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please?

:)

Condy, Oct 18, 2018
  2. Rong Jie Win User

Questions about Automatic Maintenance

I am not sure if there is a better name for Automatic Maintenance, I am referring to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.

How I know defragmentation is part of Automatic Maintenance:

• Open Defragmenter.
    • Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance.
    • Start Maintenance.
    • Go back to defragmenter, you will see it starts running.
    Since Automatic Maintenance will try to run during idle time and defragmentation is part of it, my HDD is being (partially) defragmented everyday. Is it harmful to my HDD?

Rong Jie, Oct 18, 2018
  3. Rong Jie Win User

I know when my computer is idle, Automatic Maintenance will start to run automatically and when I start to use my computer actively again it will stop. But since my usual idle time is far too short for the whole process to run completely, defragmentation
    of my HDD (which is one of the first few steps in Automatic Maintenance) will never complete before I start using my computer, so I sometimes start maintenance manually through Control Panel. How often should I run it manually for best performance? Will overdoing
    defragmentation harms my HDD?

Also, I am curious about what are the steps carried out in Automatic Maintenance, all I know is defragmentation is definitely part of it.

Rong Jie, Oct 18, 2018
  4. Automatic Maintenance

Hi,

Kindly reply us with the below information.

• When you say "Automatic Maintenance" are you referring to System maintenance?

If you are referring to System maintenance, you can do on a regular basis,
    System maintenance is an ongoing activity, which covers a wide variety of activities, including removing program ,required to keep a computer system running properly.

Defragmentation you can run once a week on each drive. Schedule it to run at a time when the computer is likely to be on.

Thanks & regards.

Mohammed Ali.

Mohammed AliAli, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

Automatic Maintenance

1. Automatic Maintenance - Similar Threads - Automatic Maintenance

2. Automatic Maintenance - can I keep working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Maintenance - can I keep working?: Hi All,I like to use the Automatic Maintenance feature once in a while. I start it manually .. it's not set to start by itself.My question, though, is:If I do any work on the computer, will Automatic Maintenance stop or be interrupted?In other words ... do I have to be...
  3. Automatic Maintenance - can I keep working?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Maintenance - can I keep working?: Hi All,I like to use the Automatic Maintenance feature once in a while. I start it manually .. it's not set to start by itself.My question, though, is:If I do any work on the computer, will Automatic Maintenance stop or be interrupted?In other words ... do I have to be...
  4. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Customization
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. I want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle, disrupting my work...
  5. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. Im sick of it and want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle,...
  6. WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.

WIndows 10 Automatic maintenance not working as required. How to disable it.: My automatic maintenance does not work on Windows 10 as required. Im sick of it and want to disable it. Its only meant to run once a day at the set time but everyone knows that doesnt happen and it seems to scan numerous times throughout the day when my computer is idle,...
  7. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?: When I open my "Security and Maintenance", & click on: "Start maintenance", it continues to say: "Maintenance in progress" & never changes.Now after 2 days, Windows Maintenance keeps running when idle, the icon for maintenance stays in the taskbar even after hours, so I think...
  8. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?: When I open my "Security and Maintenance", & click on: "Start maintenance", it continues to say: "Maintenance in progress" & never changes.Now after 2 days, Windows Maintenance keeps running when idle, the icon for maintenance stays in the taskbar even after hours, so I think...
  9. Automatic Maintenance never ends: How do I fix this ?

10. Automatic maintenance behavior

Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...