Windows 10: Automatic Recovery Loop - Only Command Prompt available

Discus and support Automatic Recovery Loop - Only Command Prompt available in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Help. Norton update triggered blue automatic recovery loop. BitLocker key was set up. C: drive is locked and all I have access to is the command prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rmshelp, Sep 7, 2019.

1. rmshelp Win User

Automatic Recovery Loop - Only Command Prompt available

Help. Norton update triggered blue automatic recovery loop. BitLocker key was set up. C: drive is locked and all I have access to is the command prompt with errors when trying to access C: drive. Any hope of recovery outside of a full wipe of system? Surface Pro running Windows 10 and life sucks right now... I think (???) I'm in safe mode. I can access X: D: drives.

:)

rmshelp, Sep 7, 2019
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Sep 7, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Sep 7, 2019
  4. Mark Isi Win User

Windows won't reset or restore, Automatic repair loop

Hi Bruno,

When the Automatic repair fails, we can suggest using the command prompt from Windows 10 Boot Options menu to run bootrec commands to fix the files the Auto Repair couldn't. Here are the steps:

• On the windows Recovery Option, choose Troubleshoot >
      Advanced Options
    • Select Command Prompt.
    • Enter the following commands in the Command Prompt:
    • bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot
    Once the repair is done, restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved. Let us know the outcome, so we could provide further assistance as necessary.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Sep 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Automatic Recovery Loop - Only Command Prompt available - Similar Threads - Automatic Recovery Loop

2. Automatic Repair Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic Repair Command Prompt: I am trying to repair my computer in Automatic Repair on Windows 10. However, when I try to run command prompt in this mode it insists I need an administrator account, which i do not have and was actually going to create with command prompt. How do I work around this?...
  3. windows command prompt automatically starts

windows command prompt automatically starts: windows command prompt automatically starting and then automatically stopping https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-command-prompt-automatically-starts/037933a7-4973-48cf-bead-3d3a17e5d7f0
  4. Automatic recovery loop

Automatic recovery loop: Hi, for a couple of days now my computer has been in an automatic recovery loop where everytime i restart the pc it takes me back to the same screen, i've tried all of the troubleshoot options such as restore pc or reset pc but none of them seem to work....
  5. Cannot enable recovery agent in command prompt.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cannot enable recovery agent in command prompt.: So i am getting this message when i try to enable it. I've disabled it when i was trying some things online in order to fix the windows recovery agent. [img] . I am using in admin mode. 153858
  6. Stuck in command prompt loop of advanced recovery

Stuck in command prompt loop of advanced recovery: Hello All, I tried to boot in safe mode. At login screen 1. Power -> Shift+restart 2. Troubleshoot 3. Advanced options 4. here i was supposed to select STARTUP SETTINGS, but i selected COMMAND PROMPT by mistake. Now it is asking for an admin account password ad...
  7. Windows 10 Recovery Loop. No access to Command Prompt or any options because Administrator...

Windows 10 Recovery Loop. No access to Command Prompt or any options because Administrator...: A recent Windows 10 update ruined my PC. I cannot access any of the Advanced Options like Command Prompt, Start Repair etc.. The message displayed is "You need to sign in as administrator to continue, but there are no administrators on this PC" I cannot go into Safe Mode,...
  8. Reinstall from Recovery Mode's Command Prompt?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall from Recovery Mode's Command Prompt?: So, I've had a problem with booting Windows 10, and I've decided on Reinstalling Windows 10, without losing personal files. The only way that I can do that now is via the Command Prompt in Recovery Mode, but I'm unsure of what commands to type in to do that, as Google isn't...
  9. Bitlocker loop not solved by command prompt

Bitlocker loop not solved by command prompt: After I entered the key, it returned back to the page that asked the key, so I tried to google a solution. After typing in manage-bde -unlock c: -rp <whatever my key was>, it said that the syntax was incorrect....
  10. "Open command prompt" no longer available in QAT

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open command prompt" no longer available in QAT: The tutorial Add or Remove Quick Access Toolbar Items in Windows 10 File Explorer Windows 10 Customization Tutorials Step 5 describes how to add to the File explorer Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). For some reason the option to add a command prompt is gone on all my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. repair windows 10 installation command prompt