Windows 10: Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key.

Discus and support Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 laptop with bitlocker turned on. Bitlocker was turned on before my time it seems. Our Sys Admin has no idea where the key would be.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bpear, Nov 4, 2020.

1. /u/bpear Win User

Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key.

I have a Windows 10 laptop with bitlocker turned on. Bitlocker was turned on before my time it seems. Our Sys Admin has no idea where the key would be. Anyways the machine is in a "automatic repair failed" loop and won't boot up. Any solution to fix boot issues on this thing? Safe mode, CMD from Windows installer etc all require bitlocker recovery key to do anything.

Any suggestions to get this thing to boot up is greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/bpear
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/bpear, Nov 4, 2020

2. Lost BitLocker recovery key

I encrypted my laptop with BitLocker.

Unfortunately, I lost the Bitlocker recovery key.

Is there any way to find the key recovery key?

I know the recovery key ID!

Thank you!

IUSTIN PRIESCU, Nov 4, 2020
  3. bitlocker recovery key

Hi Singh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. Are you not able login to your computer due to BitLocker Recovery Key?
    2. Did you ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key on your computer?
    3. Are you not able to login to your Microsoft Account to find the BitLocker Recovery Key?
    4. Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Professional?

Meanwhile, try finding BitLocker Recovery Key if you have ever setup BitLocker Recovery Key for your computer.

Please elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and get back to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Nov 4, 2020
  4. Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key.

BitLocker Recovery key not found

Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 running Windows 10.1 Home. Here's what happened:

• I was using Spotify one day and my computer started hanging. So I restarted the computer via the Start menu.
    • The computer went into automatic repair and then automatic repair failed. I disabled automatic repair using bcdedit and rebooted.
    • Then the computer went into Windows recovery. When I was exploring the different options on recovery, I noticed that some of them requested for the Bitlocker recovery key before I could proceed.
    • This was the first time I knew of BitLocker’s existence, so I definitely did not activate BitLocker manually. I’m not sure how my internal SSD contents got encrypted on their own.
    • I tried solutions like secure boot in BIOS, resetting BIOS settings to their defaults, all with no luck. At one point I also re-enabled Automatic repair.
    • Now, when the affected computer is booted up, I am brought to the BitLocker recovery screen.
    Based on my reading and conversations with Microsoft Tech Support, when a Windows 10 Home computer is purchased, and the user signs in to a Microsoft account on first startup, BitLocker is setup automatically.

So I went to that same Microsoft account that I used to setup the affected computer.

Sure enough, my device was listed there:

Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key. a07e7747-625b-474c-8701-a41b851df395?upload=true.png

It even told me BitLocker was ON when I clicked “Manage”.

Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key. 9e7a33dd-27d6-476b-a55c-5d91c86e261d?upload=true.png

However when I clicked “Manage recovery key” and I got past the 2 factor authentication, I got this…

Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key. 43182919-90e8-4a49-9a71-7546fc588355?upload=true.png

? It seems that no recovery key is associated with my account. But how is that possible given that this was the correct account that was used to setup the device, the device is listed in the account, and it even tells me BitLocker ON?

Regarding the other possibilities where BitLocker recovery keys may be found:

1. The hyperlinks Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online., aka.ms/recoverykey also don't work.
    2. This is a home computer, so the recovery key cannot be on Azure Active Directory services.
    3. Since BitLocker was activated by itself, there’s also no way the recovery key could be on a printout.
    4. I’ve already checked all my USB drives and no recovery key was present.

The data in my computer is valuable so I can't afford to format the disk.

Could someone help? Thanks.

Moved from: Outlook.com / Security, privacy, accounts / Other

***Original Title: BitLocker locked my drive by itself after failed automatic repair and recovery key is missing***

clarethepear, Nov 4, 2020
Thema:

Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key.

1. Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key. - Similar Threads - Automatic repair failing

2. Lost bitlocker recovery key.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost bitlocker recovery key.: Hello, for the past 24 hours ive been struggling to get into my Flash Drive. I enter the password that worked last time and it says its incorrect, I go to the recovery option but it appears i have lost my recovery key. Is there anything i can do? The information on the flash...
  3. Lost bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost bitlocker recovery key: I have lost my bitlocker recovery key and tried following the recovery steps. I have also searched and tried following the command prompts suggested but none have worked....
  4. Lost bitlocker recovery key

Lost bitlocker recovery key: I have lost my bitlocker recovery key and tried following the recovery steps. I have also searched and tried following the command prompts suggested but none have worked....
  5. Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs: I did a antivirus scan and set it to restart after it finished. And ever since then, my Asus rog strix g15 laptop has been stuck in this loop of auto repairs. Ive tried a lot of different things but none have seem to work. I don't hav a restore point so it wont let me do that...
  6. Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs

Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs: I did a antivirus scan and set it to restart after it finished. And ever since then, my Asus rog strix g15 laptop has been stuck in this loop of auto repairs. Ive tried a lot of different things but none have seem to work. I don't hav a restore point so it wont let me do that...
  7. Lost bitlocker recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lost bitlocker recovery key: Bitlocker got activated when i updated my windows. Unfortunatley, I don't have access anymore to the email i used to register to my microsoft account. I updated my security info for alternate email but it will take 30 days. The computer was already reformatted and the files...
  8. Bitlock Recovery Key lost

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlock Recovery Key lost: My company has no record of the Bitlock recovery key for my laptop. How can i retrieve it? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlock-recovery-key-lost/d4299668-3b66-4748-8426-3b57370e7bda
  9. Lost BitLocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost BitLocker recovery key: I encrypted my laptop with BitLocker. Unfortunately, I lost the Bitlocker recovery key. Is there any way to find the key recovery key? I know the recovery key ID! Thank you!...
  10. Lost Bitlocker Recovery Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost Bitlocker Recovery Key: My sons school tablet/laptop is bit locker locked and we can't find the recovery key. We've tried using the link on the Microsoft website to do a recovery but it says that no key is found. Tried the call center and the lady on the line says I need to take it to a Microsoft...