Windows 10: Automatic repair infinite loop after a Windows 10 update

Discus and support Automatic repair infinite loop after a Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good day! This is very urgent, since the new coronavirus outbreak happened, it is forbidden in my country to go to school, hence we, the students, have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zalán Rácsai, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Automatic repair infinite loop after a Windows 10 update

Good day!
    This is very urgent, since the new coronavirus outbreak happened, it is forbidden in my country to go to school, hence we, the students, have to work from home. This is all fine, but my PC won't start in anything other than Safe Mode since a recent update. The thing is, I have to use other programs on my computer to do my 'homework'.
    The story goes, on the 17th of March, 2020, I used my PC fine. Everything was okay, all the programs were able to run, I experienced no sign of slowing. Around 5 PM I went off from home, and did not use my computer that day. When I shut it off, I saw the option "update and shut down" or whatever the exact name of it in English, I'm sorry if it isn't, my computer's language is not English in the start menu. Since there was no option to shut down without updating which is unfortunate, because this is NOT the first time this happens to me I pressed it and left.
    The next day I startud up my PC and all I saw was an infinite loop of automatic/startup repair. Now, as I have stated earlier, this wasn't the first time, so I immidately started doing the things that I thought would work. I have been trying since then, and could only start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking allowed. Note: when I write 'Safe Mode' it means 'Safe Mode with Network allowed'.
    I tried so far:
    - Restoring the system to a earlier successful startup date - as far as I'm concerned after big updates, all the configs will be deleted, and it seems this happened in this case, since there are no possible dates to restart from.
    - Try to use command prompt with the 'fixboot' command - I looked up what can I do, and thought this might work. There were other commands coming with it, tried to do it, but after typing 'fixboot' it says something along the lines of 'access denied' again, my computer's language is not English but Hungarian, so sorry for any typos, including this one
    - find the source of the problem in the strTrail.txt file, and it said there is one problem, but it never showed me what it is, neither did it show the error code. It just said 'Error code: 0x0'.
    - For a few hours, the PC wouldn't start Safe Mode. After a while, it did, and I was able to determine the aprroximate origin of the problem. Using multiple methods, I found that there is a corrupted file during the startup. I don't know exactly which one, but that narrowed down the search.
    - Today I tried a program called Restoro, which said that the file 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ShadowPlay' was corrupted. This is interesting, since - as far as I am concerned - ShadowPlay is an NVidia video card thing, and I am using an AMD video card. So I tried to do a little bit of modifying with the file, namely I removed the part which said it would start on exit - after, of course, creating a backup of it. I restarted my computer, and nothing happened, so I copied the backup to its original place, to keep things intact.
    - I also tried to use the Settings>Windows Update menu to repair the update manually. Now as it turns out, you can't do that from Safe Mode, so I tried to do a Clean Boot. Which also got me to the automatic repair screen, so I returned to Safe Mode.
    - I started the Windows Update Troubleshoot which determined that there is a problem with the update: 'There are system modifications which require a restart. You have to restart the computer, then try to use Windows Update again.'. I tried to reboot my computer, and it took me to the automatic repair tool after failing to boot 3 times in a row. And since I can't run Windows Update in Safe Mode, I gave up, and went back to Safe Mode again.
    - I tried to run a manual Windows Update using the Command Prompt, but after typing in 'net stop wuauserv' or whatever the right command is, I typed it in right in practice it said something like 'The update didn't stop'. After typing in 'net start wuauserv' it said 'you cannot run an update from Safe Mode'. System Error Code: 1084. What I tried to do was stopping the automatic updates manually, then deleting cache files which I did anyways in my frustration, it may have been a mistake, the starting the update again. It SHOULD work, but then again, one cannot run Updates from Safe Mode. Or please, if I can, tell me how. Because I might be going insane.
    The only thing I haven't tried yet is booting the PC from a Disc or USB containing Windows 10 and then do the update again. But now, even though I'm certain that the problem is with the update, I'm not sure that this solution would work. Oh, and the reason I haven't tried it yet, is because I don't have a CD/DVD driver in my computer right now, my brother on the other hand does have, only he's rarely home - he has some serious work to do. So the question is... Literally, anybody has any solution other than resetting the entire 1TB data of my PC? Anything that could help would be appreciated. I cannot think of anything else, and would really like to be able to use my computer again.
    Thank you very much in advance,

Zalán Rácsai

:)

Zalán Rácsai, Mar 19, 2020
  2. JohnC Win User

Infinite loop of startup repair

Welcome to Ten Forums, Goonsoon. If your windows 10 is activated you can clean install it and it will automatically activate again. You may want to consider that if the situation is an infinite loop of startup repair. This is from the tutorial forum. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html . Just follow the steps, sometimes the only thing to do is start over.

JohnC, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Goonsoon Win User
    Infinite loop of startup repair

When i start over do i do it on a seperate computer and install the os to usb a connect it to the Infinte loop pc?

Goonsoon, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Automatic repair infinite loop after a Windows 10 update

windows 10 automatic repair infinite loop

I am very dissapointed upgrading to Windows 10.

First of all we can't turn off windows defender permanently. This problem is not so disturbing

But as my ups gone then windows started an infinite loop of automatic repair.

if you have any solutions please provide

By the way i have downgraded to Windows 7 again.

BharatHasija, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

Automatic repair infinite loop after a Windows 10 update

1. Automatic repair infinite loop after a Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Automatic repair infinite

2. Automatic Repair / Infinite Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Repair / Infinite Boot Loop: Hello,I currently have a problem with a laptop having Windows 8.1. It tries to boot, but after loading for a bit it shows a error : , which disappears too fast to be able to read. Afterwards it goes automatically into the repair troubleshoot mode and then just goes into a...
  3. Automatic Repair / Infinite Boot Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Repair / Infinite Boot Loop: Hello,I currently have a problem with a laptop having Windows 8.1. It tries to boot, but after loading for a bit it shows a error : , which disappears too fast to be able to read. Afterwards it goes automatically into the repair troubleshoot mode and then just goes into a...
  4. Stuck in an infinite automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in an infinite automatic repair loop: My PC is stuck in an infinite automatic repair loop and I want to reset the PC but I don't remember the password.It doesn't have any other accounts registered except adminI've tried every possible password I could think of but it still doesn't work.Your help would mean a lot...
  5. Stuck in an infinite automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck in an infinite automatic repair loop: My PC is stuck in an infinite automatic repair loop and I want to reset the PC but I don't remember the password.It doesn't have any other accounts registered except adminI've tried every possible password I could think of but it still doesn't work.Your help would mean a lot...
  6. Stuck on Automatic Repair Infinite Loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck on Automatic Repair Infinite Loop: I've tried everything, even resetarting the pc entirely. But it always results in the same way. It failed to do so, and I'm really just out of ideas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-on-automatic-repair-infinite-loop/49fd1ac8-4c2b-42e7-93f4-4c98beb69369
  7. Stuck in infinite automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in infinite automatic repair loop: Hi, my Windows is stuck in an automatic repair loop for some days now and I can't get out of it. I have tried the autorepair tool, starting it in safe mode and repairing it with the Windows USB stick but that all didn't work. I also tried to restore it to a restore point but...
  8. Infinite automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Infinite automatic repair loop: I got the error critical process died after I turned on my windows 10 pc after only two days. I have not recently installed anything new nor updated my windows voluntarily. I have looked through the forums for a few hours now and tried everything that was said to work but had...
  9. Infinite loop of "Preparing Automatic repair"

Infinite loop of "Preparing Automatic repair": Hey so some stupid thing happened. I turned off my computer two days ago and when I went to it back on my computer would load and then go into "preparing automatic repair". After that it would continue into a black screen for the next hour and then eventually blue screen and...
  10. "Preparing Automatic Repair" infinite loop

"Preparing Automatic Repair" infinite loop: Hi all, I fresh installed Windows 10x64 in my new laptop. It was working flawlessly. The main drive is a Samsung EVO 960 Nvme. All I did was temporarily replace it with another SSD (I had to test it), and then reinstalled the EVO. Upon reinstalling it each time I power the...