Windows 10: Automatic repair loop

Discus and support Automatic repair loop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, posting here as a last resort because I've spent 2 whole evenings after work trying to sort this out and the problem just keeps getting worse. I'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Shafski, May 11, 2017.

1. Shafski Win User

Automatic repair loop

Hi, posting here as a last resort because I've spent 2 whole evenings after work trying to sort this out and the problem just keeps getting worse. I'll explain how it started off and my basic history.

So I had a HDD with two drives partitioned as windows 7 and windows 10, the latter of which I use, the former of which I kept after upgrading as a dual boot incase I ever wanted to go back. They were E:\ and C:\ drive respectively.

So 2 days ago I bought an SSD for increased performance. Now migrating files from the windows 10 was a problem because the SSD was 250gb and I had about 600GB worth of files on C:\. So genius me (or so I thought at the time) decided I'd play resize the C:\ and E:\ partitions and move things over to free up space so I could migrate straight over without having to buy an extra HDD to move the files or delete things.

I ran into a few mishaps because the unallocated space shown was less than what was supposed to be, and searching prompted me to run a chkdsk through right click drive > properties > error checking.

I did this, and computer restarted to fix errors and I had to rush out which I thought would be fine whilst I let it process.

However, on return I had a blue screen saying windows could not be fixed, and this was my first encounter with the Automatic start-up repair.

Since then, I have tried several solutions as listed below, through the cmd prompt

-bootrec rebuilding / FIXMBR / FIXBOOT
    -chkdsk /r DRIVE:
    -bootable usb with win 10 iso and ran repair from there with same commands
    -diskpart reassigning volume letters as I noticed my e drive had become d
    -I also set the e:\ through some guide suggestion as Active
    -reset computer but keep files; this didn't let me and said it was unable to

I'm lost for options, hungry and stressed. I need help.. I'm even willing to pay!

After all that I did also buy a 1TB HDD in case.

Also, my windows 7 partition did work still but amongst the midst of it now that leads to a temporary login user profile when I load it, which doesn't load any drivers including internet, and doesn't even let me open anything including my computer

I really can't lose my files as I have literally my life on there.

Would reaaallllyyy appreciate any suggestions/help

:)

Shafski, May 11, 2017
  2. Remon Ont Win User

Windows 10 is stuck in Automatic Repair loop

Hi Robert,

Automatic Repair loop is a feature designed to help you fix some PC issues in Windows. It might fail to work sometimes and stuck in a startup repair loop in Windows 10.

The two most common cases of the Windows Automatic Repair loop issue are:

1. Windows Automatic Repair stuck on a black screen with "Preparing Automatic Repair" error message.

2. Windows Automatic Repair failed and said, "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC".

We suggest that you try the solutions provided by community experts on this
    link
    and let us know how it goes.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, May 11, 2017
  3. Automatic Repair Loop

Hi,

Unsuccessful installation of an update could be a possible cause why you are experiencing the automatic repair loop. To address this concern, we suggest running the Startup Repair tool using your bootable USB. This tool can scan and repair damaged system
    files. Follow these steps to run the Startup Repair tool:

• Insert the bootable USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
    • In the Windows Setup page, select the language to install, Time and currency format and the keyboard or input method and click on Next.
    • Click on Repair your computer and select Troubleshoot.
    • Click on Advanced options and select Automatic Repair and select the operating system. You might also require changing the boot priority in BIOS in order to allow the computer to boot from CD/DVD.

Important: While scanning the hard drive if any bad sectors are found, the scanner tries to repair that sector, any data available on that might be lost.

Note: Modifying BIOS settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications
    of the settings are at your own risk.

Keep us updated about the result.

Darleen Pen, May 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Automatic repair loop

Hello, there are various threads where people have cloned a disk and found their PC won't boot such as
    Cloned drive will not boot Solved - Windows 10 Forums
    https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/24984-windows-10-clone-ssd-will-not-boot.html

Did you clone your disk? How did you create what's on your SSD?

AHCI - better performance for SSDs
    If your BIOS supports AHCI, by far the easiest way to make use of that is to clean install with AHCI enabled. It is difficult otherwise.

Your data
    From the sound of it you don't have backups, yet you are undertaking a major task.

I would strongly suggest your priority is to back up important data before anything else, as a priority.

We strongly and repeatedly recommend disk imaging both for system recovery and one form of complete backup. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk and external medium for images.

I suggest using that you image the disks.

As your PC may not boot properly, you can download and use Kyhi's boot disk (top of the Software and Apps section here and referred to in the first link). There's a copy of Macrium on that.

A (much) better way to move 'C:' from one disk to another
    1. Check space constraints and ensure everything will fit.
    2. Create a disk image of your Windows partition
    3. Install Win 10 on your new disk
    4. Replace the new Windows partition by restoring your disk image to it
    5. Run Startup repair by booting from a Windows bootable disk.

You might consider doing that, as it also allows you to then use AHCI if available.

dalchina, May 11, 2017
  5. Shafski Win User
    Hi, oh no sorry I haven't even attempted to migrate to the SSD or caused any interaction with it other than hooking it up. This is purely problems with my HDD but stemed from buying an SSD which prompted me to do this ahead of setting it up.

Thank you a lot for the reply

Shafski, May 11, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, try Macrium Reflect's FIXBOOT utility.

Download Macrium Reflect (free); create its boot disk.

It includes a very useful Fixboot utility, which you can try running.
    Fix Boot Problems
    v5: How to fix Windows boot problems (Restore, Windows PE)

You may also wish to run a check on your disk.
    For that you could use Kyhi's boot disk which includes HDTune, from the top of the Software and Apps section here. It also includes Macrium R.

dalchina, May 11, 2017
  7. Shafski Win User
    Okay, And this is an alternate to the windows 10 official repair that will work for my windows 10 yes? Sorry it's just because my bootable USB contains the win 10 iso for repair so it will involve taking that off when I get home, and putting what you linked, which I'll do if it's going to function for it.

(At work currently)

Shafski, May 11, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Automatic repair loop

It's a pretty comprehensive one by a highly reputable company- most regular contributors here use Macrium Reflect to create disk images- which let you
    a. back up everything in a disk/partition
    b. let you recover your PC even if your disk fails.

Fixboot is quite regularly recommended in threads. Just search the forum. There's nothing magic about it- obviously it uses Windows tools, but in combination.

Will it work in your case? Well, sorry, my crystal ball's down for scheduled maintenance.

You can put Macrium R's boot disk on a CD or a small flash drive.

If you don't use disk imaging, I'll recommend that now- and Macrium's boot disk is useful if your PC is unbootable to restore the images too.

It's useful to have some bootable tools:
    A current Windows disk
    Macrium
    A partition manager
    Kyhi's boot disk (from the top of the Software and Apps section) - which includes a copy of Macrium R

dalchina, May 11, 2017
  9. Shafski Win User
    Hey, I get these errors. Any idea on what to do?

Automatic repair loop [​IMG]

Shafski, May 11, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, go back a step and check your disk.

You can do that using Kyhi's boot disk, which has HDTune on it; I also recommend Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) which you can download as a portable program.

dalchina, May 11, 2017
  11. Shafski Win User
    Hi what else can I do with Hard Disk Sentinel relevant for my situation? I have the trial version but it only shows the status of my drives (healthy) and trying to run any scans says it need sactivation.

Im burning iso for kyhis boot disk currently and will give the hdtunes on it a shot.

Thank you so much again for your help.

Shafski, May 12, 2017
  12. Shafski Win User
    HDtune error scan revealed no abnormalities.

Shafski, May 12, 2017
  13. Shafski Win User

Automatic repair loop

Also if I run the bcdedit on there I get this.

Shafski, May 12, 2017
  14. Shafski Win User
    Hi I managed to play around with some stuff and got it to work and it did all the functions on medium without any crosses. However, when I rebooted I got the blue screen again that days problem with the boot

Shafski, May 12, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I understand you've effectively got Fixboot to work so the boot sector etc should be ok.

Can you post a screenshot of your disk partitions? (Should be a partition manager on Kyhi's disk).

And try Startup Repair from a Win 10 boot medium and post the result.

What does BCDEDIT show? (Mine's UEFI - is yours legacy BIOS?)

dalchina, May 12, 2017
Thema:

Automatic repair loop

1. Automatic repair loop - Similar Threads - Automatic repair loop

2. Automatic Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Repair Loop: When I turn my laptop on it says "Preparing Automatic Repair" and goes black. Then it turns off. I've looked for some solutions but none match my problem. Thank you : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-repair-loop/83cc9400-b3a9-4b51-a99c-f0510ad80dff
  3. Automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic repair loop: I upgraded the ram and the hard drive on my HP15 notebook, which is running the latest Windows 10 version. When I used the media creation tool to reinstall the os it got stuck in the automatic repair loop. I have tried everything I could find online to fix it but nothing...
  4. Automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic repair loop: I upgraded the ram and the hard drive on my HP15 notebook, which is running the latest Windows 10 version. When I used the media creation tool to reinstall the os it got stuck in the automatic repair loop. I have tried everything I could find online to fix it but nothing...
  5. Automatic repair loop

Automatic repair loop: Every time i open my laptop it automatically show preapiring automatic repair.. diagnosis your pc.And when u llok my c drive directory it shows just 1 file and when i look system image recovery windows c is free.....i dont have admin...pla help me asap my classes starting...
  6. Automatic Repair Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic Repair Loop: Hi, I'm currently experiencing this automatic repair loop, I already tried restarting and watched videos of how to fix it but none of them works, I stumbled upon a video where you use command prompt but in my case, I couldn't use it because it needs me to sigj in, I forgot to...
  7. Automatic Repair Loop

Automatic Repair Loop: One day, when i went to turn on my laptop, it went into an automatic repair. I tried every type os solution i could find on google but nothing works. It either says it can not perform this action, or says it encountered some problems, “now restarting”, but it does not...
  8. Automatic Repair Loop.

Automatic Repair Loop.: Hello. I have a new HP laptop , I didnt do anything wrong and now it just doesn't stop with this super super annoying automatic repair loop. I have important things to deliver and this is the only way possible. I would appreciate some help on how to get rid of this. I'm...
  9. Automatic Repair Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Automatic Repair Loop: Can someone please help me. My laptop is stuck in automatic repair loop. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Windows 10. It was working alright this morning until I turn it off then tryed to turn it back on. It was really slow starting up and when it did a message come up...
  10. Automatic Repair Loop

in Windows 10 Support
    Automatic Repair Loop: Have an existing W-10 Home on a Dell 660 Desktop. It keeps starting with the Automatic Repair that goes to the "Diagnosing your PC" to the "Pc did not start correctly". Going to "Advanced" and "Troubleshooting" I first tried to "Reset". Went thru the motions then "Could not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. macrium reflect fix automatic repair loop