Windows 10: automatically close out the command prompt window

Discus and support automatically close out the command prompt window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I managed to create an Elevated cmd thing for my HideDropbox.bat file and got it to run at startup. It works fine, but it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoshuaVL1988, Jul 11, 2017.

1. automatically close out the command prompt window

Hello,

I managed to create an Elevated cmd thing for my HideDropbox.bat file and got it to run at startup. It works fine, but it doesn't automatically close out the command prompt window when it's done applying the changes. Is there a way to make it do so. And if not, is there a way to make it run in the background so I won't have to keep manually closing the command prompt window?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in tbh. I asked here because it deals with a HideDropbox.bat file that I managed to get to run at startup via an Elevated Command Prompt window.

:)

JoshuaVL1988, Jul 11, 2017
  2. MaXi32 Win User

Command prompt bug: Command prompt window hidden and never come back except relaunch

Your problem is different with mine. Did you manually run the command prompt and then it just disappeared ?

MaXi32, Jul 11, 2017
  3. CrissieH Win User
    Command prompt bug: Command prompt window hidden and never come back except relaunch

I'm also having an issue with command prompt. I just upgraded to 10 today. The command prompt keeps appearing and disappearing very quickly. So fast I can't even see what it says, if anything. It's almost a blip, every few seconds. It's knocking me out of
    the WoW screen, which is very annoying. I hope you fix it very quickly, as it's taking time away from games I pay for monthly automatically close out the command prompt window :(

It's never done this before the upgrade.

CrissieH, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

automatically close out the command prompt window

Try adding exit to end of you bat file.

Eagle51, Jul 11, 2017
  5. That worked when running the .bat file but the .bat file is being run via an elevated command prompt and it doesn't close the command prompt window unfortunately.

---EDIT---

Scratch that, got it to work that way. I just had to edit the task in task scheduler to run the .bat file directly instead of through cmd.exe and it still kept the elevated permissions. So the having exit at the end of the line in the .bat file works perfectly now. Thanks. *Biggrin

JoshuaVL1988, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

automatically close out the command prompt window

1. automatically close out the command prompt window - Similar Threads - automatically close command

2. Command Prompt Opening Then Closing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command Prompt Opening Then Closing: At the moment I have a problem with my HP laptop. I am running Windows 11 and every 1 minute or so I am not certain if it is a regular time a blank command prompt will open under the system32 directory. There would be no text within the prompt and the title would be the...
  3. [urgent] Command Prompt and Powershell automatically closes itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [urgent] Command Prompt and Powershell automatically closes itself: this is a critical response when I open Command Prompt and Powershell it automatically closes itself i need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/urgent-command-prompt-and-powershell-automatically/28fb053f-83f0-4ece-bd6c-72786901d264
  4. [urgent] Command Prompt and Powershell automatically closes itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [urgent] Command Prompt and Powershell automatically closes itself: this is a critical response when I open Command Prompt and Powershell it automatically closes itself i need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/urgent-command-prompt-and-powershell-automatically/28fb053f-83f0-4ece-bd6c-72786901d264
  5. [urgent] Command Prompt and Powershell automatically closes itself

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Automatic Repair Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic Repair Command Prompt: I am trying to repair my computer in Automatic Repair on Windows 10. However, when I try to run command prompt in this mode it insists I need an administrator account, which i do not have and was actually going to create with command prompt. How do I work around this?...
  7. windows command prompt automatically starts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows command prompt automatically starts: windows command prompt automatically starting and then automatically stopping https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-command-prompt-automatically-starts/037933a7-4973-48cf-bead-3d3a17e5d7f0
  8. Command Prompt closing immediately.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt closing immediately.: When I startup and application which requires the command prompt to function I run the application as administrator and then the command prompt just flashes and nothing else happens, I need help....
  9. Command Prompt closing by itself

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command Prompt closing by itself: While i try to access Command Prompt, it opens in full sice for less than half of a second, then chages into very small size (viz. picture) near upper left corner of a screen and after cca half a second closes completly. picture I also noticed the command prompt appears for...
  10. Command Prompt Won't Close

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Won't Close: Ok, so on my Dell Latitude E6520 laptop, I can open command prompt (Normal and Admin), but can not close any of the CMD windows I open unless I go through the Task Manager and shut them down. I do not have that issue on my desktop, which is also running Windows 10 Pro. Is...