Windows 10: automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app

Discus and support automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; my system used to do this but doesn't now for some reason; the photo app just imports all files to pictures\. I can't find the setting to create a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by egidda, Feb 9, 2021.

1. egidda Win User

automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app

my system used to do this but doesn't now for some reason; the photo app just imports all files to pictures\. I can't find the setting to create a subfolder on import. Can anyone help?

:)

egidda, Feb 9, 2021
  2. KX4SAM Win User

Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE

Window 7 importer set folder names by year, month and date. Photo app will not, or

How can I change it so that it will use data

KX4SAM, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Viewing photos by month & year

I have just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and wondered if anyone can help me with a query please ?

In Windows 7 I had all my photos of the grandchildren in one folder called 'Freddie & Anna' that was set up as follows:

• There were no sub folders for months/years within the 'Freddie & Anna' folder.
    • When I clicked on the folder 'Freddie & Anna' the system displayed month & year 'icons' so that I could select the photos I wanted to view by clicking on the appropriate month & year 'icon'.
    • If my memory is correct I did this by using 'Arrange by' within the 'Freddie & Anna' folder.

I have set up the following folder structure in Windows 10:

and all the photos of my grandchildren are in the folder 'Freddie & Anna'.

There are no sub folders for months/years within the 'Freddie & Anna' folder.

When I click on the folder 'Freddie & Anna' I want my system to do what it did in Windows 7 and display the month & year icons but it does what I don't want and displays all the photos and groups them under the headings 'Earlier This Week', 'Last Week', 'Earlier This Month', Earlier This Year', and 'A Long Time Ago'. The system does this very slowly.

In Windows 7 the system was pretty quick to display the month & year 'icons' and then to display the appropriate photos if I clicked on one of the month & year 'icons'.

I would like to set up my folders/photos in Windows 10 so they are displayed as my system did in Windows 7.

Can anyone help me to do this please?

Steve Dean, Feb 9, 2021
  4. shobansen Win User

automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app

Photos App

Last night I imported some video clips from my JVC camcorder to my desktop PC using the App called Photos. I did not specify any folder to download the files to. After a minute or so I got the notification that the files have been imported successfully. Then when I looked for the files I could not find them ANYWHERE in my PC. I checked the Pictures folder, Video folder, Download folder, Documents folder, everywhere. I even checked OneDrive. I also searched in Photos' Last Import folder. The imported video files were not to be found anywhere, though I knew they have to be somewhere in my computer!

This morning, Google Photos came to my rescue. I discovered the App called Backup and Sync duly backed up my video files.

My question is where does Photos save the imported files? I use Photos regularly to import photos from my camera and I always find them in my Pictures folder. This is the first time I used Photos to import video files from my camcorder (please note I DO NOT use smartphone to take photos and videos). Next time, I will try to specify the folder where I would like to import my videos - I hope Photos gives that option

Please tell me where to look for the video files I imported last night. Also, I forgot to mention I did search within Photos the Last Import folder and also used 'Search' by Date (month and year). Nothing was found. Holy Mystery!!!

Of course, I am using Windows 10 with all the automatic updates.

shobansen, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

1. automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app - Similar Threads - automatically create folder

2. Photos App .. Importing by date/month?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App .. Importing by date/month?: Just opened an updated photos app win 11 and am lost as to why or how to get the pictures sorted by date or month at least. The old one auto sectioned the photos on Import which made it easier when backing up....
  3. Photos App .. Importing by date/month?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos App .. Importing by date/month?: Just opened an updated photos app win 11 and am lost as to why or how to get the pictures sorted by date or month at least. The old one auto sectioned the photos on Import which made it easier when backing up....
  4. Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing

Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing: Microsoft needs to fix this and return the feature to create date folders as an option, it doesn't make sense to take this away from customers in a windows 10 upgrade very frustrating...
  5. Create Video in Photos App

Create Video in Photos App: When creating a Video in the Photos App, a file in the Pictures folder was created call Video Projects. It was easy for me to delete these files when disk space use became excessive. I recently installed the newest release of Windows 10 and the Video Projects folder is not...
  6. Import photos into month and year subdirectories

Import photos into month and year subdirectories: I have an iPhone that I sync with my desktop Windows 10 machine. I am having a problem when importing pictures. Previously, the photos went into subdirectories by year and month taken 2020-11, 2020-12 etc. This was all done automatically. I have been doing this for...
  7. Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing

Photos app won't auto create a folder when importing: I work as a photographer and up until now, when I would import my photos into the photo app, it would automatically create a folder titled with the date and place all the photos from that day in that file. Now, all of the sudden, it's not doing that and it's kind of ruining...
  8. Changing month and year in photos

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing month and year in photos: Can anyone give me simple instructions on how to change the month and year in photos for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-month-and-year-in-photos/507daef9-2fde-4cbf-90c8-607f12c8c977
  9. Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE

Photo app import settings, year, month and DATE: Window 7 importer set folder names by year, month and date. Photo app will not, or How can I change it so that it will use data 143228
  10. Photos App crashes when importing photos

Photos App crashes when importing photos: I recently got a new PC and when i am trying to import my photos from my Iphone Xs max, the app freezes to '3081 items found so far" and all i want are my photos on my pc. Can someone please help...