Windows 10: Automatically disconnecting a UNC Share when closing Windows session

Discus and support Automatically disconnecting a UNC Share when closing Windows session in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, Let's assume a PC accessing a UNC share (a NAS - \\MYNAS). The first time the NAS is accessed, the user must provide credentials for the share.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MainSoft, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MainSoft Win User

Automatically disconnecting a UNC Share when closing Windows session

Hi,

Let's assume a PC accessing a UNC share (a NAS - \\MYNAS). The first time the NAS is accessed, the user must provide credentials for the share. OK. Now, I want this UNC share to be automatically disconnected when the user logs off, so that he has to reconnect when opening the next Windows session. It seems that this was automatic under Windows 7 but Windows 10 appears to cache the credentials. For security reasons in my environment, I don't want this.

How can I force the disconnection of the UNC share whenever the user disconnects from Windows ?

Thanks in advance.

:)

MainSoft, Aug 16, 2018
  2. PhilPow Win User

Windows file share (UNC) document access via Windows Mobile 6

I have had success connecting to a UNC file share from Windows Mobile 6 by doing the following:

1. In Internet Explorer, enter the file share UNC name, e.g. \\myfileshare

A popup window should appear for your userid, password, and domain

2. Enter your userid and password

The File Explorer window should now open, showing the top-level share folders

One thing I have noted is that you can only navigate down in File Explorer on the share - if you try to navigate up, you get connection not found. But, you can always navigate back to the top level by jumping over the Internet Explorer to re-enter
    the UNC file share name.

-Phil

PhilPow, Aug 16, 2018
  3. mbratch Win User
    Samba Shares don't show up in Windows 10 Network

I have a peculiar Samba share issue.

I was running Windows 7 on my laptop. I have a file server running Linux and Samba. When I open the Network icon in Windows 7, I see my server there and I can open it and access the associated folder shares.

I upgraded to Windows 10. Now if I double click the network icon, I don't see any machines except my local client laptop. However, if I enter the UNC path to my samba server (\\myserver) into the path bar of Windows Explorer, I can access the server. If I want to add a network printer to my laptop that is shared by the server, it won't find the server in the search list. However, I can enter the literal UNC path to the printer and add it. So it has something to do with nmb I think? Not sure.

Any suggestions on how to resolve it?

mbratch, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Marco Gav Win User

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is unable to start automatically on boot?

Hi,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps that YanisLukes
    did to resolve the same issue.

To update your network adapter, you can follow these steps:

• Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select
      it from the list of results.

• Expand the category where your device is located, then right-click on the name of your device, and select Update Driver Software.

• Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the device manufacturer's website and follow their instructions.

If updating the device driver doesn't work, we suggest that you reinstall the driver: 

• Open Device Manager.

• Right-click on the name of the device.

• Select Uninstall. 

• Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided here:
    How to Troubleshoot Internet Connection Sharing Problems.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Automatically disconnecting a UNC Share when closing Windows session - Similar Threads - Automatically disconnecting UNC

2. Remote desktop session disconnections

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Remote desktop session disconnections: Hello to all.I have a problem with one of users of my RDS server.Client is Windows 10, server is Windows Server 2016Client works via openvpn connection At start of a work, he has multiple cases of remote desktop session disconnections mostly at first 1-2 hour of working,...
  3. new win10 pro install. when RDP session closed not disconnected, just X'd out it's...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    new win10 pro install. when RDP session closed not disconnected, just X'd out it's...: Had my C drive ssd die, so had to rebuild my headless fileserver.it's updated fully, latest patches, drivers, etcIt took me a bit to figure out what was going on, but it seems like even tho I've adjusted power settings to never sleep, nor power down, it's shutting down...
  4. new win10 pro install. when RDP session closed not disconnected, just X'd out it's...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    new win10 pro install. when RDP session closed not disconnected, just X'd out it's...: Had my C drive ssd die, so had to rebuild my headless fileserver.it's updated fully, latest patches, drivers, etcIt took me a bit to figure out what was going on, but it seems like even tho I've adjusted power settings to never sleep, nor power down, it's shutting down...
  5. new win10 pro install. when RDP session closed not disconnected, just X'd out it's...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Laptop Display doesn't disconnect automatically when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Display doesn't disconnect automatically when lid is closed: I have multiple monitors connected to my laptop. Recently I noticed that my laptop display is not getting removed / disconnected when I close the lid. In other words, if I have a window open on the laptop screen and close the lid, that window should move to one of the...
  7. Laptop Display doesn't disconnect automatically when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Display doesn't disconnect automatically when lid is closed: I have multiple monitors connected to my laptop. Recently I noticed that my laptop display is not getting removed / disconnected when I close the lid. In other words, if I have a window open on the laptop screen and close the lid, that window should move to one of the...
  8. The Remote Computer disconnected the session...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Remote Computer disconnected the session...: I'm trying to set up a new PC in my workplace. We use Remote Desktop to connect to our server, which is an ancient win2000 unit, but I've set up plenty of new Windows 10 machines throughout the office and never had this issue. Normally, I enter the address of the server and...
  9. Disconnecting a user from a windows session

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Disconnecting a user from a windows session: Greetings, I wanted to link a windows 10 session with the account of my son. I wanted this so that he could get all school-related docs anywhere with Onedrive, and so that I could control what he does with parental control. But I mistakingly linked two windows sessions with...
  10. Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session

in Windows 10 Customization
    Activate Screensaver when disconnecting from RDP session: Hello, I have my desktop at home setup so that I can use Windows Remote Desktop to remote into it and do work. When I'm done, I usually just close the RDP session window, leaving my computer at home logged in, but locked (because I have other server processes running). If...