Windows 10: Automatically Locking and Restarting

Discus and support Automatically Locking and Restarting in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After the October 2020 update, I have been having issues with my computer randomly locking and it is extremely annoying. I've done the research and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Pineapple14, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Automatically Locking and Restarting

After the October 2020 update, I have been having issues with my computer randomly locking and it is extremely annoying. I've done the research and checked a lot of different settings and there is no reason for it to be locking on its own. Recently, after doing updates it randomly restarts on top of randomly locking. I am an online college student and once I get back to school next week I have online finals and I can't have this happen because I will automatically get a zero if I leave the testing window.

Some stuff I have done is checked my screen saver, checked screen timeout, and more.

And helpful advice would help a lot.

Computer: Lenovo Ideapad 330s-15IKB Model: 81F5

* The updates this year made by windows are personally making me a little angry cause there is always something wrong with the updates and some are causing PCs to break. It needs to be addressed*

:)

Pineapple14, Nov 22, 2020
  2. little cat, Nov 22, 2020
  3. DaveToms Win User
    Broken security by bypassing lock screen on restart

Question:

Why does Windows bypass the lock screen when it restarts after a Windows update? I consider this a security design flaw. If a maintenance crew came by my home while I'm at work to do some home renovation upgrades but they left the
    front door unlocked when they finished, when I got home I'd wonder what on Earth they were thinking. I hope I've just missed a setting somewhere to disable this.

Three things I accept:

1. Locking my computer to protect my privacy.

2. Windows restarting after an update.

3. Windows automatically updating, which is frustrating but acceptable.

But I don't accept Windows bypassing the lock screen after an update.

Precondition:

Windows 10 is set up to require a password at sign in, both on startup and on the lock screen.

Steps to reproduce:

Step 1: Lock the computer.

Step 2: Leave the room.

Step 3: Wait for Windows to perform an automatic system update.

Step 4: Windows restarts automatically.

Problem 1: Windows bypasses the lock screen, instead signing in and showing the desktop.

Problem 2: Come home and book a doctor's appointment to deal with the stress of seeing my computer unlocked.

It's my first post in the community so suggestions about posting etiquette are welcome.

DaveToms, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Automatically Locking and Restarting

Automatic Restart

We appreciate your response. We suggest that you turn on the automatic restart using command prompt. However, you need to access the
    Startup settings. On some Windows 10 computer, pressing
    F11
    once a computer boots up will bring the System Recovery menu. We suggest that you check if it's the same on your computer. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Turn on your computer, then press F11 simultaneously.
    • If a blue screen with Choose an option shows up, click on
      Troubleshoot
    • Look for Advanced options, then click on Command Prompt.
    • On the command prompt, type this in "wmic RecoverOS set AutoReboot = True".
    • Once done, click the "X" at the top right of the screen.

Restart your computer and see if the issue persists.

We would appreciate it if you'd provide a screenshot of the command prompt.

We're looking forward to your feedback.

Carlos Tin, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Automatically Locking and Restarting

1. Automatically Locking and Restarting - Similar Threads - Automatically Locking Restarting

2. Automatic restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic restart: I was just minding my own business in school doing a test but all of the sudden the screen started lagging. It wasn’t your normal fps lag. It repeated a single frame multiple times until it just went black. My computer restarted atomically and it was all fine. I checked task...
  3. automatically restart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    automatically restart: My laptop automatically shutdown and restart which continuously i can't do anything even i didn't attend the interview due to this error someone helpme https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatically-restart/10706f25-911b-472e-9030-0f90e1c404fc
  4. Automatically locks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatically locks: Im on laptop,while gaming my screen says “locking” and my laptop goes to sleep.....it has been happening for months now and it’s really annoying,help please EVERYTHING IS SET TO ‘NEVER’ so there is now way its due to my display settings. submitted by /u/Rishi44 [link]...
  5. automatic restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    automatic restart: Hi, my laptop gets an blue screen error and a stop code, restarts. installed windows: windows 10 pro - version 1903 OS Build 18362, 778 stop code: SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION computer name: DESKTOP-L8LB71M Dell...
  6. Automatic restart

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Automatic restart: my PC shows blue screen frequently mentioning that it needs to restart. how can i solve this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/automatic-restart/a84c6cc4-3868-4281-997f-f016d975987a
  7. Automatic restarts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic restarts: My brother's pc has 1803 and got a notification for restarting to upgrade to 1903. That's cool and all, but it doesn't restart automatically some days later. The "update and restart" button is a separate button. Does it keep waiting for you to manually restart or will it...
  8. Automatic restarts

Automatic restarts: I bought a new Lenova IdeaCentre January 2019 and it worked great for about 3 weeks, then for some reason it would automatically restart when I would close my browser, and occasionally out of the clear blue while doing browsing, facebooking or just doing anything in general....
  9. automatic restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    automatic restart: Hello, How to stop windows from automatic restart? I lost my experiments that was running for days because of this issue, and I have to repeat everything again. It seems technology is getting smarter except windows, I wonder why? Best, Hamzah...
  10. Automatically Restart.

Automatically Restart.: My computer sometimes says that it will restart automatically in one minute. This is annoying, some days it happens only one time but then others it happens every time. Please help....