Windows 10: Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

Discus and support Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Sometimes when I download a new file or archive from the internet, it has the Read Only attribute set either on the file/archive itself, or on files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by breadfan85, Sep 25, 2022.

1. Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

Sometimes when I download a new file or archive from the internet, it has the Read Only attribute set either on the file/archive itself, or on files within the archive probably was set by the person who uploaded it, or was automatically set if it came from another operating system besides Windows 10. This can cause the program I use to access the file to throw an "access denied" error. I know how to clear the attribute manually, but I'd like to know if there's a way to remove the attribute automatically for all files when I download them, and/or when they are unpacked. If not, then could the

:)

breadfan85, Sep 25, 2022
  2. Marie Ave Win User

Remove read only from files

Hi,

Read-only is a file attribute, or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. Files can be only opened or read with this attribute active. You cannot delete, change, or rename any file that’s been flagged as read-only.

To change the read-only attribute, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the file or folder icon that you wanted to modify.

• Remove the check mark by the Read-Only item in the file’s
      Properties
      dialog box.

The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.

• Click Apply then OK.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, Sep 25, 2022
  3. How to remove Read Only attribute from Files and Folders?

Old title: Read Only

Hello Charles,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let us know few things to assist you better in this regard.

Are you concerned about removing Read Only Attribute from Files/Folders option?

Are you referring to the error Read Only while accessing files/folders?

Do you have any problem in unchecking Read Only option?

Windows Explorer uses the Read-Only attribute to determine whether or not the folder is customized. However you can't remove the attribute permanently from the Files/Folder options. Instead you can make changes accordingly if you're getting Read only error
    while accessing files or folders.

• Open the properties of the main
      User Profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc.). You can open the properties of a particular folder by
      Right-clicking on it and select Properties from context menu.

• Go to the Security tab and click
      Advanced.

• Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click
      Ok.

Keep us posted for any concerns with windows, we're glad to assist you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Sep 25, 2022
  4. Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

Read Only Attribute in Win 10

Hi Alexandru,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

You may experience any of the following symptoms:

• You cannot view or change the Read-only or System attributes of a folder by using the
      Properties dialog box for the folder. For example, you may experience the following symptoms:
      • When you view the General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box, the
        Read-only check box is not available, and there is no check box to change the System attribute.
      • You click to clear or click to select the Read-only check box on the
        General tab of a folder's Properties dialog box. When you click
        OK or Apply, you receive the following message:
        Confirm Attribute Changes

You have chosen to make the following attribute changes:

unset read-only

Do you want to apply this change to this folder only, or do you want to apply it to all subfolders and files as well?
        If you click Apply changes to this folder only, the Read-only attribute is changed for all the files in the folder. However, the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder, its subfolders, or any files in its subfolders. If you click
        Apply changes to this folder, subfolders, and files, the Read-only attribute is changed for all files in the folder and all files in the subfolders. However, the Read-only attribute is not changed for the folder or its subfolders.
    • Some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to a folder that uses the Read-only or System attribute. As a result, these programs may not be able to save files to the folder.
    To work around this problem, use the Attrib command at a command prompt (Cmd.exe) to view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders. To view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders
    Warning If you remove the Read-only or System attribute from a folder, it may appear as a ordinary folder and some customizations may be lost. For example, Windows customizes the Fonts folder and provides a special folder view that permits you
    to hide variations, such as bold and italic. It also permits you to change the folder's view settings in ways that are specific to fonts. If you remove the Read-only and System attributes of the Fonts folder, these customized view settings are not available.
    For folders that you have customized by using the Customize tab of the folder's
    Properties dialog box, the folder icon and other other customizations may be lost when you remove the Read-only attribute.

If a program cannot save files to a folder with the Read-only attribute, such as My Documents, change the Read-only attribute to System by using the Attrib command at a command prompt.

Note If the Run command is not listed on the
    Start menu, do the following: Click Start, click
    All Programs, click Accessories, and then click
    Run.

To remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute, use the following command:

attrib -r +s drive:\<path>\<foldername>
    For example, to remove the Read-only attribute and to set the System attribute for the C:\Test folder, use the following command:
    attrib -r +s c:\test
    Be aware that some programs may not operate correctly with folders for which the System attribute and the Read-only attribute are set. Therefore, use the following command to remove these attributes:
    attrib -r -s c:\test

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Sep 25, 2022
Thema:

Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

1. Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files? - Similar Threads - Automatically remove Read

2. File attributes for user account persistently on read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File attributes for user account persistently on read only: I think I have just started having this problem two days ago. I wasn't able to save on my C drive in the documents folder and thought reinstalling stuff will work. Now I see that everything in the User directory has been set to read only. I tried deselecting the option but...
  3. File attributes for user account persistently on read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File attributes for user account persistently on read only: I think I have just started having this problem two days ago. I wasn't able to save on my C drive in the documents folder and thought reinstalling stuff will work. Now I see that everything in the User directory has been set to read only. I tried deselecting the option but...
  4. Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?: Sometimes when I download a new file or archive from the internet, it has the Read Only attribute set either on the file/archive itself, or on files within the archive probably was set by the person who uploaded it, or was automatically set if it came from another operating...
  5. Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?

Automatically remove Read Only attribute for new files?: Sometimes when I download a new file or archive from the internet, it has the Read Only attribute set probably was set by the person who uploaded it, or was automatically set if it came from another operating system besides Windows 10. This can cause the program I use to...
  6. Rating File Attribute Read Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Rating File Attribute Read Only: After upgrading to Windows 11, I have noticed that the "Rating" File Attribute on Video or Photos is now Read only and there is no way to modify or edit it. In Windows 10 this works fine. As a matter of fact, if I take that file back to a Windows 10 machine, I am able to edit...
  7. Rating File Attribute Read Only

Rating File Attribute Read Only: After upgrading to Windows 11, I have noticed that the "Rating" File Attribute on Video or Photos is now Read only and there is no way to modify or edit it. In Windows 10 this works fine. As a matter of fact, if I take that file back to a Windows 10 machine, I am able to edit...
  8. Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders

Unable to remove read-only attribute from folders: updated my nvidia graphics driver, started getting blue screen crashes. System restore did not correct. Found an nvidia sound device had been installed. Removed it and crashes stopped.Since then my folders are all read only and cannot be changed.Completed windows updaterun...
  9. Unable to remove read-only attributes in Windows10

Unable to remove read-only attributes in Windows10: System Info: Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-8300H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz Installed RAM 16.0 GB 15.8 GB usable Windows Info: Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 Installed on ‎11/‎07/‎2020 OS build 19042.610 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0 I...
  10. File Explorer does not honor the READ-ONLY attribute

File Explorer does not honor the READ-ONLY attribute: All, I stumbled across a situation that I believe is a problem in the Windows 10 File Explorer implementation. The File Explorer does not honor the file READ-ONLY attribute. Proof: Open a CMD prompt Make mkdir \tmp or go to cd \tmp Using NotePad create a test file -...