Windows 10: Automatically search files in start menu

Discus and support Automatically search files in start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 7 I type xxxx.txt and it searches the file in the indexed files. In Windows 10 I have to type Find in Documents. How do I make it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kensiko, Jul 27, 2015.

1. kensiko Win User

Automatically search files in start menu

In Windows 7 I type xxxx.txt and it searches the file in the indexed files.

In Windows 10 I have to type Find in Documents. How do I make it searches in my files without clicking a second time ?

:)

kensiko, Jul 27, 2015
  2. 2old2txt Win User

I open Window 10 file manager it automatically starts a search that never ends

When I open Window 10 file manager it automatically starts a search that never ends.
    If I cancel it the search stops, but almost all of my menu options are grayed out.

Thanks for your help

2old2txt, Jul 27, 2015
  3. DaveWave_ Win User
    How to Search after Hiding Search Bar

After installing Windows 10, I hid the search bar because I wanted to save space on my taskbar. However, I do not know how to search my computer after hiding the search bar. I want to find another way to search my computer without having to show the search
    icon or search bar on the taskbar. Shouldn't the search bar be found IN the Start menu itself? I found out that when I opened my Start menu and started typing a word, the search function would automatically pop up. However, if I opened my Start menu and accidentally
    clicked anywhere in the Start menu just once and starting typing the word, the search function would not pop up. Therefore, I had to close the Start menu and reopen it again, making sure not to click anywhere in the Start menu, to let the Search function pop
    up by itself again when I started typing. Is there a way to allow the search function to automatically pop up even after I pressed anywhere on the Start menu without having the search icon or search bar on my taskbar?

DaveWave_, Jul 27, 2015
  4. kensiko Win User

Nobody knows ? To soon I guess.

kensiko, Jul 27, 2015
  5. Try this
    Press the WinKey [ *Start ]
    then just type your search item, i.e. Q1report or Disk

Automatically search files in start menu [​IMG]

This was working well last week, but seems to behave strange this week.
    It seems to be working for me now, but not 2 hours ago *Sad

If you don't get results with a word, try typing just the first letter of the file you want to find.
    Also, don't add extensions when searching - just the file name (Q1report instead of Q1report.xlsx)

Slartybart, Jul 28, 2015
  6. hi!
    the same problem for me.
    My thread https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...tml#post395427.

Hope a resolution

DrakeVanCaster, Sep 17, 2015
  7. kensiko Win User
    My situation is not an issue, it's by design. File search works fine, but we need to click find in documents before, so it requires a second click, less efficient this way

kensiko, Sep 17, 2015
  8. Automatically search files in start menu

the same for me *Cool

DrakeVanCaster, Sep 17, 2015
  9. Try this:
    Launch Settings, then search for Search
    Select the trouble shooter

Automatically search files in start menu [​IMG]

Press advanced and run as administrator
    Choose the issue your machine exhibits - I picked 'files not found' and it informed me that the search data files had the wrong permissions. This might be a red herring though - I recall seeing the 'error' before and corrected it.

You might want to select 'The issue is not listed' to run a more thorough trouble shooting session.

Slartybart, Sep 17, 2015
  10. Torquemada, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Automatically search files in start menu - Similar Threads - Automatically search files

2. Search menu covering start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search menu covering start menu: After I updated my windows the other day. I can no longer have access on my start menu. Whenever I hit the sortvut key the search menu will cover the start menu completely please help...
  3. Search menu covering start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search menu covering start menu: After I updated my windows the other day. I can no longer have access on my start menu. Whenever I hit the sortvut key the search menu will cover the start menu completely please help...
  4. Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically

Start menu/Search doesn't close automatically: Hello! I have a problem that has been annoying me for the last couple of months, and I cannot keep using my Surface and Acer Laptop like that any longer! Whenever I press the Windows key or use the search dialog and search for a folder, and press enter, windows explorer...
  5. Search in start menu

in Cortana
    Search in start menu: Hi. I have recently switched from my windows 10 PC to my windows 10 laptop. I don't know of any software differences, so I do not know what may be the cause. When using my windows pc, I often quickly open the start menu to search something up by just starting to type in the...
  6. Start Menu and File Explorer search broken

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu and File Explorer search broken: For some reason, when I click on the search icon on the start menu, or the search box in file explorer, nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on v2004. submitted by /u/badass-techie [link] [comments]...
  7. Search menu on top of start menu

Search menu on top of start menu: [ATTACH] After updating to the latest version of windows 10 2004 through windows update, every time I open the menu the search menu opens on top. Does anybody know what is going on, and how to solve this bug?...
  8. Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search: Greetings, When I search with the start menu open after the recent major update it opens a new window. This is atrocious and I want the searching to take place inside the start menu. Is this at all possible? Thanks in advance // 139419
  9. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...