Windows 10: Automating installation rename optical and SSD/HDD during post install

Discus and support Automating installation rename optical and SSD/HDD during post install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does anyone know of a way to rename drives in a system via powershell, registry or commands (eg DISM, WMIC, etc).. NOTE: Powershell's get-disk does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wobitancrawfodi, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Automating installation rename optical and SSD/HDD during post install

Does anyone know of a way to rename drives in a system via powershell, registry or commands (eg DISM, WMIC, etc).. NOTE: Powershell's get-disk does not appear to detect optical drives.

I have 10 PCs. They have a varying number of drives. All have at least one optical, all have at least one SSD and HDD. The SSD always has two partitions at least; 96GB for Windows and whatever is left over for a second or possibly a third partition.

Each PC connects to a server and maps drive letters M: - Y:

I have standardized letters for all PCs based on usage.

D:\ is always for games
    E:\ Is always for downloads
    F:\ is for media/content creation/editing and related tasks
    G:\ is used for general data
    H:\ is used for programming, scripting, web design and related tasks (If present)

I want optical drives to always be A: and B: Windows always starts at D: during install, which varies from PC to PC (It never seems to see the drives in the same order during install, even if I always put SSD on SATA port 0, optical on Port(s) 2 (and 3), and HDDs or other SSDs on the next few ports.

I can't use diskpart - This is for use in setupcomplete or autounattend.xml.

Now that I think about, I vaguely recall reading something about this a few years back... To figure out which drive should have which drive letter we'd need other specifics, such as disk type (SSD, HDD), and size.

Anyone think this is doable?

thanks

:)

Wobitancrawfodi, Aug 30, 2019
  2. Onkar HN Win User

Installing OS on SSD that's already on a HDD

Hi there,

I heard that copying/moving OS from drive to drive isn't good. I just bought a SSD for my Freshly build PC which has Windows 10 Home installed on HDD, Now I'm willing to Install Windows on SSD for great performance.

I have some questions:

1) How do I install OS on SSD whiles it's still active on HDD?

2) How to install it? (I have Windows 10 USB drive)

3) How to enable SSD in UEFI BIOS?

4) Will I lose my data on partitions of HDD?

5) Will 120 GB space of my SSD cause any problem while updating Windows?

6) After install, Would I need to contact MSFT for that 'loong' code to activate Windows? (I had to contact for that code when I reinstalled Windows on my PC from My Laptop!)

And a off-topic question:

How to rename (Re letter) a Partition? I've Optical drive names 'D' and it's between my 'C' and 'E' drive partition.

Onkar HN, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Looking to buy my first SSD, how do I install games on my HDD if I have Steam on SSD?

i have a program that automates it, called steam mover i think. will edit a link into this post.

Steam Mover

install to HDD, and only move the games you want to SSD.

Mussels, Aug 30, 2019
  4. Ztruker Win User

Automating installation rename optical and SSD/HDD during post install

Installing Windows 10 on HDD, then on SSD

Skip the HDD step. Go directly to SSD. Win 10 will install and activate on the SSD with no problems.

Ztruker, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

Automating installation rename optical and SSD/HDD during post install

1. Automating installation rename optical and SSD/HDD during post install - Similar Threads - Automating installation rename

2. My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead: Hello, I used windows 10 tool in pc, to reset my pc because it was lagging and low FPS in games, tool somehow didnt work as it should because in the past it always worked and was easy to do so I went to another pc for flash disk to get installation for win 10, after some...
  3. My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead: Hello, I used windows 10 tool in pc, to reset my pc because it was lagging and low FPS in games, tool somehow didnt work as it should because in the past it always worked and was easy to do so I went to another pc for flash disk to get installation for win 10, after some...
  4. My ssd is not shown during install and win10 is installed on hdd instead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Installing windows in new SSD drive and moving old HDD in place of optical drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing windows in new SSD drive and moving old HDD in place of optical drive: In my laptop Lenevo ideapad 320 14ikb, there is a 2.5 inch 1tb HDD. But it doesn't have any SSD slot. So, I decided to install a sata SSD in place of HDD and move the HDD in the CD/DVD drive using a caddy. Now, I want to setup new clean windows in the SSD No cloning. Most...
  6. Automate post-installation tasks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automate post-installation tasks: For context I work in a computer shop and we do a lot of installations manually and this takes a lot of time, I already looked into creating a unattended install and now I'm searching for a way to turn off some settings like the window transparency and the background apps...
  7. Windows10 Home Reactivating post ssd install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows10 Home Reactivating post ssd install: Dear All, I had brought a dell laptop which came in with HDD and has Windows 10 Home along with. I am planning to move out to SSD as the processing is really slow. Could someone tell how do I use the same orginal windows 10 home in the laptop once ssd installed. I...
  8. Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installed M2 SSD + clean install of Windows on said SSD in laptop alongside HDD. HDD was...: I assume it has something to do with a partition on the HDD. Disk Manager does not allow me to delete 2 relatively small partitions, including one labeled "Recovery" and one labeled "EFI System Partition." I assume W10 is detecting the recovery partition and is giving me the...
  9. Optical drive will not install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical drive will not install: Toshiba Satellite laptop. New problem in the last few days. Windows 10 version 1809. Trying to send backup data to a flash drive, I noticed that the flash drive was labeled as 'D' instead of 'E' . Went to device manager, cd/dvd drive and saw this error for device status....
  10. Automated Win10 Installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automated Win10 Installation?: I would like to get a bit automated when it comes to clean installing Win10. All I really need, is to ONLY automate the wiping of ALL partitions so it would just only show the Unallocated disk space like the one in my image. Thats all I need. Can anyone provide me with a...