Windows 10: AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card

Discus and support AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I insert an SD card, I would like File Explorer to open and display the contents. I tried changing the options in Settings -> Devices - AutoPlay... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by zBernie, Sep 28, 2020.

1. zBernie Win User

AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card

When I insert an SD card, I would like File Explorer to open and display the contents. I tried changing the options in Settings -> Devices - AutoPlay to the following:

Removable drive: Open folder to view files File Explorer

Memory card: Open folder to view files File Explorer

I also set this options in Control Panel, and reset the AutoPlay options in control panel. I tried rebooting. This seems like it should be working.

What can I do to get File Explorer to open when I insert an SD card?

:)

zBernie, Sep 28, 2020

2. SD card will not autoplay when inserted

After my recent Windows10 upgrade, AutoPlay doesn't work when I insert an SD card. I have no problem accessing it in File Explorer. There are photo's on the card, from a camera. I can view them and
    import them without any problem. I went into the Control Panel, searched for AutoPlay, and checked and changed the appropriate settings for AutoPlay, but still, nothing happens when the card is inserted.

"Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" is ticked on.

Each option following has been set to "Open folder to view files (File Explorer)".

What gives?

FlamingoNut, Sep 28, 2020
  3. SD card will not autoplay when inserted

More useless information. RandyKG, I bow to you, lol.

I have tried multiple SD cards. Autorun never automatically kicks in. Cards are NOT corrupt.

I tried the lastest MS suggestion, and as usual, it's garbage.

I put the command in, first in C:\user\(xxx), and when that failed, it went up to the root (C:\) and got the same nonsense:

error 740

elevated permissions are required to run DSIM

use an elevated command prompt to complete these tasks

I am old school, and am very familiar with the command prompt.

Windows 10 is a nightmare...runs faster and smoother my you-know-what...smh.

Insert a flash drive and it pops up nicely, each and every time. Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10.

Insert an SD card in Windows XP, Windows 7, and it opens right up. Windows 10, nothing, got to do it manually, open up FE, scroll down through all the useless nonsense (that's another complaint, for another thread). Microsoft, these stupid changes you
    make from version to version are garbage. Stop messing with things. I am sooooooooo tempted to downgrade, I HATE WINDOWS 10.

I went to Settings, Autoplay Settings

Choose autoplay for all media & devices is ON

Removable drive is set to open folder to view files in File Explorer

Memory card is set to open folder to view files in File Explorer

The memory card DOES NOT OPEN AS STATED

FlamingoNut, Sep 28, 2020
  4. AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card

Import photos from SD Card in Photo Gallery using Autoplay

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Type Autoplay Settings in the Search box and press Enter.
    • Under Choose Autoplay defaults, select the option required from the drop down list for
      Removable drive and Memory card and close the Window.
    • Restart the system and check for status.
    I suggest you to try importing the photos using photo app as below and check if it helps.

• In the search box type photo.
    • Click on the photo app.
    • On the right hand top corner click on import option.
    • Before that you need to plug in SD card where you have saved the photos.
    Also refer the steps provided by
    Ruth Buruga
    replied on March 21, 2016 in the below link:

Windows 10 Import pictures from SD card

Hope it helps. Revert to us with the results, will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan Babu ER, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card

1. AutoPlay is not working when inserting SD card - Similar Threads - AutoPlay working inserting

2. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 and it doesn't recognize/show an SD card when inserted. I have searched the Microsoft Community and many of the solutions start with locating the SD card in the device manager; however, my SD drive doesn't even show up in the...
  3. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10 and it doesn't recognize/show an SD card when inserted. I have searched the Microsoft Community and many of the solutions start with locating the SD card in the device manager; however, my SD drive doesn't even show up in the...
  4. Windows doesn't recognize SD card when inserted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inserting a SD card point to an existing drive: Hi, My computer is configured like this: Drive C:\ --> SSD 250g with windows Drive G:\ --> HDD 1tb I have a built in SD card reader and when I insert a card in it, a new drive D: is created but it's displaying the same thing as the disk G:\. I've tried to visually...
  6. how to insert sd card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to insert sd card: how to insert sd card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-insert-sd-card/b093ae6e-7b9b-408e-82b6-d5dee16c5bee
  7. SD card not working when inserted; Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices gone.

SD card not working when inserted; Troubleshoot Hardware and Devices gone.: I've been trying to find ways to get my sd card reader working again. Since I've updated to the latest version of windows, I've had nothing but regret because now my laptop is unable to use my SD card reader and I can't even troubleshoot my hardware to even attempt to use it...
  8. inserting micro sd card

inserting micro sd card: hi when I insert a micro sd card into the slot on my laptop it won't stay or click in place. it works if I hold it in place. can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inserting-micro-sd-card/110bd64b-13e0-414c-a03d-ecd379cfad66
  9. BSOD inserting SD card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD inserting SD card: Hi when i turned on my PC i typed my PassWord in and i ejected my SD card while logging in and inserted when my desktop and then i got BSOD. And i forgot what the error was and i know whats in the sd card and its just unsupported files (thats not corrupted and no dll and exe...
  10. Problem showing SD cards when inserted in card reader

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem showing SD cards when inserted in card reader: Here's the thing: I have a multi card reader which has been working fine until the Anniversary Update. Now, when I insert an SD card, Windows doesn't show the card mounted. It remains as a hidden object which can only be viewed when I activate the "show hidden items"...