Windows 10: Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro

Discus and support Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro 64bit from Win 8.1 Pro 64bit with Media Center (in place upgrade). When I plug in a USB device I no notification... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sota24, Aug 7, 2015.

1. sota24 Win User

Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro

I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro 64bit from Win 8.1 Pro 64bit with Media Center (in place upgrade).

When I plug in a USB device I no notification pops up and there's no way of getting it to show the 'what do you want to do' menu.

The problem is described with images at Autoplay won't open in Windows 10.. When I insert a USB device, i hear the notification sound, the Action Center icon turns white, but no notification pops up. When I go into the Action Center a notification does show within it, but clicking it does nothing apart from make the notification disappear! When I use the system tray to safely remove the device, I correctly get a notification to confirm that it can be removed.

The link above suggests that the problem was resolved by a Windows Update, but that isn't the case for me (8th August with all updates installed). I have checked that autoplay is enabled when I get the above behaviour.

I've disabled autoplay in the meantime. The in place upgrade was otherwise flawless (although sound card now initialises and 'pops' after the desktop has loaded rather than on the UEFI boot screen, which is a bit unusual).

:)

sota24, Aug 7, 2015
  2. AVJohnnie Win User

Autoplay notifications and Action Center not working properly in Windows 10

Autoplay, and more specifically, Windows 10 Action Center (tap to choose) - are not working properly...

I've tried upgrading a perfectly functional Windows 8.1 Pro/64-Bit (with Media Center) notebook several times. Autoplay works perfectly on the Windows 8.1 configuration, prompting with the Autoplay menu (as expected) whenever a USB Thumb drive, External
    USB HD, etc., or a CD, DVD, BluRay Disc is inserted into the built-in disc player.

But after upgrading to Windows-10 Pro the Autoplay behavior is altered - No Autoplay menu is displayed - However the Action Center tasktray button highlights (indicating a new message) ... Clicking the Action Center button opens the AC (as expected) which
    now has the Autoplay notification message for the newly connected/inserted item displayed within it ...

Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro [​IMG]

Tapping/clicking the notification message only closes the message and nothing more...

I have done several web searches about this and it's plain to see that this is a known but as of yet publicly unacknowledged (by MS) issue with the Windows-10 upgrade, e.g. ...

Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro - Windows 10 Forums

Can anyone at Microsoft please provide some insight as to when this problem will be addressed?

Kind regards,

John

AVJohnnie, Aug 7, 2015
  3. autoplay doesn't work after loading windows 10

this solution does not work. tried above suggestion and changes to autoplay in control panel. then the group policy admin template settings. nothing works to enable autoplay. i'm on clean install of windows 10 PRO x64.

actual behavior: plug in SD card, drive shows up in this PC, no pop up asking for autoplay or in notification center. right clicking on drive, no option to trigger autoplay.

expected: after plugging in SD card, either autoplay notification or the right click menu contains autoplay button.

Badger_Badger_Badger, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Prizm Win User

I have the same problem with Windows 10 Home. The notification appears when I plug in something via USB, but when I click the notification to choose an option, it just disappears. It's very frustrating.

Prizm, Aug 13, 2015
  5. LarryC Win User
    I have the same problem on three computers at home and numerous clients who have upgraded to Windows 10.

LarryC, Aug 20, 2015
  6. igcamacho Win User
    I've got the exact same problem, but in Windows 10 Home :/

igcamacho, Sep 26, 2015
  7. I have the same problem. I have set autoplay to "ask me everytime" but it has not ever asked me what to do when inserting an external drive or disk.

garthmicro, Nov 2, 2015
  8. Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro

Sorry this is 8 months later - but maybe I know the solution? So, the notification icon at the lower right corner of the windows screen has what is called a "Quiet Hours" setting. If you haven't turned it off, it is likely turned on. If it is on, you will not see any notification popup when you insert a USB flash drive, DVD, CD nor external HDD. The system will detect these devices and will make them available - you just won't be notified and given choices about how the system should respond to those devices being plugged in.
    THE FIX: Right-click on that notification icon, then left-click on "Turn Off Quiet Hours." I sure hope this helps some of you that come looking for help in the future - it took me 3 hours to figure this out.
    Regards,
    Dale

DaleKinneman, Jun 26, 2016
  9. I have tried this and all sorts of other solutions, but none work.

RogerTheDodger, Jul 9, 2016
  10. I use this to enable autoplay on the computer. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoDriveTypeAutorun" /t REG_DWORD /d "0x95" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoDriveTypeAutorun" /t REG_DWORD /d "0x95" /f

TairikuOkami, Jul 9, 2016
  11. Many thanks for this suggestion, but sadly this has not worked either, even after a reboot. The values were added to the registry, though.

RogerTheDodger, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Autoplay notifications not working in Win 10 pro - Similar Threads - Autoplay notifications working

2. Problem with "AutoPlay" Notifications In Windows 10 device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with "AutoPlay" Notifications In Windows 10 device: Hello, I had some problem with autoplay notifications in my Windows 10 pc. I searched the internet and found below registry value change method.In this path, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer, I changed the value of...
  3. Problem with "AutoPlay" Notifications In Windows 10 device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with "AutoPlay" Notifications In Windows 10 device: Hello, I had some problem with autoplay notifications in my Windows 10 pc. I searched the internet and found below registry value change method.In this path, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer, I changed the value of...
  4. Problem with "AutoPlay" Notifications In Windows 10 device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with "AutoPlay" Notifications In Windows 10 device: Hello, I have some problem with autoplay notifications in my Windows 10 pc. I searched the internet and found below registry value change method.In this path, Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer, I changed the value of...
  5. Windows 10 Pro AutoPlay Not Working

Windows 10 Pro AutoPlay Not Working: I can plug anything into any of the 4 USB ports and appears to have power. However nothing ever happens and devices never shop up under autoplay. I have installed and reinstalled all of the drivers. Is there a special security setting or something I am not seeing? Doesnt work...
  6. Win 10 autoplay

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 autoplay: I want C:\Program Files x86\FastStone Image Viewer\FSViewer.exe to open when I connect the LG phone. Can I do a registry mod to accomplish this? Thanks, Terry Ryan [ATTACH]...
  7. BITLOCKER AUTOPLAY WINDOWS 10 PRO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BITLOCKER AUTOPLAY WINDOWS 10 PRO: Is there any way that when I plugged in an encrypted USB drive that the password prompt is automaticlly displayed? At this time when I plug in my device I get a blank File Explorer "Location is not available" windows and message that "G:\ is not accessible. Access is...
  8. win 1o autoplay won't work.

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 1o autoplay won't work.: win 1o autoplay won't work. Have reinstalled win 10, no joy. Atuplay is set to ON. Current_user_ registry entry show no value under policies. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-1o-autoplay-wont-work/3f199603-8c5c-4415-8778-51851cc69bcc
  9. Autoplay notification does not work with DVD drive

Autoplay notification does not work with DVD drive: Autoplay does not work when a disk is inserted in the optical drive. Drive operates but the popup window associated with autoplay does not work. I have to open file explorer and point to the drive with my mouse to get the autoplay notification to work. Does anyone know how to...
  10. AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro

AutoPlay non-functional in Win 10 Pro: Windows 10 PRO. AutoPlay isn't working in Windows 10. The SETTINGS|DEVICES menu has it turned ON. In Control Panel, it's turned on and configured to PLAY a CD. It's not disabled in the Group Policy editor. Neither of the two optical drives (a CD and DVD) will auto play...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win10 pro autoplay not working

2. autoplay notifications are not working