Windows 10: Autoplay settings

Discus and support Autoplay settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; long story short l recently restored my laptop, certain settings have reverted which is no biggie, but l burn the occasional disk and for the life of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by auroken, Sep 24, 2019.

1. auroken Win User

Autoplay settings

long story short l recently restored my laptop, certain settings have reverted which is no biggie, but l burn the occasional disk and for the life of me l cannot remember where the settings for DVD/CD autoplay were as l want to stop windows from automatically trying to use the inbuilt windows burning utility and use my own. but l cannot seem to find any settings that related to what windows will do when l insert a disk, just two options which dont give me much control over the actions when l insert media.

:)

auroken, Sep 24, 2019

2. Program doesn't exist for Autoplay

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to set the Autoplay settings and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control Panel.
    • Go to Control Panel and locate AutoPlay.
    • In AutoPlay settings make sure that you check Use AutoPlay for all media and devices.
    • Next click the Reset all defaults button. Your Autoplay settings should be reset to default.

Autoplay settings autoplay-problems-windows-10.png

• Insert USB or DVD to see if Autoplay is working.

You can also try downloading Windows Media Player 10

Download Windows Media Player 10 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Sep 24, 2019
  3. autoplay doesn't work after loading windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know if you have installed all the pending updates on your device.

Also, check with the sound drivers as well.

I suggest you to check with the setting for AutoPlay and check if it helps.

Even if you have turned on the AutoPlay option, there might be some option chosen Choose AutoPlay defaults. I suggest you to check with those options.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type AutoPlay and click on AutoPlay settings.
    • To enable AutoPlay, move the Use AutoPlay for all media and devices button to On.
    • Next you can choose and set your AutoPlay defaults.
    For Removable drives, the following options are available from the drop-down menu:

• Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time
    • Configure this drive for backup (File History)
    • Configure storage settings (Settings).

For Memory Cards, the options available are:

• Play video files using alternate
      software
    • Play using Windows Media Player
    • Take no action
    • Open folder to view files
    • Ask me every time.
    Set your options and exit.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 24, 2019
  4. Rey Bel1 Win User

Autoplay settings

AutoPlay via a Remote Desktop connection not working

Hi Timothy,

It could be that the AutoPlay settings on PC B have not been enabled that's why AutoPlay won't work. You can enable it by following the steps below:

• Click the Ask me anything.
    • Type autoplay, then press Enter.
    • Click AutoPlay settings.
    • Check the settings if it’s on.

Let us know if the steps above have resolved your concern.

Rey Bel1, Sep 24, 2019
Thema:

Autoplay settings

1. Autoplay settings - Similar Threads - Autoplay settings

2. Can I configure Autoplay to use a specific app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I configure Autoplay to use a specific app?: When I insert an SD card into my Win 11 laptop. I'd like my my image management program FastStone Viewer to open. In Control Panel>AutoPlay I only get these options: In that dropdown there used to be something called "Manage Pictures," but it's gone now. Is it possible to...
  3. Can I configure Autoplay to use a specific app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I configure Autoplay to use a specific app?: When I insert an SD card into my Win 11 laptop. I'd like my my image management program FastStone Viewer to open. In Control Panel>AutoPlay I only get these options: In that dropdown there used to be something called "Manage Pictures," but it's gone now. Is it possible to...
  4. autoplay launches Powermedia even though autoplay on my pc is set to launch windows media

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    autoplay launches Powermedia even though autoplay on my pc is set to launch windows media: When I insert a dvd in the drawer, something called PowerMedia Player pops up and says I need to upgrade-- for $59.99. I haven't used the dvd player on my HP Pavillion a lot, but I think it used to launch windows media when I inserted a dvd. I checked to see that autoplay was...
  5. Set default to Autoplay, but Windows Media Player automatically opens and rejects CD

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default to Autoplay, but Windows Media Player automatically opens and rejects CD: The error message is "cannot Rip one or more tracks". I'm using Windows 10. This has just begun to happen recently, maybe since last Win10 update. Would appreciate help!...
  6. Microsoft Windows Photos Autoplay settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Windows Photos Autoplay settings: What should the Autoplay settings be to display all of the images on my Panasonic Lumix FZ80 camera? (Currently, the "Looking for images and videos" screen says only "1 item found so far" and NO images are displayed). [ATTACH]...
  7. Autoplay stopped working "condidentiality setting"

in Windows 10 Support
    Autoplay stopped working "condidentiality setting": Hi, Autoplay stopped working and i know for a fact that it is cause of some "condidentiality setting" (some app, possibility helped with WIT, disabled a lot without telling me which). I went through condidentiality panes in settings but couldn't find the culprit. Basically,...
  8. set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor

in Windows 10 Support
    set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor: Do you know how to set the AutoPlay defaults with the registry editor? For example, I would prefer the default to be set to "Open a folder to view files (File Explorer) for "Removable Drive" and "Memory Card," but I don't exactly know how to set this in the registry editor...
  9. Reset AutoPlay Settings to Default in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset AutoPlay Settings to Default in Windows 10: How to: Reset AutoPlay Settings to Default in Windows 10 How to Reset AutoPlay Settings to Default in Windows 10 AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds of...
  10. Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10: How to: Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 How to Backup and Restore AutoPlay Settings in Windows 10 AutoPlay lets you choose an action for different kinds of media when you plug in a device or insert media. You can set AutoPlay to open different kinds...