Windows 10: Autoplay won't open in Windows 10.

Discus and support Autoplay won't open in Windows 10. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello D, and welcome to Ten Forums. If you like, you could directly open AutoPlay, and choose the defaults you want. *Smile... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by D RECK, Aug 1, 2015.

1. rajn1 Win User

Autoplay won't open in Windows 10.

It does not work. I have spent two hours on the phone with Microsoft Support, they had access to my machine (they needed frequent breaks to look at the resource guide as they were not familiar with Win 10) . Bottom line Win 10 does not work with Autoplay with Windows Media Player or any other media player. This is a disgrace as MS have ruined the launch of a superior browser and OS with sloppiness with regard to the Media Player. There should have been full disclosure that Windows Media Player will not work and AutoPlay will not work, there should have been a Tutorial with a workaround. My wife hates Win 10 as she watches a lot of videos and I can't upgrade my Win 7 machine until this is fixed.

rajn1, Aug 26, 2015
  2. rajn1 Win User

Thanks CharlieVA for suggesting Videolan VLC Player. Its Free and it works!!
    Here are the steps, so everyone can benefit.
    1. Download Videolan VLC Player from the Internet. Click Run. Like all free software adding them and their partners to toolbars etc is pre checked. Uncheck all the ones you do not want and click Next until finished. There will be a clown hat at the bottom of your screen. Click it to launch the software.
    2. Right click on the Windows icon, then Control Panel, then Hardware/ Sound, you will see Autoplay under Devices and Printers
    3. Click on Change Default Settings for Media or Devices. For ‘Play DVD and for enhanced DVD’, choose Videolan VLC as the default option from the drop down.
    4. Click Save and you are good to Go !!

rajn1, Aug 31, 2015
  3. DHT
    DHT Win User
    I found this fix on the Microsoft forums, and it worked for me. All the settings for autoplay now work as configured, and change when I change them.

*Arrow AutoPlay - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

The registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

should contain a key labeled "NoDriveTypeAutoRun", which should be set to Hex value (dword) 91. Create it if necessary. You can use the following file if you like. Always 'edit' to view reg files first, and make sure they do what they claim to do!

Fix Autoplay.reg

Be sure to create a restore point first any time you start changing the registry.

4. Autoplay won't open in Windows 10.

Thank you DHT at long last a solution that has worked for me.

I've been everywhere even to the reinstalling of Windows 10

Incidentally at long last I have solved the non destructive method of reinstalling Windows 10, just run setup from a Windows 10 DVD making sure that it is the correct language as installed

Albyefield, Sep 25, 2015
  5. DHT
    DHT Win User
    You're welcome, Albyefield. And thanks to you for sharing that tip on reinstalling Windows 10. I was wondering how to go about doing that, since odds are good a new OS would need to be reinstalled. Windows 7 was the first OS of any kind I never had to reinstall, not even once. Perhaps Windows 10 will be as stable and "fixable", as you and I just did.

6. sneak Win User
    Hi DHT,

I just wanted to say thanks for that little gem of information, AutoPlay failing was driving me mad but it's now working perfectly again.

Thanks again, top man!

sneak, Sep 27, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I found autoplay wasn't working: the basic Windows 10 Settings (or via Control Panel, Autoplay) didn't resolve this.

I found the registry references here helpful:
    Fixes for AutoPlay Dialog Box Not Appearing When Plugging in a Removable Device • Raymond.CC
    (Ok, it's not specifically Win 10, but the same keys exist - note I'm using a 32 bit OS).

Usual caveat: Before making any change to the registry, back up. Disk imaging is recommended as the ultimate, but exporting (non-critical) keys before you change them or complete registry backups may be adequate. And there's always System restore - although plenty of people (like me) are experiencing the "System Restore did not complete successfully" problem in Win 10, and finding they have to uninstall their AV to use it. Hmm.

dalchina, Sep 28, 2015
  8. DHT
    DHT Win User

Autoplay won't open in Windows 10. :)

9. unko Win User
    Well that didn't work for me it seems..

10. the november update finally fixed this issue for me

rollercoaster25, Dec 13, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    That's got be to some sort of record... the November update actually fixed sthg rather than broke it...

Autoplay won't open in Windows 10. [​IMG]

dalchina, Dec 13, 2015
  12. its been on the best windows updates i've seen. computer working much better

rollercoaster25, Dec 13, 2015
  13. unko Win User

I agree and that seems working now..! However, I still have the issue with media keys while player is in background.. How do I fix that?

14. dalchina New Member
    unko- you have your own thread on Autohotkey.. is your issue at all relevant to autoplay?

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  15. unko Win User
    I thought I was posting there..

Thema:

1. Autoplay won't open in Windows 10. - Similar Threads - Autoplay won't open

2. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  3. Autoplay not autoplaying

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Autoplay not autoplaying: Recently, my radio station stopped autoplaying. I searched and found How to Enable or Disable Media Autoplay in Microsoft Edge in Windows - Microsoft Community to remember where the setting resides. I checked and the url is still in the Allow section. Why won't it autoplay?...
  4. Autoplay not working, windows 10

Autoplay not working, windows 10: My dvd/cd autoplay is not working, depiste it being enabled in my default settings both control panel & settings apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autoplay-not-working-windows-10/c72a4454-7c81-4a6f-8fe4-774c1bb04bb5
  5. AutoPlay Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AutoPlay Windows 10: I use the eject button to eject a removable device. Windows doesn't respond OK to remove device. Patiently waiting for Wndows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autoplay-windows-10/40b02b4e-8152-4627-89ab-082fe3d55313
  6. AutoPlay Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AutoPlay Windows 10: I use the eject button to eject a removable device. Windows doesn't respond OK to remove device. Patiently waiting for Wndows 11. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autoplay-windows-10/40b02b4e-8152-4627-89ab-082fe3d55313
  7. AutoPlay Windows 10

8. win 1o autoplay won't work.

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 1o autoplay won't work.: win 1o autoplay won't work. Have reinstalled win 10, no joy. Atuplay is set to ON. Current_user_ registry entry show no value under policies. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-1o-autoplay-wont-work/3f199603-8c5c-4415-8778-51851cc69bcc
  9. Autoplay -Open Device Stage

Autoplay -Open Device Stage: I have a camera. For this camera Windows 10 "Auto play" is set to "Open Device Stage" which is run when this camera is connected via USB cable and then turned On. With Windows 10 version 1809 the camera app is listed on the Task bar then runs and saves pictures from the...
  10. autoplay for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    autoplay for Windows 10: I cant seem to get my disc drive to auto play and without autoplay, I have no idea where/how to run my disc... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autoplay-for-windows-10/d67bc41d-d576-4fee-9d07-f0c6c534fb32