Windows 10: Autorun.inf icon not working for 1 drive, but other's are; why?

Discus and support Autorun.inf icon not working for 1 drive, but other's are; why? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have two external drives I use very much with my laptop: a 1TB external HDD, and a 16GB SD card, both with a custom autorun.inf file with an icon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Tokogen, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Autorun.inf icon not working for 1 drive, but other's are; why?

So I have two external drives I use very much with my laptop: a 1TB external HDD, and a 16GB SD card, both with a custom autorun.inf file with an icon and label.The SD card has had a working icon and label for about 2 years now, no issues.The external drive is newer (only about 2 months old), and its icon and label work fine.

This morning I booted up my laptop, and noticed the icon for the SD card was missing (but not the label), and it was replaced with a default system icon, while the external drive retained its icon and name.See here:https://imgur.com/a/CutUay0

Obviously, I decided to create a new .inf and .ico file for the card, assuming the old ones got corrupted for whatever reason. So after doing so, and ejecting and inserting my SD back into my laptop, the exact same problem persisted; same label, but system icon.

The autorun.inf files for both drives are identical in layout, but for some ungodly reason the SD refuses to show its icon.

https://imgur.com/6CjKi4K • HDD .inf

https://imgur.com/ktDqaJq • SD .inf

Can someone tell me what could be causing the problem here?

I've already tried a few other solutions, including setting the icon to the drive via editing the Registry, and uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the SD reader.

Help is very, very appreciated.

─ EDIT/UPDATE:
    Not shortly after posting this, I plugged in a very old flash drive also with a custom autorun file (to test if it was only my SD card with the problem), and its icon actually appeared on the sidebar of the Explorer window, but shared the same default icon as the SD in the 'My Computer' window. After ejecting it and putting it back, the sidebar icon was the default icon too.

Hoping this helps with diagnosing it.

submitted by /u/Tokogen
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Tokogen, Nov 11, 2019
  2. dwax Win User

hard drive icon?

I have a Western Digital External Drive ant they use their own icon. But it is in a folder named AUTORUN then in the ini they put out side the folder it has this in it.

[autorun]
    ICON=AUTORUN\WDLOGO.ICO

Hope that helps.

3. autoruns

When I do autoruns on windows 10, I type this

[autorun]

open=filename.fileextension

label=blah

icon=lol.ico

I save as .inf and when I plug the USB in it changes the icon and changes the drive name but does not open the file. The file is also in the root folder so why?

pickdiamond, Nov 11, 2019
  4. Autorun.inf icon not working for 1 drive, but other's are; why?

Why are my Drive icons not working with Autorun.inf

Hello fellow Windows 10 likers,

I've customized my Win10 from the start, and I've used an AUTORUN.INF file to have a custom drive icon for most of my drives in 'This PC'.
    This is an (old) example of this:

Autorun.inf icon not working for 1 drive, but other's are; why? [​IMG]

But since a week or so -maybe because of an update or something- the drive icons are not custom anymore.
    They have the 'stock look' again:

The AUTORUN.inf file is still there in every drive WITH the right icon, yet it does not seem to work anymore.
    This is in the D:/ Drive:

(the folders still do have a custom icon, but that works differently)

Also the J drive (picture 2) is an USB and had an ICON and NAME too, they dont pop up anymore either.

Does anyone have a clue what to do to get my custom icons for my drives / partitions back?

Foreign Frisian, Nov 11, 2019
Thema:

Autorun.inf icon not working for 1 drive, but other's are; why?

1. Autorun.inf icon not working for 1 drive, but other's are; why? - Similar Threads - Autorun inf icon

2. AUTORUN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AUTORUN: HiWhat is this for found in my downloaded areaThank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autorun/3e7ac7b4-73d9-4033-abfe-b20cef58bae4
  3. *.inf

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    *.inf: Not able to run autorun.inf from pen drive automaticallyThe file association for *.inf is with notepadPlease Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inf/ec7aaf08-ca92-4066-8639-9ca9d02aa364
  4. An exercise require me to find an .inf file created in 1/1/2001

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    An exercise require me to find an .inf file created in 1/1/2001: So an exercise in my IT class want me to find an .inf file that is created in 1/1/2001 and contain microsoft and i cannot find it. is this question wrong or is this file deleted in windows 10 or something submitted by /u/Lazyocelot1611 [link] [comments]...
  5. How do I get AutoRun to work with USB drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I get AutoRun to work with USB drives?: Title says it all. How do I get AutoRun working with USB drives in Win10? submitted by /u/chungus_is_gay [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gjw1hw/how_do_i_get_autorun_to_work_with_usb_drives/
  6. Why the icon of drive C is different from other drivers icons?

Why the icon of drive C is different from other drivers icons?: Hi, MY C drive icon is just an image of a blank sheet. I never changed it. It is like this for quite a long time and I don't know when it has changed. What is the reason for this and how to restore the old one? I attached the screenshot [ATTACH] Thanks in advance....
  7. Autoplay (or is it autorun?) issue with mounted images inf ignored

in Windows 10 Support
    Autoplay (or is it autorun?) issue with mounted images inf ignored: So after re-installing daemon tools (i didnt get the memo that sptd got perma broken with windows 1903) I discovered (likely an issue prior, just noticed now) that I wasnt getting the icon in my navigation pane for whatever iso I mounted. this was further determined to not...
  8. Autorun

in Windows 10 Customization
    Autorun: How do you turn on Autorun in Windows 10? When I insert a CD or DVD in its drive, nothing happens. Shouldn't I get some kind of Autorun screen? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/autorun/b3458f60-1812-48ff-8c04-8a232a62c933
  9. Why are my Drive icons not working with Autorun.inf

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why are my Drive icons not working with Autorun.inf: Hello fellow Windows 10 likers, I've customized my Win10 from the start, and I've used an AUTORUN.INF file to have a custom drive icon for most of my drives in 'This PC'. This is an (old) example of this: [img] But since a week or so -maybe because of an update...
  10. Western Digital Passport drives autorun?

Western Digital Passport drives autorun?: Hello, i'm moving back to 10 recently. I recall on 1st version i tried, when i plugged my WD Passport, i was asked what to do. Now not anymore. There is an autorun app that's launching to unlock the drive (hardware encryption enabled). How do i fix that? 59820

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 custom icon for usb not displayed with autorun