Windows 10: Autorun

Discus and support Autorun in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do you turn on Autorun in Windows 10? When I insert a CD or DVD in its drive, nothing happens. Shouldn't I get some kind of Autorun screen?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by I_and_Me, Sep 9, 2018.

1. I_and_Me Win User

Autorun

How do you turn on Autorun in Windows 10? When I insert a CD or DVD in its drive, nothing happens. Shouldn't I get some kind of Autorun screen? Thanks.

:)

I_and_Me, Sep 9, 2018

2. Windows 10 Autorun?

Hello,

As you are asking whether the security of disabling Autorun/Autoplay option from system settings is the same as disabling from the registry and will take affect in the same way. There is no need to worry about virus threats which usually attack from autorun/autoplay.
    If you want to disable autorun/autoplay from registry, follow the steps provided below:

• Type regedit in the search box and press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • In the right pane of the window create a new DWORD value "NoDriveTypeAutorun".
    • Set the value based on the following requirements:
      • FF – To disable AutoRun on all drives
      • 20 – To disable AutoRun on CD-ROM drives
      • 4 – To disable AutoRun on removable drives
      • 8 – To disable AutoRun on fixed drives
      • 10 – To disable AutoRun on network drives
      • 40 – To disable AutoRun on RAM disks
      • 1 – To disable AutoRun on unknown drives
    • If you want to disable AutoRun on a certain combination of drives, you’ll have to combine their values. For example, if you want to disable AutoRun on CD-ROM and removable drives, set the value of DWORD to 28.
    • If you want to return AutoRun functionality, just delete the NoDriveTypeAutorun DWORD value.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 9, 2018
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    How can I remove this virus remnant?

I was also going to suggest Autoruns.

Check to make sure it isn't attaching itself to explorer. It should be the 3rd thing listed in Autoruns, the listing for the Shell. It should just be Explorer.exe. If it is anything else, that might be your problem.

newtekie1, Sep 9, 2018
  4. MilkyWay Win User

Autorun

Just when you think MS is getting a little Smarter/Microsoft kills off autorun

AutoRun you set a program to run sutomticaly depending on the media type or file type

so you say vlc to automatically play any mpeg videos

autoplay is that the box that brings up a list of commands like view and a list of programs to run it on?

MilkyWay, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

Autorun

1. Autorun - Similar Threads - Autorun

2. Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...: Title: "USB Autorun Not Working Without Installation of Third-Party Software"Description: Hi everyone,I'm encountering an issue with USB autorun on my Windows computer. I have a specific file on a USB drive that I want to automatically open when I plug in the drive. However,...
  3. Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can USB autorun be enabled on Windows without installing third-party software? Tried...: Title: "USB Autorun Not Working Without Installation of Third-Party Software"Description: Hi everyone,I'm encountering an issue with USB autorun on my Windows computer. I have a specific file on a USB drive that I want to automatically open when I plug in the drive. However,...
  4. Windows 11 22621 refuses to start up after Autoruns shenanigans.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22621 refuses to start up after Autoruns shenanigans.: Hi everyone, I've been using my Windows installation for about 2 years now and I'm starting to regret not sticking to my usual schedule of reinstalling at least once a year.I had some problems with Task Manager popping up randomly, and my desktop was taking sometimes up to a...
  5. Windows 11 22621 refuses to start up after Autoruns shenanigans.

Windows 11 22621 refuses to start up after Autoruns shenanigans.: Hi everyone, I've been using my Windows installation for about 2 years now and I'm starting to regret not sticking to my usual schedule of reinstalling at least once a year.I had some problems with Task Manager popping up randomly, and my desktop was taking sometimes up to a...
  6. AUTORUN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AUTORUN: HiWhat is this for found in my downloaded areaThank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autorun/3e7ac7b4-73d9-4033-abfe-b20cef58bae4
  7. AUTORUN

AUTORUN: HiWhat is this for found in my downloaded areaThank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autorun/3e7ac7b4-73d9-4033-abfe-b20cef58bae4
  8. AUTORUN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. I have ran autoruns on windows 11. It shows that atmfd.dll "find not found". Does this need...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have ran autoruns on windows 11. It shows that atmfd.dll "find not found". Does this need...: As seen above. Is this an issue or can it be safety ignored? I am unable to disable it on autoruns and am slightly nervous to do anything else....
  10. I have ran autoruns on windows 11. It shows that atmfd.dll "find not found". Does this need...

I have ran autoruns on windows 11. It shows that atmfd.dll "find not found". Does this need...: As seen above. Is this an issue or can it be safety ignored? I am unable to disable it on autoruns and am slightly nervous to do anything else....