Windows 10: AV has left files in Cortana's Icon cache after uninstall

Discus and support AV has left files in Cortana's Icon cache after uninstall in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I wanted to give Kaspersky free edition a look over on my Windows 10 machine, but have decided on another course and uninstalled it. Or at least I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Win20Win, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Win20Win Win User

AV has left files in Cortana's Icon cache after uninstall

I wanted to give Kaspersky free edition a look over on my Windows 10 machine, but have decided on another course and uninstalled it. Or at least I thought I had uninstalled it, since a search of 'kaspersky' reveals there are still some files in ...\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana........\AppIconCache file.

Can anyone advise how to get rid of these?

Should I be concerned that Kaspersky is still on my system after uninstallation?

:)

Win20Win, Aug 22, 2019
  2. SOS333 Win User

Unable to uninstall GuardCat AV

I find the program called GuardCat AV but it's not listed under Settings-Apps so I'm unable to uninstall.

I also tried deleting from PC-Windows(CAV has left files in Cortana's Icon cache after uninstall :)-Program Files(x86) - GuardCat AV and tried to delete GuardCat AV but unable to delete. It wont complete deleting. Could you please let me know how I can uninstall unwanted software? Thank you.

SOS333, Aug 22, 2019
  3. Cortana Not Showing Windows App Icons

Hi,

Store App icons are saved in an icon cache. The Icon Cache is a database file used to keep copies of every icon. Sometimes, Icon cache can be corrupted. That could be the reason why you're having problems with the app icons.

We suggest rebuilding the Icon cache to resolve the issue. Follow these steps:

• Close all the open programs.
    • Go to Task Manager.
    • Locate Windows Explorer, right-click it and select End task.
    • Select Run new task from the File menu.
    • Type cmd.exe.
    • Put a check on Create this task with administrative privileges and click
      OK.
    • Once an elevated command prompt open, type the following and hit Enter.

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer attrib –h iconcache_*.db del iconcache_*.db start explorer

Your Icon cache will be rebuild.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Ronalene Mat, Aug 22, 2019
  4. AV has left files in Cortana's Icon cache after uninstall

Cortana - notebook icon missing

Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts”. option not turn on

Biswajit samal, Aug 22, 2019
Thema:

AV has left files in Cortana's Icon cache after uninstall

1. AV has left files in Cortana's Icon cache after uninstall - Similar Threads - has left files

2. File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?: Hello,I have a problem whereby the status icons for folders in File Explorer are not updating to reflect their actual status. e.g., instead of the blue-arrow-circle they should be the solid-green-checkmark. So there seems to be a disconnect between my local OneDrive files and...
  3. File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File status icons not updating - problem with cached files?: Hello,I have a problem whereby the status icons for folders in File Explorer are not updating to reflect their actual status. e.g., instead of the blue-arrow-circle they should be the solid-green-checkmark. So there seems to be a disconnect between my local OneDrive files and...
  4. Files left after Game apps uninstalled

Files left after Game apps uninstalled: Hi allMy laptop came with the Candy Crush Saga and Cooking Fever apps installedI uninstalled them recentlyHowever TreeSize shows that there are files from these apps in the WindowsApps folder taking up nearly 1GB I can't delete them myself - they appear to be owned by...
  5. uninstall cortana

uninstall cortana: how do i uninstall cortana in win 10 pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-cortana/75d0f616-0d9e-460a-afe8-22bc67539560
  6. uninstall cortana

uninstall cortana: I want to uninstall cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-cortana/0d935ff5-d3cd-4f3c-8f4a-662c4024963d
  7. Uninstall Total AV

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Uninstall Total AV: How do I uninstall Total AV [Original Title: Sercurity] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/uninstall-total-av/4fba9d54-7c65-4ec0-bcba-28f1a85e95e1
  8. AV has left files in Cortana's Iconcache after uninstall

AV has left files in Cortana's Iconcache after uninstall: I wanted to give Kaspersky free edition a look over on my Windows 10 machine, but have decided on another course and uninstalled it. Or at least I thought I had uninstalled it, since a search of 'kaspersky' reveals there are still some files in...
  9. Unable to uninstall GuardCat AV

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to uninstall GuardCat AV: I find the program called GuardCat AV but it's not listed under Settings-Apps so I'm unable to uninstall. I also tried deleting from PC-Windows(C:)-Program Files(x86) - GuardCat AV and tried to delete GuardCat AV but unable to delete. It wont complete deleting. Could you...
  10. Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnail cache and icon cache rebuilding after a feature update?: I was curious about the thumbnail cache and icon cache. Do these rebuild themselves after a feature update? I have a small issue with some icons. It so insignificant that I won’t bother manually rebuilding the icon cache but just wondered if a feature update forces something...