Windows 10: Avalanche of default app resets upon login

Discus and support Avalanche of default app resets upon login in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello all, Since we have started to roll out windows 10 1909, upon login a user will get an Avalanche of default app resets. This can range for 5 - 20... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/5Y54DMIN, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Avalanche of default app resets upon login

Hello all,

Since we have started to roll out windows 10 1909, upon login a user will get an Avalanche of default app resets. This can range for 5 - 20 Notifications in the bottom right corner of the screen one after another. Below is the list of resets that I was able to capture.

I have tried exporting the xml of the default app association with DISM and importing that, it will sometimes lower the number to around 5 resets upon log in.

I have also removed all applications installed during OSD, so SCCM just deploys the Operating system, and we still get resets however only 3 and its all for Microsoft things, the browser and holographic files, ETC.

The DISM export and import was my best shot at this but it didn’t appear to work. I also found it interesting when just imaging the OS that there are still app resets even though there is no applications installed that would change them, as I have read that some application will change app associations in a way windows does not want, and this is reset upon login.

Thoughts?

• .htm
    • .jpeg
    • .jpg
    • .jxr
    • .kdc
    • .mrw
    • .nef
    • .nrw
    • .orf
    • .pdf
    • .pef
    • .raf
    • .raw
    • .rw2
    • .rwl
    • .sr2
    • .wdp
    • default browser
    • holographic files
    submitted by /u/5Y54DMIN
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/5Y54DMIN, Jan 14, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Avalanche of default app resets upon login :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jan 14, 2020
  3. How to reset Windows 10 settings to default?

Hi,

As per your concern, some settings on Windows 10 have default options. You can reset Windows 10 to its defaults app by following this steps.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose System.
    • On the left side, select Default app.

Avalanche of default app resets upon login ea3e6a93-7042-4c55-9b4e-a912780c3b97.png

• Under Reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults, click Reset.
    Regarding your concern with default button on each setting, you have a great idea. We suggest that you share your comments on our Windows Feedback hub for us to improve our services. Simply type
    Windows Feedback on the Start menu.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Avalanche of default app resets upon login

Resetting Default App in Widows 10

Hi Peter,

Some of the possible reason why you're default apps reset every reboot is due to corrupted system files or third party software. We suggest that you set at least 2 or 3 default apps then perform a clean boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any
    third party programs. Click this
    link
    to view the steps on how to perform a clean boot.

Let us know if the suggestions help you in resolving the problem.

Regile Reb, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Avalanche of default app resets upon login

1. Avalanche of default app resets upon login - Similar Threads - Avalanche default app

2. Default Drivers reset upon restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default Drivers reset upon restart: Hello,At random, my default audio and recording devices SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro and Blue Yeti will be switched out without my input. This has become extremely infurating and has resulted in me becoming late to several online conferences due to my computer suddenly...
  3. Default Drivers reset upon restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Drivers reset upon restart: Hello,At random, my default audio and recording devices SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro and Blue Yeti will be switched out without my input. This has become extremely infurating and has resulted in me becoming late to several online conferences due to my computer suddenly...
  4. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login: Hi, I'm having some issues with the Windows default applications. We have several computers that are having their default applications reset upon logging out and in. Specifically, we are forced to set Adobe Reader as the default app fairly often and it only stays for the...
  5. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login: Hi, I'm having some issues with the Windows default applications. We have several computers that are having their default applications reset upon logging out and in. Specifically, we are forced to set Adobe Reader as the default app fairly often and it only stays for the...
  6. Windows is resetting the defaults apps after every login

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. App default was reset

App default was reset: Windows is showing App default was reset again and again , even though no changes were done by me then also it is showing notification as App default was reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-default-was-reset/8235d04e-8ce2-4eaa-88d4-d5012b6c5d14
  8. An app default was reset

An app default was reset: A few days ago this message appeared in my notification. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .raw so it was reset to Photos Now start up and sign in are sometime slow/sluggish and sometimes before sign in i get a momentary...
  9. "An App Default was Reset"

"An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  10. App defaults resetting

App defaults resetting: How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/app-defaults-resetting/77707996-8b34-444a-9c68-678d2dfebe69