Windows 10: Avast to buy antivirus rival AVG for $1.3 billion

Discus and support Avast to buy antivirus rival AVG for $1.3 billion in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Antivirus firm Avast has announced a deal to buy rival company AVG for $1.3 billion (£1bn).The transaction is an-cash offer for AVG's shares at a price... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by z3r010, Jul 6, 2016.

1. z3r010 Win User

Avast to buy antivirus rival AVG for $1.3 billion

Read more:- Avast to buy antivirus rival AVG for $1.3 billion | WIRED UK

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date

:)

z3r010, Jul 6, 2016
  2. max green Win User

recent update to microsoft photoviewer flagged as virus?

AVG is probably not working well with the latest version of windows 10 build 14393.

AVG is going to be bought out by Avast anyway, so just uninstall AVG.

Avast Software to Buy AVG Technologies for $1.3 Billion

You can use the windows built in Defender or try Avast or any other third-party antivirus software.

They all will be updated soon to support the public Anniversary release of windows 10 build 14393,

(version 1607).

max green, Jul 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Question

Recently Avast buy the AVG Antivirus.

Now if you have third-part Antivirus, Microsoft recommend to disable the Windows Defender to avoid any possible problem
    that may occur!

Also Windows Defender in Windows 8.1+ give you a "full" protection against malwares, viruses etc.

Michael Angelo Tsiantakis, Jul 6, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

I like and occasionally use both products but this is a sad day for competition.

swarfega, Jul 6, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Now I wonder if AVG will still exist or will they be merged into Avast?? I for sure hope that AVG is allowed to keep on going. It's a darn good tool.

BunnyJ, Jul 6, 2016
  6. sgtaylor5 Win User
    Both AV vendors get just a little bit too aggressive in controlling how you use your computer, but I've seen more problems with AVG. I normally don't tell my customers to switch antivirus vendors, but sometimes I have to. I had a customer a few years ago that had purchased AVG Internet Security and who also had a very high end copy of QuickBooks Enterprise. He couldn't use the same company file on two computers because AVG blocked that ability. No ability to open any ports in AVG, either, to fix the problem. I switched him to ESET.

sgtaylor5, Jul 6, 2016
  7. bobad Win User
    I'm stunned that AVG is worth over a billion, and that Alwil has the money to buy them.

I use 360, but I hate to see the loss of competition.

bobad, Jul 6, 2016
  8. Avast to buy antivirus rival AVG for $1.3 billion

Wow! and Meh!
    There is still plenty of competition out there
    Consumer antivirus software providers for Windows
    -> maybe that's why the two giants are merging, er Avast is acquiring AVG.

Source: Avast and AVG: A Future Together

Perhaps the new entity will be called AVgast *Biggrin

Slartybart, Jul 6, 2016
  9. larc919 Win User
    Bad news! This probably means an end to AVG super deals. I'm now just starting the 4th year of essentially free AVG Antivirus Pro. I have been able to buy 2 years of protection for 3 PCs twice and get a rebate both times for the same amount I paid. Only cost was stamps to send for the rebates.

larc919, Jul 7, 2016
  10. Berton Win User
    It's a -1 for me.

Berton, Jul 7, 2016
  11. Grizzly Win User
    I used to have AVG for a long time, even as paid version. Then one day it let something through which was known for years and also slowed my email way too much. That was the end for AVG on my computers then switching to AVAST. Meanwhile AVAST became quite the resource hog and grew up to be pretty good bloatware (safe browser and other stuff that is installed automatically without my consent).

Grizzly, Jul 7, 2016
  12. Molyy Win User
    If you can't beat them, buy them!

Molyy, Jul 7, 2016
  13. Avast to buy antivirus rival AVG for $1.3 billion

I hope that doesn't happen! I don't want to use Avast. *cry Me no likey! *Smile

Computer Chicken, Jul 7, 2016
  14. dencal Win User
    Quotes from Slartybart post #6
    This confusion is because the companies are so very similar. Both company names start with the letters “AV”.
    maybe that's why the two giants are merging, er Avast is acquiring AVG.

Avira starts with the letters "AV"....hopefully not merging with the above.

dencal, Jul 7, 2016
  15. CountMike New Member
    Seems like desperate measures to parry W10 and Defender !!
    I stopped using third party resident AV half way thru W10 development and I'm none the worse for it. Less problems and slowdowns. I do regular scans with WD, Mbam, Adwcleaner, Eset online and few others and rarely get anything half nasty. Been clean as a whistle loooong time now.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Avast to buy antivirus rival AVG for $1.3 billion - Similar Threads - Avast buy antivirus

2. Uninstall AVG Antivirus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Uninstall AVG Antivirus: If I uninstall AVG antivirus while in older Windows version like Windows 7, 8 etc, is firewall still on and unsupported microsoft defender enabled back automatically?...
  3. Removing antivirus such as AVG

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing antivirus such as AVG: How do you remove AVG antivirusand stop their annoying pop-up ads? There was a tempting free trial offer to try AVG antivirus; only one of dozens on the market available to download. I was unsatisfied generally and now need to uninstall and remove it completely, mainly...
  4. Avast AntiVirus Bug

in Windows 10 Customization
    Avast AntiVirus Bug: Hi team, I have been facing this problem from yesterday, Avast anti virus installing automatically , I didn't even download the setup and I am pretty much sure I uninstalled the Anti virus yesterday but When I logged in today the anti virus program was there , I have Mcfee...
  5. Avast, AVG Antivirus users can't Update Windows 10: How to Bypass

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Avast, AVG Antivirus users can't Update Windows 10: How to Bypass: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ezehill [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e24fe4/avast_avg_antivirus_users_cant_update_windows_10/
  6. Problems with AVG & Avast

Problems with AVG & Avast: I'm having problems with both AVG and Avast...Of course those are both the free ones. So I'm looking for a different antivirus that is free and doesn't conflict with other programs. I have malwarebytes installed but I don't feel secure enough with just that. I used Avast...
  7. AVG antivirus

AVG antivirus: How do i delete AVG free antivirus and use Windows Defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avg-antivirus/56a2cde5-8281-44d6-8b52-59b691cb882d"
  8. Is Avast a safe Antivirus?

Is Avast a safe Antivirus?: I recently found a free antivirus software called Avast. I'm just wondering if it is safe to install and if it is worth it. If you can, please answer ASAP. My McAfee is running out. I have seen other users encounter BSoD(STOP) errors and viruses that made its way onto the...
  9. Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG

Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG: Security giant Avast has announced it intends to acquire fellow Czech-based antivirus software maker AVG for a purchase price of $25.00 per share in cash — resulting in a transaction that will total around $1.3 billion. Avast intends to finance the transaction using cash...
  10. Avast Antivirus Problem

Avast Antivirus Problem: Hi, I have a desktop PC and recently installed windows10 OS Then when that was up and running I went to install an antivirus. I wasn't aware that Windows Defender was part of the package and so I went to look for an antivirus program. I like Chome browser and read that...