Windows 10: AVG watchdog preventing computer from booting up

Discus and support AVG watchdog preventing computer from booting up in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Last night I noticed quite abruptly that many of my apps had stopped working and the computer in general was acting very slow. I restarted the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nathaniel Delk, Oct 10, 2016.

1. AVG watchdog preventing computer from booting up

Last night I noticed quite abruptly that many of my apps had stopped working and the computer in general was acting very slow. I restarted the computer, but after the inital Toshiba opening screen the computer went blank with a little spinning circle. After maybe a minute or two AVG Watchdog tries to initialize, fails, and appears to freeze the computer. Several times now I have attempted to boot into safe mode by pressing F8 and shift/F8 repeatedly as soon as I turn on the computer, but so far I keep getting the same result I outlined above.
    I just made an account here to ask for help, and will admit that I know the basics but am not very skilled with this type of thing. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Nathaniel Delk, Oct 10, 2016
  2. xEpson Win User

Watchdog Black Screen

So, I've been getting this black screen every time i boot up saying something about creating keylist or some ****, something about watchdog, and it's been happening since i installed avg, i can still boot up perfectly fine, but it justs annoys me, every
    time I boot up....

Please help!

xEpson, Oct 10, 2016
  3. Starting watchdog initiation on black screen

The AVG website reports the issue lies not simply with Windows 10 but with your Logitech Wireless Devices. It was recommened to remove any usb cables/dongles and re/start the pc/laptop.

Worked for me! Simple.

Now this issue of watchdog initialization error started after my laptop crashed just as i was changing the password. the answer from uByte would not work for me as (even though networking was enabled with safemode) airplane mode had been enabled (due to
    trying to prevent a cloud service from deleting files i needed) and couldn't reenable it. additionally, the old password didnt work, but neither did the new one... ?AVG watchdog preventing computer from booting up o_O?

Working on it now i can log in normally though as, as i said, removing my usb hub containing my logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo dongle bypassed the watchdog black screen. will however be uninstalling avg free to prevent this in the future (or until
    an update from logitech -as avg claim is responsible- is released...

thanks for the help uByte!

Dartis_X-UI, Oct 10, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

AVG watchdog preventing computer from booting up

AVG and Windows 10 Anniversary Update don't get on well together, apparently. See this (lengthy) thread which includes this solution from Ubyte...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0abfcd1?page=3

5. Borg 386 Win User
    Win 10 AU doesn't like much of anything it seems....*chuckle

Borg 386, Oct 10, 2016
  6. Back in the day, when AVG was still new, I used it exclusively and shared it with all my hundreds of customers.
    Well, that was then and this is now and AVG (free) has definitely become something else. I no longer use it and no longer install it for any of my customers.
    I prefer to use use Windows Defender and then supplement that with 'Super Anti-Spyware', 'Spyware Blaster', Malware Bytes Anti-Exploit, and 'Anti-Logger Free' from Zemana. Using these programs, I and my customers remain Virus and Spyware free.

So there is definitely a good alternative to AVG.

Cheers and Happy Computing,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Oct 10, 2016
  7. Thanks for the help everyone! Followed that thread and a few others and got it fixed. Uninstalled AVG and for now have Defender running while I look at other options.

Nathaniel Delk, Oct 11, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

Sorry, but I had to do this to read the OP's screen cap post, so I thought I'd share:

AVG watchdog preventing computer from booting up [​IMG]

BTW, there's a thread on the AVG support forums that addresses this issue. Startup message about Watchdog Initialization? | AVG It's covered in the post from Kishore/AVG Technologies and advises a boot into safe mode (Reboot your computer into Safe Mode | AVG Support) followed by AVG repair (Repair AVG | AVG Support).

Call me a member of the "better late than never" club: I see you've already switched to Defender.

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 11, 2016
  9. Tried this twice now and the third restart after correcting AVG locks it back up again in this loop

gadgetgeeks, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. AVG watchdog preventing computer from booting up - Similar Threads - AVG watchdog preventing

2. Need help preventing mouse from booting computer from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help preventing mouse from booting computer from sleep.: I have unchecked the setting in the power management tab that says "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep" and it has had no effect. i tried to disable devicewake via the command prompt, and it says i am not authorized to do it. So i tried to activate the hidden...
  3. Need help preventing mouse from booting computer from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help preventing mouse from booting computer from sleep.: I have unchecked the setting in the power management tab that says "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep" and it has had no effect. i tried to disable devicewake via the command prompt, and it says i am not authorized to do it. So i tried to activate the hidden...
  4. Windows 10 update 22h2 prevents my computer from booting up, stuck in loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 update 22h2 prevents my computer from booting up, stuck in loop: I downloaded and installed the windows 10 22h2 update and while trying to install it, my computer got an error that it could not start properly. I have now used a system restore, uninstalled updates, and tried to boot up in safe mode, but have been unable to get past this...
  5. Windows 10 update 22h2 prevents my computer from booting up, stuck in loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update 22h2 prevents my computer from booting up, stuck in loop: I downloaded and installed the windows 10 22h2 update and while trying to install it, my computer got an error that it could not start properly. I have now used a system restore, uninstalled updates, and tried to boot up in safe mode, but have been unable to get past this...
  6. Windows 10 update 22h2 prevents my computer from booting up, stuck in loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Avg tune up on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Avg tune up on new computer: Avg tune up is safe for a new pc running windows 10 pro ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/avg-tune-up-on-new-computer/59be856d-3bbc-4e66-af17-80524fcc2647
  8. Boot up loop. DPC Watchdog Violation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot up loop. DPC Watchdog Violation: I can’t get into my pc. Long story short, I was using my pc and needed to unplug my wall adapter for my phone behind my desk, because my regular one used was broken. I bumped my surge protectors and shut off my pc. It’s stuck on a loop of showing the manufacturer splash...
  9. Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prevent my computer from auto-powering external hard drives on boot up?: Hi there, I've noticed my external hard drives automatically power up when my computer does, and it then takes them a good half hour or more to eventually power down. Not a big deal, but it's annoying because they're noisy. I do access at least one of them regularly...
  10. avg watchdog

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    avg watchdog: I have the latest avg free I am usually quite careful not to let addons enter, I usually watch for all prechecked boxes Apparently I missed avg watchdog Winpatrol is not even able to remove it Is there a way to remove it If I totally uninstall avg and put avast on my...