Windows 10: Avoid reinstalling everything after hardware upgrades

Discus and support Avoid reinstalling everything after hardware upgrades in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On July 29th, I upgrade my 8.1 installation to windows 10 without too much problem and was properly activated. However, few days ago, I upgraded my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Linoleum77, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Avoid reinstalling everything after hardware upgrades

On July 29th, I upgrade my 8.1 installation to windows 10 without too much problem and was properly activated. However, few days ago, I upgraded my computer with a new motherboard, CPU and RAM... I kept everything as is on my hard drive, including my windows installation. All the drivers updated in less than 5 minutes and I was back on track. However, I noticed my windows 10 installation wasn't activated anymore. Tried all the "online" solutions around (waiting, SLUI 3, SLUI 4, etc).

I later read on a MS support page that, when installing or upgrading from 8 to 10, it basically takes a fingerprint of your hardware on their server...

So here's my question. Since I don't want to reinstall everything, can I...

1) unplug my W10 (unactivated) hard drive
    2) use another hard drive to install a version of windows 8 on it
    3) upgrade it to windows 10 to have my new hardware fingerprints on MS server
    4) then revert back to my initial W10 hard drive

Since all it needs is a upgrade from 8 to with the new hardware, I figured this could theoritically work.

:)

Linoleum77, Aug 18, 2015

2. Hardware upgrade with windows 10

Thank you!

But The question is more about the integrity of the settings and registry entries made by software installations prior to the upgrade.

The problem usually is the drivers and the incompatibility issues that arise when the motherboard is replaced,

as if Windows "expect" the older hardware that "suddenly" isn't there anymore and so, messes everything up.

And then the only solution is full reinstallation.. and that is what I'm trying to avoid.

Any ideas?

advices ?

tamir.dresher, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Resetting Windows 10 hangs at 8%

Yes, after making sure you have everything backed up and all program installers and any related Product Keys are available to you, always delete all partitions during the booted install to get it cleanest and avoid issues. There is nothing on the hard drive
    that assists in reactivation.

If you are sure the free Upgrade activated then the reinstall should Activate. We saw cases where this failed in the beginning but those problems were fixed as best we can tell from what users are (not) reporting.

Windows 10 activation is handled differently with no Product Key, recording your PC's unique hardware signature in the MS Activation Servers to be compared whenever you reinstall. Minor hardware changes should not trigger reactivation, but if you have a
    motherboard change follow these steps
    How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 18, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Avoid reinstalling everything after hardware upgrades

Yes, it should work once you have the new hardware with Win 10 upgraded from Win 8 activated.

NOTE: You need to re-activate Win 8 first before upgrade to Win 10.

topgundcp, Aug 18, 2015
  5. Success!! The described steps in my initial post worked! So no need to spend 4 days backing up and reinstalling everything!

Linoleum77, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Avoid reinstalling everything after hardware upgrades

1. Avoid reinstalling everything after hardware upgrades - Similar Threads - Avoid reinstalling everything

2. From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything: Because of a persistent blue screen error that they couldn't fix, Dell has given me a new computer. Both the old and the new have Windows 11 Pro. I have a server for documents, so there's minimal data. But heaps of programs and apps. Is there a way to transfer everything on...
  3. From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    From old computer to new computer, that is, avoid reinstalling everything: Because of a persistent blue screen error that they couldn't fix, Dell has given me a new computer. Both the old and the new have Windows 11 Pro. I have a server for documents, so there's minimal data. But heaps of programs and apps. Is there a way to transfer everything on...
  4. BSOD after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after hardware upgrade: Hello!I keep getting a BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR everytime I play a certain game half life alyx, and sometimes new world or run the OCCT power test for about 10-20min. I suspected the new graphics card RTX 3080, because the error disappeared when I put in my old graphics...
  5. Avoiding 2004 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Avoiding 2004 upgrade: I've upgraded several of my machines to 2004. Unfortunately that's killing my 15 yo canon inkjet. It's still working great as a printer but the scanner doesn't work as soon as I upgrade. Perhaps understandable and I'd buy a new one except that I've got a ton of ink and the...
  6. Activating after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating after hardware upgrade: I know NOW that i should have linked my license to my Microsoft account and gotten a product key. I didn't know that before I changed my motherboard, cpu and memory. My question is, if I now change back to my old hardware, will Windows be activated again and can I then do...
  7. BSOD after hardware upgrade.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after hardware upgrade.: In order of events: - Upgraded i5-6600k + msi z170a board to ryzen 3700x + asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 - Installed all drivers from new motherboard website - Started getting frequent bsod, at first "memory management" then other error codes - Ran windows memory diagnostic...
  8. Reinstalling Win10 after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Win10 after hardware upgrade: I will be upgrading my PC with all new hardware and will have to reinstall Win10 in the process. I have Windows ready to install from a USB drive, and I just want to be sure that my personal (as opposed to my work) account is what I will need to activate Windows once it is...
  9. Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change

Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change: Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows 10 before I needed to change the faulty drive. The drive got changed by the repairer but the could only install Windows 7 (that was originally came with the laptop when I bought it). How do I upgrade to Windows 10 without buying a new...
  10. Activation after hardware upgrade

Activation after hardware upgrade: Just a quick question please, is there any way of reactivating a digital entitlement license obtained by upgrading from Win7 for free, on upgraded hardware, without having to link a MS account? Privacy issues and all that...I know phone activation worked for me with Win7 once...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. have to reinstall everything after hardware upgrade

2. reinstalling sofware on upgraded hardware