Windows 10: Avoiding Auto-logon at startup

Discus and support Avoiding Auto-logon at startup in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have the latest W10 edition/update and now find that I must use my password to open up my laptop. Luckily I still knew it so I was able to log on;... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ALANGR, May 31, 2018.

1. ALANGR Win User

Avoiding Auto-logon at startup

I have the latest W10 edition/update and now find that I must use my password to open up my laptop. Luckily I still knew it so I was able to log on; but I want to remove this step.

What happens at power up is that the laptop sits with a picture screen and says that the password is invalid. Then I type my password and all is OK - but clearly the pwd is not reset.

I have looked around for workarounds and have been into settings finding that 'the requirement for users to logon' is NOT checked.

I also see at the initial password entry stage that there are three different options; I cannot recall just what they are but one has a key one refers to a local logon and one refers to Microsoft as far as I can remember.

Ant ideas as to the best way forward would be much appreciated!

Thanks

:)

ALANGR, May 31, 2018
Thema:

Avoiding Auto-logon at startup

1. Avoiding Auto-logon at startup - Similar Threads - Avoiding Auto logon

2. Auto display logon at boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto display logon at boot: I have a couple of computers. One has Windows 11 Pro and at boot up when the system is ready it automatically displays the login screen. You know it is all set to go. I also have Windows 11 Home and Windows 10. These systems do not automatically display the login. The screen...
  3. Auto display logon at boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto display logon at boot: I have a couple of computers. One has Windows 11 Pro and at boot up when the system is ready it automatically displays the login screen. You know it is all set to go. I also have Windows 11 Home and Windows 10. These systems do not automatically display the login. The screen...
  4. Logon loop on startup.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Logon loop on startup.: Hi, After a restart on my Lenovo Thinkpad t490, I entered my pin as usual. However, after the welcome message it returned to the lock screen and did not sign on. I restarted the computer and tried again many times, but I was never able to logon. My operating sustem is...
  5. Auto Logon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Auto Logon: I have been using Auto Logon on my home PC for years. In the past I used netplwiz to set it up. I recently reloaded my computer OS due to ongoing Blue Screen issues. I use Microsoft's create media tool to create a bootable thumb drive and installed from there. Went to...
  6. Logon/fast startup questions.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Logon/fast startup questions.: Is there a way to stop windows from auto logging into an account that isn’t password protected? Also, If I turn on my computer and sign into my account sometimes either something that I left open when it turned it off will be back and open. Or if I know I’m the only one...
  7. Logon script runs at startup and not at user logon

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon script runs at startup and not at user logon: I have 3 PCs, and my logon script in my Group Policy (C:\WINDOWS\System32\GroupPolicy\User\Scripts\Logon) runs as expected at user logon in all 3 PCs. However, in my fourth PC, the logon script runs at startup prior to a user logging onto this PC. I cannot seem to figure out...
  8. Avoiding logon at startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Avoiding logon at startup: I have the latest W10 edition/update and now find that I must use my password to open up my laptop. Luckily I still knew it so I was able to log on; but I want to remove this step. What happens at power up is that the laptop sits with a picture screen and says that the...
  9. Auto logon to virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Auto logon to virtual machine: I have three people using the same PC, each with their own logon. Two of those people are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier and are likely to click on any link anywhere. They only use the PC for browsing and browser-based emails so don't need to keep anything between...
  10. no auto logon or sleep setting.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    no auto logon or sleep setting.: running new HP 23 all-in-one win 8.1. took 6 tries to upgrade to win 10. always locked up on preparing for installation. after running w10 I set to logon auto without password and set sleep to 20 min. then restarted, it asked for password and it was incorrect. hit ok and two...