Windows 10: Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics)

Discus and support Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have setup an Azure AD user with first name and last name containing diacritics (example ș and ț). At the first login of this user o an computer a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by StefanSuceveanu, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics)

I have setup an Azure AD user with first name and last name containing diacritics (example ș and ț).

At the first login of this user o an computer a profile is created and a folder in \User\ is created too from his first&last name.

The issue is that not all application works (example Outlook) because cannot acces the user folder. In case of Outlook it didn't start and the error shows something related to a missing registered .dll but this the effect not the root cause (see bellow).

If remove the user profile from the computer and rename in Azure AD the first & last name with pure ASCII characters and do the login again it's work.

This issue is old one from Windows 7 and until nou I cannot find a way to setup the correct user first name and last name. This issue I found is only the name contains ș, ț, ă but not if contains â, î.

Can you help me with a solution to use the real user name (the correct one) and to not have issues with starting application, please?

Best regards,

Ștefan

:)

StefanSuceveanu, Oct 7, 2018
  2. Dino-M Win User

Disconnecting on prem AD and then joining Azure AD creates new Windows profile?

Hello everyone,

I have a question about joining computers in my firm from on prem AD to Azure AD. When someone new arrives at our firm (new employee), there is a fresh installation of Windows 10. It is easy to join Azure AD
    because it is a fresh start, but now we have to migrate all Windows 10 users that are on prem AD to Azure AD. When I disconnect those users from our local on prem AD and join them to Azure AD, whole new Windows 10 profile is created, without any of settings,
    data or anything else on that profile (clean profile with few applications that are installed computer-wide). So my question is, is there any solution to keep their profile settings from before they joined Azure AD? Or I will have to simply tell them to backup
    everything (essential data).

What I tried so far:

• Tried tools for migration like ForensiT (User Profile Wizard, User Profile Manager and Transwiz, just to see if it is going to work) - not successful
    • Tried changing profile path from registry - not successful
    • Tried log in with the old credentials example: CONTOSO\user (because after I joined that computer to Azure AD user should log in as *** Email address is removed for privacy ***) - not successful
    Is there anything else I can try? Thanks for your answers.

Dino-M, Oct 7, 2018
  3. JoPenCo Win User
    Problem with Arabic diacritic formatting using Character MAp

Problem with Character Map in Word. WHen I try to insert an Arabic diacritic of a dot under an 'h', for example, I get this but then also a letter space which cannot be deleted. When I try to delete the space it deletes the letter with the diacritic.

JoPenCo, Oct 7, 2018
  4. Barman58 Win User

Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics)

Special characters in Win10

By Older versions I'm aware of some companies using Office suites designed / released in the early days of XP. 2013 and 2016 should be using the same Keyboard maps, and other background services

I've just had a look at Outlook, ( I run my calendar and email online so do not directly use Outlook day to day), and there is an option to "Insert Symbols", this also gives an option to assign these Symbols, (which include all the Diacritals I've seen in my time in IT), to your own keyboard shortcuts - so the characters that you need do seem to be supported, (although in a slightly non standard way), Maybe you could assign shortcuts to your most used "special characters" to combinations similar to that you were using.

Barman58, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics)

1. Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics) - Similar Threads - Azure user name

2. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  3. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Name should not contain special character: File Name should not contain special character https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-name-should-not-contain-special-character/33c60b93-6eaf-431c-a6e7-241edde7e640
  4. File Name should not contain special character

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  6. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  7. Special characters in file names

8. Software with special character in the name is not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Software with special character in the name is not running: There is a piece of software that I am trying to run on my pc Levelator 2.1.1 but it does not start after installing.I tried to figure out what's wrong and I noticed one thing after trying it on a friend's computer. The end of the software's name on my friend's computer has...
  9. Software with special character in the name is not running

Software with special character in the name is not running: There is a piece of software that I am trying to run on my pc Levelator 2.1.1 but it does not start after installing.I tried to figure out what's wrong and I noticed one thing after trying it on a friend's computer. The end of the software's name on my friend's computer has...
  10. special character ¥

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    special character ¥: I usually use three languages, English, Traditional Chinese and Japanese. And I, always, need to type the specail character "¥" using the keyboard combination of [ALT]165, but this cannot be done using English language keyboard, it will return a "?", only when I switch to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. azure ad windows username firstname lastname

2. problem with user folder with diacritics

3. special characters ad user name

4. diacritic distinguished name AD,
  5. azure ad character,
  6. ad username problem allowed characters -,
  7. azure ad sso gmail special character,
  8. azure users with swedish characters,
  9. azure and upn and special characters,
  10. windows ad username diacritics,
  11. azure special characters in the username,