Windows 10: Back and restore M.2 SSD using an image

Discus and support Back and restore M.2 SSD using an image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello Masters! I just bought a new notebook which is an inspiron 746, its a dual drive notebook with a normal SATA drive and an M.2 Slot. It uses... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mitchb, Sep 8, 2017.

1. mitchb Win User

Back and restore M.2 SSD using an image

Hello Masters!

I just bought a new notebook which is an inspiron 746, its a dual drive notebook with a normal SATA drive and an M.2 Slot. It uses the M.2 Slot for the primary disk which it boots on. I have a spare M.2 (256GB) which is bigger than the one that came with the notebook (128) and want to swap it out. I want to clone this but i do not have a M.2 enclosure. Is there a possibility to image the stock 128GB M.2 drive and store it on an external drive and restore it on the 256GB drive when installed on the notebook. If yes, what back up/ restore software should i use? thanks!

:)

mitchb, Sep 8, 2017
  2. LeeB1430 Win User

Safe Mode

Wayne,

No, the problem SSD was a Samsung 840 Pro on a desktop. I was only using the XPS 15 to test getting into safe mode.

But that brings up another problem. There is currently no way to clone an M.2 NVMe SSD on a laptop as no one appears to make a USB 3 to NVMe x4 adapter. One must do an image backup to an external drive and then a restore to the new M.2 NVMe x4 SSD.

Some image backup programs don't support NVMe x4 PCIe and don't work. I have found Macrium Reflect, paid version, does work. And probably Windows 10's recovery as Win 10 supports NVMe in most cases. The only other possible way is to put the NVMe drives in
    a desktop that has multiple M.2 NVMe slots to clone it. My next build will have 3, 1 for it's boot drive and 2 for this sort of work.

Lee

LeeB1430, Sep 8, 2017
  3. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Sep 8, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Sep 8, 2017
  5. Phone Man Win User
    Use Macrium to make a full disk image. Then under Other Task - Create Bootable Rescue Media.(USB or CD)
    Shutdown system, swap drives and boot from the Rescue Media. It should boot and auto load Macrium. Restore to new disk.

Macrium site has good tutorials.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Sep 8, 2017
  6. mitchb Win User
    Thank you *Smile much appreciated!

mitchb, Sep 8, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Look in our own tutorial section - tutorials on Macrium are super.

cereberus, Sep 8, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

So does our own forum tutorial section. If anything I would say ours by mostly by @Kari are better.

cereberus, Sep 8, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    I just did that with a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop that came with an M.2 2280 SSD. Upgraded the M.2 SSD to double the size. As others have noted, I created a backup (disc image) of the existing M.2 SSD, all partitions, using Macrium Reflect. I had a Macrium bootable flash drive so I didn't have to create that. Installed the new M.2 SSD, booted with the Flash drive and restored to the new M.2 SSD. I also used Mini Tool Partition Wizard to expand the "C" partition on the new higher capacity drive to the full drive size. Macrium has been reported it will do that too but I've never tried that. I already had Mini Tool Partition Wizard so I used that.

fireberd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Back and restore M.2 SSD using an image - Similar Threads - restore SSD using

2. how to use SSD M.2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to use SSD M.2?: Ive gotten this installed onto my mother board already, formatted it, and confirmed i have 1.8 TB of extra space in a New Volume D:. Say i have 10 GB left on my computers original storage, if i went over that limit would my actions i.e. downloading just over flow into the New...
  3. how to use SSD M.2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to use SSD M.2?: Ive gotten this installed onto my mother board already, formatted it, and confirmed i have 1.8 TB of extra space in a New Volume D:. Say i have 10 GB left on my computers original storage, if i went over that limit would my actions i.e. downloading just over flow into the New...
  4. how to use SSD M.2?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. ?M.2 or ssd

?M.2 or ssd: My ? board has a M-2 slot, will that act the same as a ssd. I'm looking at a Kingmax M-2 2280 B /M SATAIII 256GB. This stuff is confusing to me some times sorry for the confusion while asking my ?s. I have so much new storage in my system now all I'm trying to do is get all...
  6. Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Restore Windows to NVMe M.2 SSD: I've been using my newly-built PC for a few months, but I had to go out of town for six weeks. About two days after I returned, Windows 10 prompted me to update from the April 2018 release before the end of November as support will end by then. So, I selected the update. I...
  7. M.2 SSD's

M.2 SSD's: Does anyone here run their OS on an M.2 SSD? And if so, do you notice any difference in speed than a regular SSD? 114991
  8. M.2 ssd's

M.2 ssd's: Hi all just to ask I have a asus z170ar I have a intell 520 ssd and just wanted to upgrade to a m.2 and was looking at a samsung nvme m.2 960 evo 500gig or a pro, my mob say it is a m.2 pcie m type. would it fit? 105095
  9. m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    m.2 ssd: Hi all can you clone a ssd to a m.2 ssd, making the m.2 ssd the boot drive? 68728
  10. M.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    M.2 ssd: Hello, I need some help. I hope I choose the right forum section, newbie here. I purchased a MyDigitalSSD 128GB (MDM242-SBe-128) from Amazon.com, I want to prepare this drive for use in my Dell 3050 mini PC to increase the boot drive size from 32gb to 128gb. The Dell...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. m.2 ssd backup image

2. restore back up using m.2 ssd