Windows 10: Back to Windows 7

Discus and support Back to Windows 7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 14 5000 Series only to find out that it hasn't and won't be tested for Windows 10. The very same OS it came with! I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gobackto3point1, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Back to Windows 7

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 14 5000 Series only to find out that it hasn't and won't be tested for Windows 10. The very same OS it came with! I have had Windows 10 problems non-stop with various things; Skype not installing, Webcam not working and more. I have just come to the end. So I intend to use my older Toshiba Satellite and migrate Win7 across to the newer Dell.

I can't just roll back so I guess this is going to be a full uninstall of Win10 followed by an install of Win7, by use of the activation key, as the laptop didn't come with any discs.

I would very interested to here what the experts have to say on the matter. Any hints?

:)

gobackto3point1, Mar 2, 2016

2. Rolling Windows 10 back to 7 then back to 10 - can it be done

If you upgrade to win 10 and activate it, you can roll back and then re-upgrade at a later date BUT every time you roll back or upgrade you introduce errors into the system which can become substantial.

Better to simply upgrade and stick with it

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Mar 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 back to Windows 7 then back to Windows 10

My bad, as we all expected. After returning to Windows 7, I noticed that there was a system restore done just before I started the upgrade to 10. I restored to that version in 7. Subsequently, I noticed that the Upgrade to

Windows 10 Pro update was no longer in the system. So, I did another system update, and got the update for Windows 10 again. Now, the system is just waiting for me to start the upgrade process.

Thanks

Retired Shark, Mar 2, 2016
  4. prem1103 Win User

Back to Windows 7

Installing Windows 7 will be very easy, but you have to consider does driver available for windows 7 ????
    please check you driver availability details before do anything...

prem1103, Mar 2, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    If your new Dell Inspiron comes with Windows 10 pre-installed, then the only way to install Windows 7 is to have a genuine Windows 7 software and product key and do a Clean Install.

Is your Toshiba come pre-installed with Windows 7 ?
    If yes, that Win 7 product key is non-transferrable.

Meaning, you don't have a valid Win 7 product key, and without a valid Win 7 product key, you can NOT do a Clean Install.
    In doing a clean install, the very first thing the installer asks for is the product key. Without a genuine product key, install will not proceed.

And yes, the drivers compatibility is also in question.

davidhk, Mar 2, 2016
  6. Good point Prem. I'll bear that in mind.

gobackto3point1, Mar 2, 2016
  7. Ah... davidhk to the rescue once more. Good points to ponder. Many thanks

gobackto3point1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Back to Windows 7